tt atake bed

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
adenautomotive
First Name: mark
Last Name: aden

tt atake bed

Post by adenautomotive » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:32 am

i just picked up a ford stake bed for my tt project looks like it would bolt to cab mt at frt how does the rear mount ?

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Re: tt atake bed

Post by HPetrino » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:09 am

Often the "wood foundation" of a TT stake side bed consists of two pieces of heavy lumber that are laid on the chassis in a non-parallel manner. The forward end of these two pieces rests on the top of the chassis rail just behind the cab. the mid-rear of these pieces rest on top of the rear chassis cross member. The end of them continues out past the rear cross member. Then cross pieces are installed, then the bed material on top of them.

I don't know about factory stake side beds, but I can't imagine they're too different. In looking at pictures of one it looks like the "foundation" pieces are parallel, so the front would need to mount on body brackets, but it also looks like the rear lays on the rear cross member in a manner similar to after market stake sides.

I hope this helps a little.

Topic author
adenautomotive

Post by adenautomotive » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:15 pm

i summised that it lays across rear cross member would like to see how it was held down at the rear when ford put them with there factory bed thanks

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:13 pm

2 big, long U bolts. Ford Truck lengths that run parallel w/ frame rests on rear crossmember between 2 sets of 2 boltholes. Nuts tighten on long U bolts under crossmember.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Marv K » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:58 pm

Check out the photos on this research my grandson did. Look closely at the underside of the bed. There is wood inside the bed-frame rails. The long 'shoes' fit between the bed rails and the tail crossmember, each held in place by two 3/8" U-bolts into the tail-member. We've had to make new U-bolts. There are rectangular plates that top the bed's frame which those U-bolts fit through. The wood between the bed rails is tightened in place with carriage bolts. If you're fortunate enough (assuming for 'original'), you'll have access to the square plates for the carriage bolts that serve as inside washers. 'Relief holes' for bed-support brackets are drilled into the wood for inside the bed's frame rails. We are fortunate that I had saved all the old wood for patterns when I began taking Dad's TT apart almost 50 years ago.... Though the link below says that it is a '25 TT, the floor pedals and dash pod say it is either a later 1926 or '27. Hope this helps.
Marv

http://classicvehicleslist.com/ford/814 ... -find.html
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

Marv K
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")

Post by Marv K » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:18 pm

Clarifying - Only one U-bolt per side to hold down the bed. Additionally.... The original 'steel stakes' with sideboards for the flat-bed are almost impossible to find. If that is your desire, we can provide pictures and dimensions if you were to have them made. I've also found a source for new bed strips, which top off the top boards. Mac's had a '25 pictured on one of their catalogs, below.
Attachments
rsz_stake_bed_tt-1.jpg

Marv K

Post by Marv K » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:49 pm

We also have the corner/and side rack 'irons' to hook the staked sideboards together. Pictures and dimensions if you wish. Attention to details is up to you.
Marv

Corvette Guy
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Jones

Post by Corvette Guy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:11 pm

I'm doing one now...

I ran two 8' 2x6 boards on edge the length of the frame, held down with U-bolts. On the front I fabricated a bracket out of bar stock that was U-bolted to the frame and on the rear there where already holes on the frame ears for the U-bolts. I'd used locknuts / locktight as you don't want them to loosen up (ask me how I know).

Then I lag bolted four 3x4 boards across the 2x6s. On top of the 3x4s I lagged in the decking. If I were to do it over, I'd drilled holes and use carriage bolts for the decking, but I'm not changing them.

I ran some boards along the sides, which I lagged the stake pockets to.
Attachments
42FAF930-03B7-4DBB-AAE5-8B285F48421D_1_105_c.jpeg
1E7EACD7-FC8A-4032-8825-B66FFB47C6BF_1_105_c.jpeg
8583A322-30B6-40FC-812B-FB43CD3B050B_1_105_c.jpeg

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:04 am

Looking good, one of our members is gathering parts and pieces to build a chuck wagon. I am hoping he will also share his progress. Thanks.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Topic author
adenautomotive

Post by adenautomotive » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks guys i think i ve got it figured out now

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic