Measurement Request - '26 Roadster Top

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TMiller6
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 16, 24, 26 Touring - 26 Roadster and Fordor
MTFCA Number: 14069
Board Member Since: 2006

Measurement Request - '26 Roadster Top

Post by TMiller6 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:44 pm

Short version: Can someone please provide me with the dimensional location of the sockets on the main bow? These are the ones that attach the sail panel and side curtains.

Long Version:
There are no '26 Runabouts at the T-Museum or the Henry Ford for me to take measurements; I checked.
Five Mill.png
I have two photos that originally came from Dan Treace. While these are a good reference I am hoping for measurements prior to drilling holes in new top irons.
DT top snip.png
DT top snip.png (261.62 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
DT old top marked.png
DT old top marked.png (212.53 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
In regard to the fasteners, I may have found something close to original. There are the top snaps from the top of the Model A windshield. While they lack the spring loaded cover, it still retains the two prongs of the fastener and has sufficient shoulder for the side curtain grommet. The missing spring loaded cover is not visible when the top is stacked or when it it is up.
model a windshield snaps.png
model a windshield snaps.png (246.55 KiB) Viewed 3460 times

As received, the fastener hole was undersize and would not accept the snap. I enlarged it using a small socket and my vise.
snap engaged.png
snap engaged.png (246.54 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
Bottom Line: Any help with the socket locations is appreciated.
Tom Miller
One who cannot find beauty in an engine cannot find beauty in the universe.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Measurement Request - '26 Roadster Top

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:15 pm

I have a 26, however it has the wrong top bows. They were made for a 25 or earlier, but it does fit on a 26 even though not correct.
The big difference is that the original top bows, the rear bow has a curve near the location where it bolts to the body. This curve allows the top bow to be a few inches farther back. So if your rear bow has that curve, it is correct for your car.
Norm

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:10 pm

Tom

Since you have new bow irons, they maybe a tad off original dimensions. If made proper lengths, then this Ford print for the touring may assist, as the rear bow is similar.

C39171B2-FDEB-438D-B196-5B4B8196304D.jpeg
Source: MTFCI webpage, Technical Information. 1926-27 Top bows.

IMO, the better way is to first have on hand the new side curtains, and rear panel to place first to be sure the fit is tight when you fit the sockets to the top irons, and the side curtain too. Then make the holes into the new metal irons, and at the same time fit the curtain fasteners to the fabric curtains and rear panel to align with the new sockets in the irons.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:39 pm

Can’t help you with the measurements, Tommy, but I have one set of trap door fasteners still here. I sold several sets over the last couple year, and this is it, unless I find another hoard. Tmorsher@icloud.com if interested

Topic author
TMiller6
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 16, 24, 26 Touring - 26 Roadster and Fordor

Post by TMiller6 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:37 am

Some replies to those who posted.

Norman, My bows are curved at the ends where they mount.

Dan, thanks for the touring print. I have a set of,26-7 Touring top irons and they appear to be different to the point where I would be more comfortable with reference dimensions off another roadster. I may also try the Benson Ford to see if I can find a print.

Tim, thanks for your offer. Check your email, I replied and look forward to talking to you
Tom Miller

Arnie
First Name: Arnie
Last Name: Johansen

Post by Arnie » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:34 pm

Tom:

Perhaps the 15,000,000 Model T Touring which is a 1927 may have the information on the rear bow that you need. That vehicle, to the best of my knowledge is at the Henry Ford. Perhaps the 1926 runabout and the 1927 touring have similar rear bows with the fastener you are interested in.

I believe the rear side curtain for the 1926/1927 runabout and touring are the same. Someone else perhaps can confirm this. I hope this helps in getting the dimensions you are looking for.

Arnie

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:47 am

Tom,

I have a '26 Roadster, I've no idea if it matters but as it's ex-U.S. it should be ok to get the measurements from.

Unfortunately I may not be able to get to it 'till Wed morning our time, however if no-one else has come up with anything I'll check it out then and post the information for you.

Topic author
TMiller6

Post by TMiller6 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:59 am

Thanks Luke. I really appreciate it if you would measure yours.
Tom Miller

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:45 am

Tom,

See the drawing below. Is this what you were looking for?

I hope it's clear enough - unfortunately I was struggling with low light due to some faulty fluro tubes so the sketch isn't as good as it could be (and it just 'grew' rather organically).

With my car I discovered that there appeared to be 3 original dome fasteners (one of which was just a small hole where I guess a rivet/screw would have gone through), and two new ones - the latter fitting the new top that's on the car. I've differentiated these in the drawing.

To be clear; the dimensions are in mm, and the drawing is looking from the outside of the RHS bow through to the fasteners on the inside. I hope that makes sense? Please let me know if there's anything else you need, now I've got the hood partly up it's not too hard to take some more measurements.

Also, I will try and improve the light in order to have a better look tomorrow, or the weekend and will update if I find any anomalies - the old adage "measure twice, cut once" springs to mind!

t_roadster_hood_bow_arm.png

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:05 am

Tom, in case you are not familiar with converting mm to inches...

Inches = mm/25.4

For example, the 250mm dimension in Luke's drawing would be 9 27/32 inches.

Topic author
TMiller6

Post by TMiller6 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:17 pm

Luke,

Thank you! That’s exactly what I need. Thanks for including the reference dimensions back to the mounts.

I appreciate you making the journey to measure your car.

Mark, thanks for the 25.4 reminder. I still have my metric scales from the Ford ERIKA project and speak millimeter fairly well.
Tom Miller

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic