Swap Meet Tips

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Darin Hull
First Name: Darin
Last Name: Hull
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Model T
MTFCA Number: 29699
MTFCI Number: 25147
Board Member Since: 2010

Swap Meet Tips

Post by Darin Hull » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:10 am

I plan on heading to Luray in a few weeks for the swap meet. This will be my first one. Folks ever bring random parts to barter/trade with?

There’s some things I’m interested in purchasing in the near future like Rocky Mountain brakes, new carb, etc. I’m guessing the RMB may be best purchased right from the source rather than a swap meet... but a carb may be there. Maybe something I didn’t even know I was interested in will be there.

Basically curious if you experts have any tips and suggestions for getting the most out of the swap meet experience.

Thank you for your time,
Darin

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Swap Meet Tips

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 am

At meets smaller than Hershey, I circulate more than once. Often on the second or third round I notice something I missed before. It's good to have a backpack to carry your plunder and at least half a dozen Walmart bags or the like for small items. Even better is a cart or wagon.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:27 am

If you are looking for some particular item, it pays to advertise. Hang a sign around your neck and others may be able to direct you to that which you are seeking. I did just that at Chickasha swap when looking for Bennett brakes. I had them pointed out to me by a vendor's wife in the parking lot prior to the gates opening for set-up. Definitely have something in which to carry stuff.
Allan from down under.

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:01 pm

At swap meets I carry a newspaper bag like I had back in the '50's. They are strong and designed to carry quite a bit of weight. The best one I like has a padded shoulder area and it has a flap to cover the contents up if it rains. Not easy to find, but they are out there.
Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

TeveS-Nor Cal
Last Name: Straw
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 and lots of parts
MTFCA Number: 12542

Post by TeveS-Nor Cal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:54 pm

I always carry water for drinking and hand washing!

StevenS
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Sebaugh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring, 1924 TT Truck
MTFCA Number: 49646

Post by StevenS » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 pm

Always have something to carry stuff. You will buy more than you expected and it will be weight more than you expected. I have a 3 foot long stiff canvas bag that was used to carry firewood.

CASH IS KING !!!!!!!!!!!
1924 Model T Touring
1924 Model TT Truck
1930 Model A Pheaton
"It is great to be crazy ... It gives you a lot more options in life"

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:18 pm

If your looking for a paticular item and you run across it don’t expect it to be there if you plan on coming back for it a while later after you make a round or two and make an offer for it!
It usually won’t be there and you won’t find another like it!
Been there and done that to many times!

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:21 pm

IMG_1758 copy.JPG
This is one of the best things I ever bought at Hershey. I added the extra handle to keep it off my heels.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:40 pm

If you have something to sell, it is best to either take it and get a space, or leave it with someone you know to sell for you. Then when you go out to buy, use cash. It is less likely to find some who wants what you have to sell and also has something you want to buy. If you get a friend to sell it for you, you could also offer him a portion of the price to help him pay for his space.
Norm

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Swap meet is kinda a misnomer except any swapping being done is cash for parts. :lol:
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Darin Hull
First Name: Darin
Last Name: Hull
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Model T
MTFCA Number: 29699
MTFCI Number: 25147
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Darin Hull » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 am

Mark,

There ya go... I was thinking I could possibly bring a part or two. Sticking with cash.

Darin

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:18 pm

I almost always get a space at every swap meet I go to.

This not only allows me to sell some of my own stuff, but it also gives me a "home base" of sorts in the midst of the swap meet that I can return to and sit for a while and get some fluids in me. Walking an entire swap meet in one bite takes the fun out of it for me. I like to do it in smaller bites. It never ceases to amaze me how fast one can get dehydrated at a swap meet.

Spaces at most meets are in the $40 range, which I consider to be a small price to pay to create the home base where I can place a cooler with drinks, sandwich fixins', etc.

I always bring extra chairs and a ton of extra iced-down bottled water and I usually place a little sign somewhere that invites people to sit down and drink a free water. Lots of guys at swap meets ain't spring chickens and take me up on a place to rest for a second. This creates good conversation and new friends.

Guys perusing rusty, antique auto-related crap are "my people" and fellowshipping with them at a swap meet is an essential part of the fun for me.

One other little positive aspect of getting a space is that I'm doing my part, in a small way, to support the swap meet organizer. A lot of the meets, like Chickasha, used to sell out back in the day so this wasn't really a consideration. But this isn't as common anymore and I like to do my part to keep them in business.
1924 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic