Can we Have a Dedicated "Period Photo" Section of Forum?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Can we Have a Dedicated "Period Photo" Section of Forum?

Post by A Whiteman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:19 am

As we get regular postings of old / period photos, and these are GREAT, can we have a separate forum section dedicated just to these so that they do not get 'lost' over time in the regular posting threads?
It may make a very good resource library :)

Many thanks
Adrian Whiteman

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Can we Have a Dedicated "Period Photo" Section of Forum?

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:48 am

I have made that suggestion to Chris also.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:26 am

I respectfully disagree. I am a member of multiple forums with this format and they all have so many different categories, it becomes a real pain to navigate them all. I'm just afraid of beginning to make separate forums this early in the game, as I can see it easily becoming 4, then 8 then 16 then......A forum for just this. A forum for just that. And then there are the ones who get their feathers in a bunch when someone puts something on the wrong forum and......dang it's a pain in the rear.

But that's just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:43 am

I agree with Hal on this one. My first online experience (pre-internet) was on Compuserve forums. Each forum was divided into 18 (later 24) sections. The idea was that you posted in the appropriate section for the subject you were discussing. Unfortunately, there was also a phenomenon called "thread drift." To use this MTFCA forum as a hypothetical example, let's say we have a separate section for vintage photos. Someone posts a photo of an interesting old carburetor, which prompts someone else to note that he had a carb like that once but it had a particular problem that he couldn't solve. Someone else posts a solution to the problem and before long there is a long, detailed discussion in the photo section about carburetor repair techniques. After a couple of months, the section titles become meaningless.

I have noticed that users on this new forum seem to have abandoned the "OT" indicator when a subject is off-topic for Model Ts. Using "OT" is helpful for those forum members who are seriously averse to seeing anything other than Model T topics brought up on the forum.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:55 am

There's no need for a new separate category. Jay started an Old Photo thread yesterday. Maybe Chris could make it stick at the top.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 am

Besides the problems mentioned above about having numerous separate categories, it ends up that some of the other categories are seldom visited. Some will go for days before anyone posts on them. An example of this is the AACA forum.

I’m for keeping it simple and uncluttered with unnecessary categories.

fliverfan
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Chuplis

Post by fliverfan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Just my 2¢ before inflation - While it's inevitable an occasional post will be made in the wrong place, sub forums can be very helpful for "housekeeping" on both ends. Just for examples, One for Forum Use questions and "testing", One for Trucks/Commercial, one for Speedsters/Modified and another just for T-buckets/Hot Rods. With so many overlapping issues, separating Brass, Blacks and Improved cars - might work out - might not but many forums do separate Engine, Drive Train, Electrical and Body Work issues. Guess it all depends on how many volunteers with experience in those areas you can get to help moderate.

Garnet
First Name: Garnet
Last Name: M
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 racer, 1925 roadster pickup

Post by Garnet » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:08 pm

It doesn't have to be a separate section. It can be a sticky - placed at the top of the Forum where it always stays.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:41 pm

I have to admit,i am already seeing a need for some further division.Perhaps a Tech section, a photo section and on.The threads do not change color when read and at the moment I am going thru about 150 post to see which to read and pass over.
Not a complaint ,just a observation.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Corey Walker
First Name: Corey
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 runabout, 1921 homemade truck, 1921 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 51502

Post by Corey Walker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 pm

I’d like to see a section, maybe not necessarily a forum style, but a place with factory photos divided by year. Whenever somebody has a factory photo they could upload it with a caption. I like period photos but I like the factory photos to see what is on a particular model when new. I know people buy new cars and immediately start customizing them and I’m sure it was the same back then but factory photos have to be correct. I’ve searched and searched before trying to find pictures I’ve seen before but couldn’t remember where trying to figure out how or where something was attached originally or if a nut was brass plated or painted etc.
Corey Walker, Brownsboro, Texas

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:12 pm

I really like the idea of a sticky at the top for photos.

If you just use the back button it will not change colors and and say if you are on page 2 it will go back to page 2. If you use the 2019 forum tab it will change from red to black but if you are on page 2 it goes back to page one.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Hal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:27 am

Let's say you do have multiple categories. Brass, 17 to 22, 23 to 27, Engine, Chassis, Body, Speedster, Truck. Say I have a question about the carb on a '22 TT. Does it go in the engine section? After all, it IS an engine question. Does it go in the 17 to 22 section? After all, it IS a '22. Does it go in the Truck section? After all, it IS a truck. Say later some visitor to the sight is searching for info on a carb and this previous thread had a lot of good info on it, but it was in the Truck section and he has a car. Is he gonna know to search the Truck section for carb info on a car? After all, they DO have the same carb, but he may be new to T's and may have no idea the carbs are the same. Sorry guys, I can see problems with this idea and this is exactly what I was afraid of when going to the new software. AND it didn't take long, did it?

fliverfan

Post by fliverfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:22 am

Hal wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:27 am
Let's say you do have multiple categories. Brass, 17 to 22, 23 to 27, Engine, Chassis, Body, Speedster, Truck. Say I have a question about the carb on a '22 TT. Does it go in the engine section?
Basically the answer would be yes - if it's a technical question. If more along the lines of what is correct for a 22 is when 17-22 or the truck sections come into play. Also the search feature here is more sophisticated than the old one. You can choose which forums to search or search all of them at the same time. If you choose the latter it will be no different than what you're accustomed to using no matter the number of divisions.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:36 am

Please, no more categories, those posting pics are diligent in adding descriptive titles, so if looking for, or looking to avoid pic posts, that's easy.

Thanks Chris for turning the old sow's ear forum into this new silk purse. jb

Hal

Post by Hal » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 am

Flivverfan,

And there you go.....We have not even implemented this and already we have inadvertently put a hypothetical post into the wrong category. See what I mean?

JWalters
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Walters
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by JWalters » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:31 am

AdminJeff wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:17 pm
We're looking at a minor reorg of the topics, perhaps a dedicated Support Forum where folks (even guests can post if you cant log in) can ask for help and it keeps the clutter off the main Forum. Possibly even a dedicated OT (Off Topic) Forum.
Jeff
I think more organization to the forum is a great idea! A dedicated (Support Forum) an OT (Off Topic) Forum and even an (Old Photo) Forum would be great! I think having the technical questions and general Model T discussion separated from other topics will help the forum grow. A small percent of the current 1,500+ registered users participate on the forum. With a little organization I think more would join in.
AdminJeff wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 am
I totally agree and fortunately, I have firsthand experience that can attest to these assumptions. This isn't my first rodeo as most can probably tell. I ran another car club forum many years with well over 1000 users and as soon as we did a little organizing of the forums (we were using Yahoo groups before I put in phpBB), users came out of the woodwork and started participating. In droves. There will always be those who don't want change, however, since one of the stated goals of this club as well as all the local regions is more participation, then we have to try a few new things. Not go crazy, just test some new ideas. It's what I do as a successful CEO, and when things work, we pour gas on those ideas. When they don't, we kill them. Quickly.

I'm willing to try anything within reason that will generate more interest to attract more users to participate by interacting more and asking more questions here. Hopefully my in-depth tutorials and FAQ's will help those who might be a little unsure of how to do something.

Jeff
Thank you Jeff for all you have done for the forum. Looking forward to seeing the forum grow!

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:43 am

Mack Cole

If you "log in", the threads will change color after you've read them. They will go from red to blue. If you do not log in they start blue and remain blue.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:48 am

I’ve already stared this process. You now have a dedicated place to ask questions. It’s called Support of all things. The forum is now free of that clutter and chatter about how to do something. Chris and I monitor that forum and answer questions. Others can do the same.

old photos would be much better served up in a photo gallery. Hmmm.... I like looking at them but wading through dozens of pages is cumbersome at best.

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:29 pm

AdminJeff wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:48 am

old photos would be much better served up in a photo gallery. Hmmm.... I like looking at them but wading through dozens of pages is cumbersome at best.

Jeff
I agree, just leave it be for now, "old photo" threads are just fine. The long, multiple pages photo threads take forever to load on my iPhone. :(

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:00 pm

...but factory photos have to be correct.
Yes, if they show cars being assembled. But I've seen some that showed pre-production cars with features that didn't make it into actual use. That's just an observation, not an argument for or against a factory photo section.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

signsup
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Brough
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 War Wagon 1927 Depot Hack 1927 TT
MTFCA Number: 31990
MTFCI Number: 31990
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by signsup » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:13 pm

Not that we are voting, but if we were, I'd cast mine for a few separate sections. The technical from the classifieds to the OT stuff, wither it is photos or conversations, would be a nice start.

There is a fine line between too many separate boards and having to sort through dozens of OT posts to read technical topics of interest. Perhaps a gut check is that if a thread needs to start with the letters "OT" or the words "Old Photo", then it could use a separate board.

JMO
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

A bunch of old cars
Sometimes they run.
Sometimes, they don't.

fliverfan

Post by fliverfan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:19 pm

Don't know what the record is for longest continuing thread on a message board is - but this one might be in the running - 6086 pages from 2009-today.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... by.428585/

Marc Roberts
First Name: Marc
Last Name: Roberts
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout, 1916 Touring

Post by Marc Roberts » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:57 pm

I have probably already lost the argument on this, but I like to browse lots of topics across the Model T spectrum, and more categories just means more places to have to look each day to see what's new.

Jeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006

Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:24 pm

Marc Roberts wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:57 pm
I have probably already lost the argument on this, but I like to browse lots of topics across the Model T spectrum, and more categories just means more places to have to look each day to see what's new.
My wife calls it losing time - “haven’t you read everything by now? Come to bed...”
Don’t worry.... we’re not going to go crazy. Chris and I both subscribe to the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid. My life in a nutshell.

Jeff
1921 Touring
"The trick to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources..." Albert Einstein

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic