3-speed transmission questions

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Commander_Chaos
First Name: Allen
Last Name: Hanford

3-speed transmission questions

Post by Commander_Chaos » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:44 am

I was watching Jay Leno's Garage and there was a Model T whose owner mentioned having added a Chicago 3-speed. I looked around and there appear to have been other manufacturers, as well. Are these expensive/hard to find?

Also wondering how they work. I realize that the 3-speed box is in addition to the original planetary 2-speed with its own lever but does that mean putting the 2 speed transmission in neutral while the three speed is shifted?

Angmar
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Bailey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 50335
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: 3-speed transmission questions

Post by Angmar » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:17 am

There were many options offered for the T back in the day that provided a direct, under and overdrive. I have had 2 Jumbo Giant units in previous T's, worked well for me. The Warford units are popular also. Keep in mind that if you plan to install one of these, consider adding accessory brakes to your car because in neutral you will have no way of stopping.
Still crankin old iron

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:03 am

Yes... I feather the clutch into neutral with my left foot when I shift my original Warford
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Topic author
Commander_Chaos
First Name: Allen
Last Name: Hanford

Post by Commander_Chaos » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:52 am

So the 3-speed box has neutral, as well?

I'm figuring front disc brakes would a necessity with this modification.

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Post by John.Zibell » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:11 am

Commander_Chaos wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:52 am
So the 3-speed box has neutral, as well?

I'm figuring front disc brakes would a necessity with this modification.
Rock Mountain, AC, or the modern disc brake setup is all you need. Front brakes would take considerable re-enforcement of the front axle support system. I have the modern Layne Warford and it is great to have a real neutral to roll the car around or just when needed. http://www.laynemachine.com/index.html
1926 Tudor

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by George House » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Oh yeah, the Warford and Muncie have neutrals. But you don’t ever want to be in their neutrals while the T is underway. You’ll have no service brakes (T tranny)...By placing the T tranny in neutral, one can develop the technique of shifting the accy tranny without grinding gears.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Razor Strap

Post by Novice » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:20 pm

And in addition to the sound of the belt going through the loops. learning what a razor strap is good for besides sharping a straight razor. Ax Me How I know!

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Never had the pleasure of hearing the razor strap or the belt tearing through the belt loops. I am sure I felt the jolt of leather on my backside, but then my big sister taught me how to laugh when it smacks. After that, just seeing the belt in his hands was enough.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:00 pm

DHort wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:58 pm
Never had the pleasure of hearing the razor strap or the belt tearing through the belt loops. I am sure I felt the jolt of leather on my backside, but then my big sister taught me how to laugh when it smacks. After that, just seeing the belt in his hands was enough.
Anticipation is worse than the actual punishment !
Attachments
blt.jpg
blt.jpg (1.36 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:06 am

The Warfords seem to be easiest to find. Someone mentioned the new Layne which is very nice. I normally never use the clutch when shifting. A little practice and you can sync the engine rpm to the tranny. The underdrive is great for slower driving like parades, driveways, trailer loading and residential areas under 20. I really like the OD which lowers the rpm for highway driving.
I have copies of the McNearny, Big Four original outside front brakes and Bennett outside brakes on the rear. You would be ok with any of the aftermarket Outside brakes especially if you have the late drums. The Early front axle only needs a double wishbone for safety. Should have one anyway if you plan to drive much. later cars are fine. I have seen a couple Very neat front wheel disc brakes which were small and looked ok but it's opinion.

I wouldn't have a Model T without a Warford if it's a daily type driver or for longer tours. You can find the older Alum ones quite often and very reasonable.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic