CLASSIC COLLECTORS INS. LEAVES TEXAS

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

CLASSIC COLLECTORS INS. LEAVES TEXAS

Post by Novice » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:49 pm

I got a Dear Jim letter from Classic Collectors ins co stating they would no longer conduct business in Texas as of 11-25-2020. I have been a customer of theirs for close to twenty years and always thought they were a good company. no problems or claims in that time. They are trying to get all their former customers to switch over to Hagerty Insurance which will send all current policy holders a new business replacement offer before they lose Classic coverage. I need to do some research and see what other insurance companies are writing model Ts and classics. It has been My experience that what's best for a insurance company may not be what's best for You. I have heard good things about JC Taylor ins co. what are some other carriers that forum members have experience with and recommend.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: CLASSIC COLLECTORS INS. LEAVES TEXAS

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:16 pm

I am still with J. C. Taylor but never had a claim. Friends say Hagerty or Grundy are much better. Another friend just switched to Triple A as they opened a local office. He really likes it and we know the general manager from a Glidden tour they helped sponsor. Apparently they gave him a great deal.
When did I do that?

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:48 pm

Over the years I have had Grundy, Taylor and now Haggerty. All of them offer fine coverage. Haggerty seemed to offer the best all round coverage for me as I have a mix of cars and the coverage with 100% assessed value was and easy decision. They have not had large raises in premiums over a ten to twelve year span.

Topic author
Novice
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

DEFAULT TO HAGGERTY

Post by Novice » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:38 pm

Thanks. Rich & Dick for the information. Dick I too have a assortment of cars. and 100% coverage value is what I now have with Classic So their default to Haggerty might work out. I will be waiting to see what Haggerty does in the take over and if they will cover all My cars. and see what their rate structure is. If You own a model T/A or classic car speciality insurance is a must. My regular car ins company would charge the same as they charge for a new car. and if there was a claim total the car and give me fifty bucks maybe. and now I am seeing age related rate creep. but they wont admit it. Installed their monitoring system in both family cars for a month and it was funny to watch the score go down fast and come up slow when their program said You accelerated or braked too fast. Yes when some one pulls out in front of me I brake DAMN! Fast unless I am in the T and then I TRY. Beat the system in My pickup. installed the monitoring system drove it a time or two and parked it for the rest of the month. PERFECT SCORE.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:32 pm

Before you decide on any company read the fine print. Like how and where the car is stored. Some will only cover a car over a certain value. Between my storage and value of cars, none would cover mine.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:44 pm

I had a claim with Hagerty last summer that was considered 100% my fault. Only $700. My premium did not change. I will stay right where I am.

JRSpada4
Last Name: Spadafore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49891
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by JRSpada4 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:47 am

I’ve had a good experience with American Modern Insurance Group. Like most antique insurers, they do require the vehicle to be stored in a locked, permanent structure, and they will want photos of the storage location as well as photos of the vehicle. They base the coverage amount on agreed upon value. I had to file a claim a couple years ago when I was hit and the process was pretty painless. I’m currently getting $12,000 coverage for about $120 / year.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:33 am

I use the foreign firm from the old country of "Guido - Guido & Antonio" They just kick the crap out of anyone who wrecks your car until they pay for it. I had a minor fender bender once and the other driver hasn't been heard from since! :shock:

I have State Farm, have always paid on time, never filed a claim but the agent I have sucks! She NEVER returns phone calls or e-mails to answer my inquiries about combining home and auto etc. so I'm looking to change companies. The agent I had before her was Ok. So I'm asking do the antique car insurers offer a combo home and auto ?
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Commander_Chaos
First Name: Allen
Last Name: Hanford

Post by Commander_Chaos » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:37 pm

I have my motorcycles and car with Hagerty. I haven't had to file a claim but my dad did when he crashed his motorcycle and they were excellent.

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:40 pm

I think I've replied to a zillion similar posts about insurance. It's not about cost-it's performance! You won't know if your company is any good until you have a claim!!! FWIW, my money goes to J.C. Taylor. Yes, I've had a claim and know several our local members who also have, including one who drives a Packard and earned the nickname "flaming eight." Without question, their level of service and the end result were outstanding in every respect. Besides that - they have been long-standing supporters of the old car hobby in many ways. Terry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic