Purchase - date & advice

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
july76
First Name: Julio
Last Name: Fernandez

Purchase - date & advice

Post by july76 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:34 am

I'm new on this forum. I'm considering bying a Model T for a long time but in the end due to lack of time and that I already have a collection of
6 cars. A few days ago I saw the announcement of the sale of a unit in my country, Spain. Apparently the car has a Granada license plate
(the province where the "La Alhambra" monument is located), but unfortunately not much information has arrived since both the registration
plate and the documentation have been lost. In Spain there was a Ford factory in Cádiz that began to assemble the first cars as early as 1920,
at an average of thirty vehicles a day, including the Model T, as well as tractors that were sold especially in Ireland. In 1923 a financial conflict between Ford and the Free Deposit of Cádiz caused the closure of the facilities that was translated to the city of Barcelona.

The owner of the car sent to me some pictures of his car, including the engine and chassis number that should be help to establish the
exact date of building, as I suppose 1927. My aim is to purchase an unit as originally preserved as possible so I need advices about this
and the mechanical points that I should check. I can ask for more pictures

ABoer
First Name: Anthonie
Last Name: Boer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1923 roadster 1925 pickup
MTFCA Number: 19790

Re: Purchase - date & advice

Post by ABoer » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:03 am

Julio ;
That engine is built on : 23-nov -1926
Good luck with your Car !!!!

Toon .

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:27 am

Very interesting that the engine is a ‘27 model year but the absence of a headlamp bar places the T in early ‘26 model year. Interesting Cowl lights too !
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:39 am

The windshield post on the right side is from early 1926.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:28 am

The engine is likely a replacement. The November 1926 engine assembly date is in the 1927 model year. But the body has early 1926 features. Beginning in December 1925 (early in the 1926 model year) Ford began stamping the serial number on top of the frame rail under the floor board. It was usually on the right rail, but sometimes on the left. I don't know if the Spanish factory did this too. If the engine is a replacement it's an interesting detail, but I don't believe it affects the value of the car.

We should see the engine compartment from both sides.

The upholstery is totally wrong.

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 9.21.28 AM.png
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:52 pm

The car appears to have been extensively restored, although some years ago. As mentioned by others, it appears some details may have been changed at some time in the car's past. A fact about "branch" assembly plants, especially ones not inside the USA, is that they often do not adhere to the normal details. It is common for such cars to have originally had details that were out-of-date in the USA, or details that the USA built cars never had. So knowing what is or was correct becomes quite difficult.
The car looks very nice as it is, and should be a good candidate for any collection. However, knowing for certain what all is or is not correct may not be possible.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic