1909 - 1910 Drive Shaft questions.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

1909 - 1910 Drive Shaft questions.

Post by VowellArt » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:52 am

Ok, silly me I thought that there were only 2 variations of the drive shaft (ha,ha,ha) every time I get to thinking something is going to be breeze, I get pulled up short with a wrinkle....or 2.

There is an inside hardened race that is pressed onto the drive shaft for the Roller Bearing that doesn't seem to appear until 1911, so my question is, if that hardened surface was added in 1911, was the drive shaft itself turned down to allow for the addition of this sleeve/race? Which would suggest that the driveshaft was much too soft for the Hyatt bearing to work on for any length of time. Does anybody have any pictures of this assembly or at least know what is and is not on the Roller Bearing side of things.

Also it appears that in 1911, there was some sort of spacer/washer between the Roller Bearing and ? I've no idea where this spacer/washer goes either, if you could point out where this bloody thing goes I'd appreciate that too.

How many different variations of the Drive Shaft are there? Like I said earlier I thought there were only 2, but now I'm thinking there may be more than I had initially anticipated....as it stands now (with the possible addition of the hardened inside race surface for the Roller Bearing), 1909-1910 (without it), 1911-1913 (with it), 1914-1927 (also with it)....or is there another one between 14 and 27?

The early Ball Mounting Ring is only on 1909-1913?

Pictures would be appreciated and any knowledge you have of these assemblies, would also be very appreciated....if you haven't guessed, the Drive Shaft is my drawing project of the moment, soooo, if you got any pictures of your early cars with their DS (Drive Shaft) out and being repaired, I'd love to see them, thanks. ;)
Fun never quits!

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Re: 1909 - 1910 Drive Shaft questions.

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:46 am

The 1909-10 Ts did not have a roller bearing for the pinion end of the drive shaft. There was simply a large babbit bearing that supported the drive shaft and had a flange to take the end thrust.

Stephen

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:23 am

Without checking my parts book, I believe the part Mr. Vowell is referring to is called a driveshaft roller bearing distance plate, and is placed between the thrust bearing and the drive shaft sleeve.

Topic author
VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Stephen, was this babbit bearing cast into the spool? or were there 2 of them and pressed in for both sides? How was it lubricated (babbit requires lubrication)? Was there a grease cup on top where the locating plug/pin is now, or an oiler? Or did they rely upon the differential juice to splash up and lub it that way?

Thanks Larry, that's what I needed to know!
Fun never quits!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic