Model T Brake Is Pretty Good

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Model T Brake Is Pretty Good

Post by RustyFords » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Ok...that statement may cause some eyebrows to be raised, but bear with me....

In my build thread (see link below), I talked about how I wasn't adjusting the brake band properly, this was causing the brake to be pretty mushy and insufficient. I drove the car like this for a while and, sadly, got kind of used to it.

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 29#p112929

Once I learned the error of my ways however, I was impressed with how adequate the Model T tranmission brake is when everything is in working order and properly adjusted.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to go sliding around any corners or attempting to stop on a dime. I'll still do all the wise things like using engine braking and anticipating stops well in advance, but when following these rules, I find the transmission brake to be very adequate....almost, dare I say, good. 8-)

Have I lost my mind?
1924 Touring

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Model T Brake Is Pretty Good

Post by DHort » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:18 pm

I agree with you Don. I have more issues backing up. The bows are so high I do not see that little car parked behind me. No problem stopping with the cars in front of me, at least the ones that know how to drive.

Topic author
RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:25 pm

DHort wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:18 pm
I agree with you Don. I have more issues backing up. The bows are so high I do not see that little car parked behind me. No problem stopping with the cars in front of me, at least the ones that know how to drive.
Yeah...I can see that.

I haven't had top bows on my car since I revived it. As I get closer to the point where I'll be installing the top, I keep wondering about how limited my rear view is going to be. I have a rear view mirror mounted on the center of my windshield frame and I look at it constantly. I find it critical to know who's approaching from the rear and how fast. Without that knowledge, I think I'll be much less confident in my driving.

Since my car is not a restoration, I'm considering adding a roll-up flap in the rear.
1924 Touring

Topic author
RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:40 pm

DHort wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:18 pm
...........No problem stopping with the cars in front of me, at least the ones that know how to drive.
That really narrows down the number
1924 Touring

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:02 pm

Last year a guy parked a brand new Mustang right behind me. Never saw it. I had to back up. Bang!

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:33 pm

A couple of things. It is good to have brakes on the rear wheels even though the transmission brake is working. If you have a failure in the drive train from the U joint to the axle, your wheel brakes will stop the car. I like three sets of brakes on my cars. 1. the transmission brake. 2 the parking brake.
3. the Rocky Mountain brakes or Hydraulic rear wheel brakes. When I apply the Rocky Mountain brakes both the rear wheel brakes and the transmission brake work together and the car stops very well. The parking brake will also apply the Rocky Mountain Brakes when you pull the lever tight.
The other thing is when you are parked, and wish to pull out, it is a good idea with any car, but especially with a T to get out and walk around the car first before you back up. If you are in a car with no door on the drivers side, but have a passenger, ask them to get out and walk around and let you know what is behind you.
Norm

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

REAR VIEW CAMERA

Post by Novice » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:36 pm

They make small wireless back up and bluetooth cameras You can put on the rear of Your car about the size of Your thumb some mount on the license plate frame and You can view the rear of Your car on Your I phone or small screen. even record video of who tailended You while You were eating dinner.

Topic author
RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Rocky Mountain Brakes are on the “to-do” list...just not in the budget yet. 😉
1924 Touring

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:24 am

The stock Model T “service brake” can lock up the rear wheels on dry pavement when properly adjusted. All else is fail-safe (and reasonably considered). Skidding isn’t stopping.
"Get a horse !"

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:55 am

If I was going to add brakes to one of my T’s I think I would go with AC brakes. I met the owner at Chickasha a few years ago and checked them out. Probably Rocky Mountain brakes are the most popular but the AC brakes are pretty good too. In my mind they’ve been under the radar for many years. Then there’s disc brakes that came out not to many years ago.

Another topic that’s got different ideas and which is the best. It can get interesting!

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:09 am

I think there are more than kind of AC brakes. On my 26 Roadster I bought a new set of brakes, I think from Chaffin's, but maybe from somewhere else (It was 30 years ago). Anyway, they appear to be the same as the currently sold Rocky Mountain Brakes for the large drum axle. The parts are identical except the logo cast into the yoke which bolts to the rear drum says AC. I have seen some others which are made to fit the small drum axles which are different from Rocky Mountain brakes. They use the original drums. There is an advantage in using larger drums in that it increases the braking power, however the way they are made, they don't work very well in reverse. I have heard that the company now has changed the brake so it works better in reverse than the older ones.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic