Using a single port Chevy head for poor man's ohv?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Matt_A_1926
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Atchinson

Using a single port Chevy head for poor man's ohv?

Post by Matt_A_1926 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:59 am

As the title says. I have found a 23-27 Chevy 171cui whole motor for sale locally. Actually it's almost too nice. Grimy but turns over, has trans with it too only thing that appears to be missing is carb and the pushrods on the side and even they may be around. Price for the whole thing is $250. I checked it out today and the head seems very nice and nothing appears stuck or toast. Being pre 28 it is only two intaking ports and one big exhausting port. I was told it came out of a truck. I'd probably gut the motor for its crank, rods, trans maybe and of course the head. I'm wondering if a single port Chevy head is worth the effort of doing up with an adapter plate to a T block though. I'd probably go 6:1 or 6.5:1 on compression, put on a Zenith HP5A carb I have and run a big bore pipe exhaust with no muffler to help with back pressure.
Has anyone bothered to try a single port Chevy head? I know the 28 is more desirable with the two port exhaust but this is close and cheap. I asked a couple guys in our club locally and they agree it won't be as nice as the two port but overall performance we're not sure of. So I'm looking for anyone here that has personally tried a single port or knows of someone who has.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Using a single port Chevy head for poor man's ohv?

Post by Kerry » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:08 pm

Can't help you on performance but first thing to check with those single port Chev heads is the top of the exhaust port for cracks, they can be bad and not worth trying to repair.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:38 pm

Single ports just in my opinion will not give much more performance than a high compression flat head with a good cam. A lot of work, not a lot of benefit. 1 to 1 ratio rockers, restricted exhaust port, etc. The 1928 with 1 to 1.333 ration rockers, Siamese ports in and out.., you will notice some serious torque and horsepower.

Just Saying,

Hank

David Mazza
First Name: David
Last Name: Mazza
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 t runabout

Post by David Mazza » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:29 pm

Hey Matt, Dave down here in north Adams. I know this is more money but it’s Craigslist and I’m sure can be talk down. I know the allure of an ohv t engine! https://worcester.craigslist.org/pts/d/ ... 37771.html If the link doesn’t work let me know on Instagram

Mac the Yankee
First Name: Bill
Last Name: McKay
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Actually, I own a '22 and '27 Chevrolet

Post by Mac the Yankee » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:34 pm

Not worth using the single port- they are prone to cracking! I have a spare '28 head if you're interested

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:29 pm

The initial outlay may be cheap, but the rest of the project will be just as expensive, with little benefit. Look at it this way. It will cost heaps of dollars to restore a Cord Convertible. If you spend a heap an 6 cylinder car, it would be a nice car. Spend the same heap on a V8 model and your car will be worth a lot more. Spend that same heap on a supercharged V8 and you will be even better off.

Allan from down under.

Atomic Amish
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Kuczynski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915ish speedster in parts, building a T V8 roadster pickup for support vehicle
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Atomic Amish » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:20 am

I'd say go for it.

Not everything in life has to be about dollars consumed. Sometimes, what you learn could end up priceless in the long run.
My other car is an Amish Drag Buggy.
Barnstormers VSC
Si vestri 'non prius novissimo
Celeritate Est Vita
Antique Vehicle Mechanic- Greenfield Village

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:07 pm

Find a two port head. They are out there.

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCI Number: 153

Post by Walter Higgins » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:27 pm

There is a saying about those single port heads -- there are thems that are cracked, and thems that will be.
Attachments
WP_20170506_08_28_48_Pro.jpg

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:47 pm

Always wondered what was wrong with Chevrolet Metalurallagy... cracked heads, broken axles... you would think a company with such a huge racing history wouldn't have those kinds of problems... unless they were going SO cheap to go against Ford they were cutting corners right and left.

Everyone I know with an early bowtie sedan or touring (and I've known a few) has a spare rear axle on the floor of the back seat. That's more than just a chance breakage - it seems to be pretty universal.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:00 pm

Mmmm Susanne, I'll post a little story, I had 3x 4cly Chevs and 2x 6 clys pre going toT's. never broke anything on them and then I got my first T and was told, carry a spare axle, they break, Now I have 5 T's and never broke an axle, but a drum and crank, yes. :(

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:18 pm

I made my own adapter plate (with a drill press and die grinder), bought the water outlet connection from Gene, had valve guides installed,a couple of seats, new valves and had both side of the plate and head surfaced. Most of my expense was my time figuring things out. I still came in WAY under what the low end over head setup would have been and on top of that learned a lot along the way! :D The only reason it is off the car is because I was having valve sticking issues (found out the pads on the rocker arms were the issue). Before I took it off I was running with coils, made a bracket like the 26/27 boxes. I think there have been a lot of the single port exhaust heads put on, (didn't RAJO or Frontenac have them too?) I too would suggest the two exhaust port head. Oh to add to this, I was not going for power (ok a little more does not hurt :lol: ) but more as I needed to do the whole project and get it done because it was just plain cool and fun.
Attachments
DSCF7150.JPG
DSCF7146.JPG
DSCF7145.JPG
DSCF7144.JPG
DSCF6816.JPG
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Atomic Amish
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Kuczynski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915ish speedster in parts, building a T V8 roadster pickup for support vehicle
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Atomic Amish » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:22 am

Mark's response is exactly what I meant when I made mine. Thanks for the wonderful explanation of why you did it.

Question though- the adapter plate- does the thickness affect the compression ratio? I've always wondered how that worked raising the head up that amount.

TIA,

jk
My other car is an Amish Drag Buggy.
Barnstormers VSC
Si vestri 'non prius novissimo
Celeritate Est Vita
Antique Vehicle Mechanic- Greenfield Village

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:03 pm

Listen to Hank Lee. If anyone in the club or on the Forum knows these heads, its Hank.

Speedsterguy2
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Knapp
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Speedster (project)

Post by Speedsterguy2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:56 pm

Jason, the answer is yes. The Chevrolet head has NO combustion chamber in it. It is just flat. Consequently the entire combustion chamber is within the thickness of the adapter plate. Most I have seen are about 1", but it would be worth doing some calculations on volume to determine compression ratios before you commit to a certain thickness for the adapter plate.

Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:06 pm

As long as you allow room for the pistons to pop up and space for the valves to open, leave a lot that can be gained in compression depending on how it is designed.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Matt_A_1926
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Atchinson

Post by Matt_A_1926 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:07 pm

Thanks for all of the responses guys. Mark Chaffin ended up.putting a 2 port for sale shortly after this and I bought it! Now I need an adapter plate, is Gene still making them?

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:45 am

Gene French post here and in the classifieds. He makes the babbitt boring outfits. If he does not see this send him a PM. He was working with someone else that was making them.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic