Rookie mistake: driven gear upside down...

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dhosh
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Hoshield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 RPU (Raodster converted to Pickup)
MTFCA Number: 24305
Board Member Since: 2015

Rookie mistake: driven gear upside down...

Post by dhosh » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Man.. I was so excited seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.... My new brake shaft didn't have the 'gouges' to line up with., But no biggie... The keys would certainly work. I knew the driven gear had the groves, and they should be up... But did I put it on that way? NO! And it was a bigger to get on. Once I looked at it from the side... I knew it didn't look right... But everything lined up, right? Ummm not so much.

I knew it was wrong when I went to post in the 'what have you done to your T in September's thread. I resized the photo and dis a double take. Had to go to the car to get the TWO manuals I had to prove to myself it was in upside down.

Now, guess I had better take it to someone with a big puller!! :-(

AAAARRRHHH......
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Topic author
dhosh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 RPU (Raodster converted to Pickup)

Re: Rookie mistake: driven gear upside down...

Post by dhosh » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:39 pm

Well, it took a little bit of 'persuading'...? But it's back on right, now. Geesh....bno harm, no foul, I guess!
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Mustang1964s
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Bourgeois
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1926
MTFCA Number: 29784
MTFCI Number: 22970
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Mustang1964s » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:56 pm

Just consider that to be the first of many.
The number of times I had to redo a fix/repair would be to numerous to count.
Everyone need at least two T's. One to learn on, the second to do things right.

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:51 pm

Lol... True!

There is no try .... Just do! (Ummmm...
And do over, if nessessary! ) :D
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:16 am

It is such an easy thing to do. I have heard of that many times from those willing to admit it.
Thanks for the report.
Maybe we should start a thread of things gone wrong. Sometimes these discussions make things look easy.
Rich
When did I do that?

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:53 am

I've always thought the Ford Service Book is the best example around for getting things right. I built a 1925 from parts a few years back, and used that book to make sure I had everything the way Ford did it.

Bill Robinson
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Robinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Depot Hack, '25 Touring Car, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Tudor, & another '27 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 22487
MTFCI Number: 17887
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Bill Robinson » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:42 am

VOWELART has a good drawing that is available on the MTFCA Resources section of their website. Darn good info! Thanks Martin ;)
app.php/gallery/image/120

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:49 pm

I'll say it and admit it...welcome to the club.

There was a time when I was real good with my hands, thought things through in what seemed to be perfect order, understood the syntax of the Ford service manuals and usually (99%) only had to do things ONCE, never put a head gasket on backwards, never put something on upside down. OK, I'm human, I removed a starter early on with the Bendix still attached! (Before I had books).

As to the present I didn't get lazy, I got old! Now I get use to doing things twice!

Some of it is age, but not that much me thinks :)

For the age related stuff...I do believe I have finally just this week discovered the cause and the answer...we think too much, and we are old enough to accept that 'adapt on the fly' is supposed to be a good thing :D :D

Case in point, I am pretty good at woodwork and restoration in that area. I had a space that just needed a small table of a certain size...a special size, I'm compulsive enough that the surface tops of everything side by side should line up level. I even did a quick sketch with dimensions and double checked it twice!

Start the wood work, taper the legs to a proportion of other work out on the porch, get the height and depth so that they blend with everything else visually. Then I cut all the rails to length, did a mock up test andall was good...then at the last minute I had a Eureka thought! Since all else was a bit proportion, why were the rails still 1x4 like the other pieces on the porch? I could really get away ripping them in half and the proportion effect would work real good! Zing on the table saw in about 2 minutes.

Assemble it all, all fits well and looks well, run it out and place it in line...what the? The top pf everything is right, this piece is about 1-3/4 low to everything else! What I admit is, I now blew close to 4 hours trying to figure out why...and the answer should have been obvious. I wasn't suppose to rip the table top rails in half! D-uh!

I'm trying to decide whether I want to live with it as there is no room for adjustment. Now, do I cut 4 more pieces of 1x4 and try the top again? Wait a minute...I still have the rip cuts and I'm almost as frugal as Jelfie...the table was all scrap wood to begin with...should I glue and screw the rail pieces back together and then only be the width of the saw kerf low? Would that 1/8 inch actually bother me?

I sort of jest...overthink up front, then you find yourself overthinking everything and why nothing gets done the way it use to be. The younger me would have accepted destiny, and if my OC bothered me about level, I would have cut the legs of one of the other pieces at halfway the distance and called them all a matched set of different heights :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just get use to doing things twice...and don't cut anything until you COMPLETELY dry fit. Return now to the world of T...anecdote story went longer than I 'thought'

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Oh, I had all the manuals...red them several times.... Looked at all the purdy pictures... And drawings.... Watched a couple videos .. and ONE thing stuck in my mind....(and I might have even drempt THAT up...). 'Put the gear side down"... Well... I did... With no regard for the context of the statement, and where I the assymbly.

Oh, well... I somewhat remember having it the right way up... Comparing to the drawings, and then for some silly reason, flipped it over when I set it on the brake shaft

Oh well.. water under the bridge. It's right now!

George... I hear ya! Cut it twice, and it's STILL too short!

:-)

What can ya do? Just have fun with it. That's what job is are for!

Thanks all!
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Virtus
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Robertson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Ford model tt 1921 right hand drive

Post by Virtus » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:51 am

George,
You've hit the nail on the head! The older we get the more we over think everything. Simple jobs take longer as we imagine too many pitfalls. Oh for the impulse repairs when failure was not an option. Take care and throw caution to the wind sometimes!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic