Free Stromberg OF information

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Free Stromberg OF information

Post by StanHowe » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:34 pm

Here is a little free information regarding Stromberg OF carburetors.

Not all OF's were for Model T's. There was also a version made for Overland cars. The major differences are:

1. The mounting holes are slightly further apart to fit the Overland manifold.

2. The mounting holes are not threaded as the T version of the OF is, they are are drilled slightly over 3/8 to allow the use of a bolt and nut set.

3. The throttle arm is different. The Overland arm has a "dip" built into it to shorten the length from throttle shaft to attachment point. (Note that this shorter arm was also used on the last OF's for T's after Ford changed to the shorter throttle arm on the late 25 cars. I have only seen one or two of these shorter arms on OF's for T's out of 1000+++ OF's.)

4. Some of the Overland versions have a longer throttle shaft and a clamp type arm attached to the shaft above the more familiar arm to allow the attachment of a hand throttle rod. Not all.

5. Some of the Overland versions have a clamp to attach a wound spring wire choke cable and some do not. Most that I have seen the piece with two points that stop the movement of the choke is attached but the extension has been cut off where the choke wire would have clamped.

6. The bleeder screw used with the Overland version is slightly larger than the Ford T version.

My best guess is that Overland changed some elements of mounting their carbs to the stock manifold and Stromberg made some changes to keep up with the new design.

Hope you find this useful information if you are looking around on the various sites where OF's tend to pop up for sale now and again.

(Your mileage may vary, all items sell as is-where is, payment terms are cash or bankable check at the end of the auction, all guarantees are between seller and buyer, etc., etc., etc,. etc.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Free Stromberg OF information

Post by CudaMan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:13 am

Thanks Stan! :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:37 am

Very interesting stuff. So do you adapt the Overland variant OFs for use on a model T use or avoid them?

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:59 am

Great info, Stan. As you have mentioned many times, they made a boatload of them, as this bumpkin has had a wheelbarrow full go though here over the years. I can add, they offered 3 different styles of choke controls over the years, at least that’s what I’m aware of. The one we make now was the last, and most simple and sturdy version. I believe a choke control was supplied with the carb, and not an extra. I’ve seen a couple complete kits over the years and they came in a nice box jointed wood box. IMHO , one of these OF carbs is the easiest and best upgrades you can make to a T, and the ones you touch sure are pretty afterwards.
Personally, I love the RF and the challenge they are to restore. I believe those were the very last design of the T era. Not for everybody, but as I said , I love the challenge.

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:42 am

Mark, I just avoid them. I have so many OF bodies that need parts I spend time on those.
I need a bunch of parts laser cut again. The guy who did the last batch died, need to find somebody.

Tim, the RFs are great carbs, I just wish they hadn't used crappy Aluminum to make them. The brass welds to the Al and they can be impossible to get apart.
I try not to work on them but if I do I pretty much just mill the idle jet out and make a new one instead of wasting time trying to unscrew it if it doesn't come right out.
I have so much brass carb business wanting done I can't spend time on some carbs.
I quit doing anything newer than Holley G several years ago, have half a dozen 5 balls , about a dozen ofs waiting and several Master. 4 HP5A Zenith, etc. Trying to get caught up, older and slower all the time.
Also have 5 U and J's waiting, an ox3 for Norway, two OX2's for Australia and several H1s -- all more interesting and pay better than filling mounting holes and drilling and tapping an OF flange.

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:44 am

I've had several people that got burned buying an Overland OF that were not happy when I told them it would be an extra charge to set it up for a model t.
------- don't believe everything you read on eBay -----

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks Stan, I'll have to look at my OF now. The bolt holes were not quite right.

Dropacent
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:21 pm

If I was doing carbs, it would just be brass for me. The “miracle” metal, potmetal came soon afterwards, and that just takes the fun out of it entirely. I don’t think it’s too much drift to show what I do with RF Strombergs. I agree with you, Stan, they can be a real challenge. I ONLY buy them when they look good and are complete. Even those can be hard to get apart, and I don’t even know what this is called, but some sort of jet right at the top. Instead of chewing them up, I use a spring loaded spot weld cutter. Then a 1/4-28 brass or nickel plated nut is used to reinstall. I silver solder the nut on. I turn the outside down to make an enlarged cap, goes right down in hole left by the spot weld cutter.
I think they are superior to OF in performance, but a challenge to rebuild, fer sure! Nobody would pay for the time it takes to do it, though.
42D820B6-08AE-4854-842C-40A175D5D0BC.jpeg
91234CDE-3545-41DB-BC1B-081E1ECFC4C1.jpeg
809F9503-FCF7-44D7-A6E6-6AC82D5A474F.jpeg

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:47 pm

That would sure work. The threaded insert at the top of the idle jet is all that sticks in the aluminum. I just mill it out with a quarter inch mill bit, enlarge the hole with a stepped mill cutter to 5/16 tap drill size down through the threaded area, thread it, whip up a new threaded idle jet upper and solder the old tube into the new insert. Much faster than fooling around trying to remove that idle jet if it is stuck.

Probably a half hour deal to do it this way.

More than one way to skin a cat. I like seeing how others peel the hide.

You're right, they are great carbs, I convert them to a viton tipped needle and that stops the leaks.

I ran one for awhile. I liked it a lot.

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 pm

BTW, the threads are 1/4 x 32, good investment working on carbs.

I don't do anything that isn't brass except Marvel Schebler pieces of crap for my old tractors. Well, a few Zeniths too, for the Farmalls.

Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Thanks Stan, I thought the thread was just a bit off. 1/4-28 cleaned it up nice With no damage but next time I’ll do it with the right thread. Thanks for that info. I’ve alway got a kick out the special threads on some of these old things. My theory is it eliminated parts and/or tooling going home in workers pockets.

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Every time I can round up a little money I buy more taps and dies. I just bought the 17/32 x 20 tpi set for that goofy nut on Kingston 5 balls.
Just ordered it this morning.

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:48 pm

StanHowe wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:42 am
Mark, I just avoid them. I have so many OF bodies that need parts I spend time on those.
I need a bunch of parts laser cut again. The guy who did the last batch died, need to find somebody.

Tim, the RFs are great carbs, I just wish they hadn't used crappy Aluminum to make them. The brass welds to the Al and they can be impossible to get apart.
I try not to work on them but if I do I pretty much just mill the idle jet out and make a new one instead of wasting time trying to unscrew it if it doesn't come right out.
I have so much brass carb business wanting done I can't spend time on some carbks.
I quit doing anything newer than Holley G several years ago, have half a dozen 5 balls , about a dozen ofs waiting and several Master. 4 HP5A Zenith, etc. Trying to get caught up, older and slower all the time.
Also have 5 U and J's waiting, an ox3 for Norway, two OX2's for Australia and several H1s -- all more interesting and pay better than filling mounting holes and drilling and tapping an OF flange.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic