Old Photo - T Military Photo

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Lyndon
First Name: Lyndon
Last Name: Moore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 8
MTFCA Number: 27876
Board Member Since: 2018

Old Photo - T Military Photo

Post by Lyndon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:38 am

Looks some type of cover over the back seat area. Behind the middle guy looks like some kind of gas pump. I am not very familiar with military stuff. Can any one pin point the year of the car? 1917, 1918?
Attachments
IMG_0401.JPG

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Re: Old Photo - T Military Photo

Post by Russ T Fender » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:48 am

Rear side curtains are on.

tinman080
First Name: gary
Last Name: hammond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 roadster
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by tinman080 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:59 pm

A little clearer. Looks like side curtains.
IMG_0401 (3) (Small).JPG
IMG_0401 (3) (Small).JPG (18.22 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
''Just Passin' Thru.....Slowly! :D

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:52 pm

Wonderful photo! It is hard to tell for certain without computer capabilities I do not have, but it looks to me like that car has 30X3.5 front tires and wheels. So, I wondered, if it could be a Canadian T? Zooming in closely (thank you Chris and Jeff, et al for a good new format!), I can clearly see that there are no hinges on the front driver's door. So it does appear to be a USA built T. I do seem to recall reading that USA built Ts made for export to the European war were also equipped with the 30X3.5 inch front wheels and tires. Maybe one of our WWI experts can clarify that detail?
A few other details on the car. It clearly has the offset windshield hinges, making it a later '17 or even later car. The front wheel appears to be a square felloe non-demountable, whereas the rear wheel is a round felloe non-demountable. That combination would be unusual leaving the factory. Maybe one of the wheels was changed later? Or maybe some of the specially equipped cars for European war use were outfitted that way?
The horn button on the steering column appears to be the combination horn and light switch making the car more likely an '18 or '19.
The car and the men all look a little war weary. Likely being an '18, and probably a year old, it may be near the end of that war.

I would like to read some opinions about the top sockets. Are they the earlier oval style? Or the later square style? Both? Anyone want to stick their neck out?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic