1927 Ford Pickup Truck

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Teamcsa
First Name: TEAMCSA
Last Name: TEAMCSA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Town Car & 1927 Truck
MTFCA Number: 49522
Board Member Since: 2017

1927 Ford Pickup Truck

Post by Teamcsa » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:32 am

We have a problem of starting the engine, when the engine is cold. With a warm engine, there is no starting problem. The ambient temperature on our Indian city is around 30 degrees Celsius (about 85 degrees Fahrenheit). Can anyone advised where the problem is.

Ananth

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Re: 1927 Ford Pickup Truck

Post by Russ T Fender » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:21 am

Is it a vaporizer carburetor? Try a 1/2 to 3/4 turn of the mixture adjustment to richen it. Turn it back after it starts. Crank it with the switch off and full choke a few revolutions then let the choke off and turn the switch on. That worked for me but eventually I switched to an NH carburetor for easier starts.

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:34 am

Ananth, Even with an NH I sometimes have to back out the control knob to give it a little more gas on startup. After it warms up a little it will start to surge that's when I know to turn it back the knob to the sweet spot. Also if you are running a heavier weight oil you might try leaving the hand brake lever forward after shutting down the engine, then right before starting reapply the brake this will squeeze the oil out of the clutch pack and create a little less drag when starting. Jim
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:36 am

I've had success cold starting by simply giving it about 2 priming revolutions. With the ignition switch off, pull the choke and turn it over twice. Then release the choke, turn on the ignition switch and see if it will start easier.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic