re-holstering 1926 touring

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

re-holstering 1926 touring

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:04 am

Is it possible to get the pattern for the cloth for the canopy and the seats for a 26 touring? I am in the process of restoring a 26 touring and I have access to someone who can make what I need if they have a pattern.
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Dan_Jensen
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Jensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31955
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: re-holstering 1926 touring

Post by Dan_Jensen » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:44 am

The top kits from the vendors are a good value for what is included in the kit. There is more to the top than just the roof covering, there is a lot of small pieces, straps, trim and fasteners. Most of the time the top pads are not included with the kit, and you do need them. The only thing that I have bought from Mac's is the top when they were having a good sale.
If your upholster has experience in doing a top on a car they should be able to make a pattern. The roof deck is made from 3 pieces, 2 triangular pieces stitched to a full width center piece of vinyl. The rear curtain is again 3 piece with the center being a trapezoid, with the top of the seams aligning with the seams on the deck. The bottom of the seams align with the body beads.

Here is a good video of installing a top kit on a 23-25 which is similar to your 26. It shows all of the small detail pieces that make for a good top install.

https://youtu.be/24PVyCfqQhU

Good luck with your project.
1923 Touring low radiator

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:34 am

Jonah, there is a lot involved in doing a good top and upholstery, one of the variables is experience. Someone who does not have patterns does not have any experience with model T upholstery, I would stay away from them. Find someone who has done lots of model T's and has pictures and or satisfied customers that you can visit and see their work. There are some great upholstery kit suppliers out there that have done the research, have patterns from originals, and use the right methods and materials. Upholstery kit installation is fun and rewarding. I did my first model T upholstery kit installation at age 16, its one of my favorite restoration things to do.

By the way there are some subtle differences between the 1926 touring and the1927 touring upholstery.

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:38 am

Can you get second hand kits?
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Dan_Jensen
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Jensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31955
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Dan_Jensen » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:56 am

I sent my old top to Don Allen for his car that is being preserved with patina. Maybe someone that is replacing a top on a 26-27 would send you their old one to get you by for a while. Keep posting about your progress on the car, and someone may send you what you need to keep going. Model T people are very kind when it comes to helping young people restore a car. If there is a local club you should definitely join that as there would be a lot of help there.
1923 Touring low radiator

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic