Model T prices down?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BobP
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Peterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 tr, 1916 rdts, 1921 tr, 1923 rdst, 1925 cp. 1927 pu, 1927 tr.
MTFCA Number: 26652

Model T prices down?

Post by BobP » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 pm

A decent 1926 roadster pickup just sold for $21,175 on an online auction in Wi. Wood wheels, no options, older restoration. Whoda thunk it. We might have a goldmine.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Re: Model T prices down?

Post by FreighTer Jim » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:00 am

Maybe someone had to get outta town not so fast.

I am on my way to Deerfield to pick up now 😉

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Post by Alan Long » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:47 am

I also have a 26 Roadster Pick up and almost identical to that description and would value it around $20,000.00
(Australian $) I don’t believe it’s value never exceeded 25K
Alan in Western Australia

John_Aldrich
First Name: John
Last Name: Aldrich
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915, 1923. 1927

Post by John_Aldrich » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:22 pm

BobP wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 pm
A decent 1926 roadster pickup just sold for $21,175 on an online auction in Wi. Wood wheels, no options, older restoration. Whoda thunk it. We might have a goldmine.
Your headline caught me... Model T prices and part prices are definitely on the rise.
John Aldrich
Typical Model T Addict

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:13 pm

They are still selling for 10,000 or less here in wisconsin.

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:55 pm

john_aldrich wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:22 pm
BobP wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 pm
Your headline caught me... Model T prices and part prices are definitely on the rise.
I disagree.

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5303
1923 Touring

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:39 pm

In economics, in most cases, the law of supply and demand dictates commodity prices. In a nutshell, “when supply exceeds demand, prices fall. When demand exceeds supply, prices rise”. Normally, when the supply of a commodity, such as the Model T is finite, in that only so many were made and there will never be anymore made, it Is scarce and thus, theoretically, becomes more valuable, however, if the supply is low of a commodity that is a unique, historical collectible, out of the mainstream that requires a lot of money, attention, knowhow and maintenance, it does not necessarily cause the demand to rise. The Model T falls into this special niche, because it is an interest that must be acquired or inherited and if the buying public does not acquire or inherit this interest, demand remains low. Many of us acquired our interest in ModelT’s in the 1950’s and ‘60’s when Laurel and Hardy movie shorts were released by the movie studios to TV. Back then, before the advent of computers, video games and cable TV, we had many other interests and were much more interested in working on go carts, cars and hot rods and developed a knack for mechanics through hands on experience that the majority of today’s youth lack and show no interest in because it requires them to get their hands dirty, requires effort they are not willing to expend, time that takes them away from their video games and money they don’t have. With the emergence of video games and computers and the lack of interest in mechanics and today’s fast paced, go-fast mentality and preoccupation with speed (people get upset when a computer takes longer than a few seconds to give them what they want), there is little interest in expending the time and money it takes to buy, restore and maintain a car that can barely go 40 mph, has inadequate brakes, is dangerous to drive and is, for the most part, unreliable, by today’s standards, so it is little wonder that there is little demand for Model T’s and that prices have remained so consistently low for so many years. I think that, as the baby boom generation dies off, the passion we have for Model T’s will not be passed on and our Model T’s will flood the market to languish. The increase in supply will not necessarily generate an increase in demand until the fall in prices makes them too cheap to ignore and only then, will the demand for the Model T rise, but not the passion. Hopefully, this will not take so long as to cause the restored Model T’s to deteriorate mechanically and cosmetically, making them less desirable. I predict that this will also have a negative impact on Model T parts supply businesses such as Snyder’s and Lang’s and sadly, as they also go out of business along with the demise of the baby boom generation, it will be more and more difficult to find parts in the future. This is not the recipe for a good investment or a goldmine. Jim Patrick
Last edited by jiminbartow on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:58 pm

Mine went down $3.21 in value last week, but went up $7.19 for last month,
so I am still on the plus side.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:00 am

Last two cars I tried selling I had to part out to sell. Got more for them that way then I was asking whole.
I will do more that way if I have to. Dan

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:06 pm

Occasionally I see T's that sell for what I think is a crazy price. Who doesn't like to make money? But if prices reach the level of a 1969 GTO, I won't spend that kind of money on a toy I don't need. Model T prices are like the car and the people who drive them. Stable, reliable, and down to earth. I am happy for that and I hope it stays that way. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic