cutting wood bands

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dhosh
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Hoshield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 RPU (Raodster converted to Pickup)
MTFCA Number: 24305
Board Member Since: 2015

cutting wood bands

Post by dhosh » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:19 pm

Ok... FINALLY getting back to putting my '24-ish's transmission back together after 3 or more months, I think! One of the side projects I decided to do along the way is switch out my kevksr bands to wood. Ialthough I'm not blaming the cracked brake drun and shattered clutch disks on the Kevlar, I wanted to try 'woodies' on the new drum.

Although I can't seem to find it now, I seen
M to remember someone cutting their wood bands in the middle, to allow the metal band to flex a bit more, allow a bit more oil to the band, and possibly get a more even brake.

Can anyone attest to this being a good idea, without opening up a can of worms.

I've had gotten, switched to kevlar when I replaced the engine ... As the trans that came with it, already had them... Now it's time to give wood a shot.

Thanks in advance...

Dennis
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Topic author
dhosh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 RPU (Raodster converted to Pickup)

Re: cutting wood bands

Post by dhosh » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Interesting... I just opened the bag with the wood bands I it to go over the destructions, and low and behold... There's an add for Mack's Efficiency awoos Bands... And it shows it's bands as 4 wood pads with champhered edges.

Soooo.... As anyone tried this, as well?? Looks like you would be giving away some surface area, in exchange for a better, more even grip??
20200819_200908_copy_600x800.jpg
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:25 pm

Dennis
I like the idea. I’ve been running wood bands for about 15 years in my 27, but the brake is about done

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:53 pm

The late Herman Khonke used to "segment" his lining for that effect.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:36 pm

Herm did cut his bands, but I think he still used kevlar linings, and only had one gap at the bottom. I could be wrong.

Allan from down under.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:58 pm

Dennis

Those aftermarket wood linings were likely segmented as the wood pieces weren't made well like Guinn Wood linings. His linings are full round and easy to place on the band. Cutting his linings seems poor idea.

Experience for me with wood is that the lining is needed for the full contact. You can see these are worn, low band lining in center, and lots of wear at the bottom and sides on that band.

IMG_9863.JPG

a famous brand of wood linings, these are full circle like today's Guinn.

IMG_9001 (450x338).jpg
IMG_9001 (450x338).jpg (86.1 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
301556.jpg
301556.jpg (100.1 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:11 pm

Dan ....

Sounds like good advice to me! Yes... Mine are Guinns, as well.

We're all 3 of those bands mounted at the same time? How long were they in? I would have expected the brake the to be the most worn.

Thanks!
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:17 pm

I have to go to the shop and look at the destructions again... I assume the ends should be left a tad long, like Cotton's and kevlars... With a little champher at the ends?
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

DanTreace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring

Post by DanTreace » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:41 pm

Dennis

That wood brake lining wasn't worn as the Rocky Mtn. brakes do the yeoman's stopping work. The low lining wore a lot when the oil got down, and slipped the band. A bit of charred wood shards in the oil screen. Still ran those linings for additional 1500 miles or so. Total on these was approx. 8000 miles.

Yes, give the wood linings a tad of overhang so you don't have band metal or end of a band ear hitting on the drum surface. Some demountable ears overhang more than others, so fit the lining to the bands and ears.

IMG_9850.JPG
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:05 pm

Very good .. thanks!

Dennis
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:29 pm

Dan... Did you replace the tang rivets with brass, or did they come with brass, then? Mine appear to be stainless... Or bright aluminum.
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:35 pm

dhosh wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:29 pm
Dan... Did you replace the tang rivets with brass, or did they come with brass, then? Mine appear to be stainless... Or bright aluminum.
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:41 pm

Used regular band lining brass split rivets, sunk the head into the wood with a counterbore wood bit. Tangs spread on the backside of the metal band.

Do know that Jim sold lined ones at Chickasha, and these have split rivets. Guess they are brass, any way that is what I have used.

These were used slightly so went back in a '24 engine had rebuilt for a runabout I sold a while back.

IMG_3269.JPG
New Guinn linings on bands
301557 (600x402).jpg
Last edited by DanTreace on Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:48 pm

Very good. Thanks!
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Installing wood band liners with the engine out of the car: I have used the same set of Guinn’s wood bands for 10 years and installed them in 2010 when I had the engine out for a full overhaul. With the engine out, the hogshead off and the transmission out of the pan, it is not necessary to cut the wooden liners as the three bands can be slid over the drums from the back. One of the great advantages the wood liners offer is that they are very rigid and retain the roundness of the band, suspending and centering the band over the drum from the ears, preventing the band from dragging on the drum. I have heard of some people not even having to use the springs between the lugs, because the rigid liners provide the necessary outward pressure to hold the bands away from the drums, but I have never tried this. I use my springs just in case a band wears out or breaks.

Installing wood bands with the engine in the car: While I have never done it this way, I have read many posts on the old forum that it is almost impossible to straighten the bands enough to install them through the transmission access port without them cracking and splitting and, even if one is successful in getting them installed without cracking, the bands and liners are so weakened and misshapen, they lose the main advantage that the wood bands offer in keeping the bands round and preventing drag. This advantage is also lost when cutting the bands and destroying the rigidity that wood bands provide, but that being said, I would offer that the only way wood band liners can be installed through the hogshead access port without them breaking is to cut them as shown, otherwise, the best and, in my opinion, only way to properly install wooden band liners and, at the same time retaining all of the benefits they offer, without cutting them, is during an engine overhaul with the engine out. Jim Patrick

hah
First Name: john
Last Name: hardiman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe

Post by hah » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:19 pm

James including 26/27

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:43 pm

Very good. That may very well have been the part of the reasoning behind sectioning bands on some of the woods, as well to get them on through the hog's head cover

I do have the luxury, if we want to call it that, of having the engine out for the replacement of the brake band and freshening up of the transmission. There was nothing wrong with the Kevlar bands, but I thought I'd give the Woodies a shot. So good advice. I didn't think of the springiness of the wood bands being a major benefit 4 eliminating drag. Good information and help! From all!
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:02 pm

If you have that option, by all means, install them without cutting them. After countersinking and riveting the liners on, make them as round as possible before sliding them onto the drums from the rear. You won’t be disappointed with their performance and if you are careful, they may last until your next rebuild. Good luck. Jim Patrick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic