Best Wax for Black Urethane

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
SurveyKing
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Snell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1924 Touring, 1925 Roadster Pickup, 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31662
MTFCI Number: 23677
Board Member Since: 2014

Best Wax for Black Urethane

Post by SurveyKing » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:56 pm

I know this will probably generate a lot of different suggestions, but I am wanting to know what would be good wax to put on a Gloss Black Single Stage Urethane Enamel finish on my car. Thanks for any recommendations.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Best Wax for Black Urethane

Post by John kuehn » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:22 pm

Your right about generating different ideas. Sort of like which oil to use!
For what it’s worth I used turtle wax paste wax. Worked good for me on my 24 Coupe with its single stage urethane paint.
And of course opinions will vary.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:31 pm

In my book, Meguire’s paste wax can’t be beat as a wax for every type of finish. They also have a line of cleaner’s, compounds and polishes that are all top of the line. Jim Patrick

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:53 pm

I just go to the auto parts store and get some car wash with wax in it. If I have mud or a lot of dirt on the car, I wash that off first. But since the car is in the garage all the time unless I have it out for a drive or a tour, I just put that stuff in a bucket of water and sponge it off. Then I dry with a towel. A Turkish towel same as I use for a bath towel. I have never used any running compound or other wax on the car. It's been painted for at least 15 years and still looks good.
Norm

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:04 am

How long ago was it painted. If newly painted the recommended wait time is 60-90 days. Otherwise, if you want a lasting shine you should clean the surface first before waxing. Dish washing soap will remove old wax etc. For my Black Daily Driver - I used Meguiars cleaner polish (non-abrasive chemical cleaner), its been discontinued but somewhat available. That alone left a great shine. As either an alternative or in addition too a clay polishing product would be used to remove any swirl marks or defects. If you remember the product "Blue Coral" and liked it - try ICE Liquid clay bar. The goal is to get a smooth surface without the use of an abrasive car polish. As far as "wax" goes - Carnauba has been the long time standard - the latest technology is Ceramic Wax, these are clear spray on waxes leaving no white residue in those little cracks and seams. Some easier to use than others and can be reapplied after a car wash
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:20 am

Like Frank posted, the best wax contains Carnauba wax.

For years have used Beats-Um-All. You can't find it at stores, sometimes at car shows, but you can find on-line dealers or the mfg. for direct order. Isn't cheap, but is pure Carnauba wax. Works on all finishes. Leaves no white residue.

Just used it on this NOS aftermarket tail lamp. The old enamel was dull and dirty, but have learned over the years don't scrub or use grit polishing compounds as you will streak and scratch the old finishes. Just a little wet on the rag, and pure wax to clean the surfaces, then lightly wipe off for a shine and preservation. ;)

IMG_2837.jpg
Image 8-28-20 at 11.07 AM.jpeg
Image 8-28-20 at 11.07 AM.jpeg (83.18 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic