What Would You Like to See the Vendors Offer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George Hand
First Name: George
Last Name: Hand
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 open express, 1920 touring, 1926 tudor-lisenced and insured, 1921tt project 1922 fendered chassis, 192x tt dootle bug 192xengine w/winch projects
MTFCA Number: 28114
MTFCI Number: 21834

What Would You Like to See the Vendors Offer

Post by George Hand » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am

I would like to see replacement fuel bowls for Holley G & earlier carbs. I know some of the crafty people have done some very nice repairs to some of the cracked ones, but most of us do not have the talent, patience or equipment to make an effective repair. Also many are cracked beyond a reasonable repair.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: What Would You Like to See the Vendors Offer

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 am

1 Correct original style float valves, and not just for NH.
2 Correct bulbs for mag headlights.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am

I offer NH float valves with the correct size orifice and it has a Viton tip, to boot.

As for anything else it isn't so much "what will vendors offer?" as it is, "what will customers pay?" After investing money for tooling up for float bowls or light bulbs, making a minimum run, investing in stocking tens of thousands of dollars of inventory, will anyone pay $100 for a new carb bowl? Supply and Demand. No supply without demand (and the money to back it up).

I am glad to see this thread, as it shows desire and optimism regarding products. All too often, I hear "what a crappy part" regarding this part or that. If one were to take a look, they'll find that some of the best parts and suppliers are actually drying up lately, or trying to get out of the business. We may soon look back on this era as a "golden age" of new parts as suppliers become scarcer and fans of these cars become less willing to own/drive them in the future, thus further lowering demand.

FWIW
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:48 am

I think that most of us are looking for first class parts made from the best materials available to exactly the original patterns for about half what it costs to produce them, shipping free of course.... :lol:
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:49 am

Working float valves is good. Bear in mind that the early carbs did not have replaceable seats. None of the Holley carbs before the g and none of the early Kingston s or scheblers. I get calls all the time from people looking for some magic answer to their 5 ball or their two screw holley leaking.
Other than Scott's, I have not seen needle seat sets that are correct. His are for nh only. I make my own or modify for u and j, etc but I don't have time to make any for anything or anyone else.
Scott is right. It's a tough market.
I could use a couple two screw bowls, they are not available. As far as Holley g, brass plating a steel bowl works as brass ones are tough to find. Market?? Not worth making would be my guess.
I use steel g bowls on u and j, I either powder coat them or heat blue them.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Scott_conger wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am
We may soon look back on this era as a "golden age" of new parts as suppliers become scarcer and fans of these cars become less willing to own/drive them in the future, thus further lowering demand.
I've thought that same thing about the old car supply industry for a while. I strongly suspect we're in the heyday of readily available repair parts for, not just Model T's, but many other makes/models.

I'm pretty heavily involved in the 54 Ford world and this very thing has started to happen. In the last two years, we've seen parts that were commonly available for 20 years, disappear. When I've called to check on them, the big suppliers (like Dennis Carpenter) have told me that the little mom-and-pop shop that was making them either had the owner die or simply decided it wasn't worth making for the limited demand.

The tri-five Chevies, Mustangs, Corvettes and Chevy pickups will probably have a heyday that lasts longer, but I suspect that we have another 5-10 years of a parts golden age left before it starts to ebb away.

That's part of why I stopped procrastinating on buying a Model T to refurbish and went ahead and bought one a couple years ago. It's also why I'll be buying a Ruckstell later this year as well as some extra wear and tear parts to place on the shelf.

I know this isn't a happy thought, but I suspect it's true. My generation (I'll be 50 in a couple weeks) is the last who grew up in high school thinking only of cars and girls. Things have changed....buy your parts now.
1924 Touring

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:51 pm

I'm afraid Scott and Don are right, and dying or fading markets aren't unique to car parts. I remember a time when I could buy new 78 rpm sound effects records or stereoscope cards. Bought any film for your 116 Kodak lately? Telephone dry cells are still available, but the price has skyrocketed as the market has shriveled. We're lucky that millions of Model T's were made, and more millions of parts for them, but if you've been in this game enough years you know even that supply is drying up.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:46 pm

At first I was going to say "body parts".
But my wife and I are having too much fun making our own from photos and repairing the junk we have.
What is more valuable are the dimensions of parts so that the man on his own can make do on a budget.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

Bill Robinson
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Robinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Depot Hack, '25 Touring Car, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Tudor, & another '27 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 22487
MTFCI Number: 17887

Post by Bill Robinson » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:00 pm

I would like someone to somehow adapt a modern lip type seal to a babbitted 4th main. With .004 - .006" clearance between the ball cap and the tail shaft, lots of oil makes its way to the u-joint area, thus diluting the grease and dripping globs onto the road. :mrgreen:

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Doug Keppler » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 pm

A 6V voltage regulator
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:52 am

Under sized upper driveshaft bushing for worn driveshafts. Good later style ampere meter. More Kingston parts.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:17 am

Rear axle outer bearing sleeves for a TT that are drilled and have a dimple like the originals.
New 5:1 gears for a TT.
Ruckstell for a TT.

And a special thanks to all the vendors out there who do supply quality parts!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by Jugster » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 am

One of the most useful items is the small running-board toolbox, sometimes referred to as the "battery box." I would say that for most of us, the large running-board toolboxes, which are fairly common, are too large, much more so than necessary, and take up way too much "foot-room" on the running-board. My search for a small toolbox took about two years and even then, the only example I could find was expensive, in spite of needing welding, stripping, priming, painting, etc. And the latch didn't even have a key. I'm too embarrassed to admit the final cost of the darned thing. Still, it holds everything I need to bring along without looking like I parked an aircraft carrier on the running-board.

This is an item that should be easy enough to manufacture and sell in healthy numbers as the market for them is wide open and not only would they sell to the Model T community, but to the brass, horseless carriage community as well. All kinds of replacement sheet-metal parts are available for the Model T, so why not this?
Attachments
Small_Battery_Box.jpg
Small_Battery_Box.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 16078 times

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:21 am

I would like to see parts that are made correctly, at least as good or better than Ford made them. Some of the new parts are useless.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615

Post by jab35 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 am

Doug: Are you also waiting for a Funprojects 6 v regulator? I ordered one in Oct 2018, backordered, still waiting,,,,,, Theoretically, a vendor is currently making 6 v regulators, theoretically. jb

Ed Baudoux
First Name: Edward
Last Name: Baudoux
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Fordor 1926 Huckster 1930 Fordor 1930 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 24216

Post by Ed Baudoux » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:53 am

Steel 26-27 rear fenders. Fordor/Tudor/Touring, Roadster/Coupe, and Depot Hack style.
Grayling Michigan
1927 Fordor
1926 Huckster
Founding member of Northern Michigan Drone Skeet Shooting Club :twisted:

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:32 am

It ain't gonna happen, but a quality reproduction gas tank for the "improved" Ts.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:54 am

I would like to see each of the transmission bushings available with an outside diameter of maybe .010” or more oversize, maybe even unfinished on the outside diameter so they could easily be finish machined to the exact dimension needed for a good press fit.

I would also like to see all transmission bushings with oil grooves that are exactly to the Ford print.

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)

Post by babychadwick » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Working on this new to me old car I was face with a similar problem, it seems I have no spark and the best option is spending many hundreds to have someone fix it all good. Unfortunately every time I need points I will need to find someone with a proper machine to calibrate them. Knowing the person to go to is in his 80's and I plan to keep this car for a very long time I know that source WILL disappear so I opted to go a different route and run electronic ignition.

My thoughts are more speedster related but what I would like to see is a good updraft or sidedraft that will provide what's "needed" for an improved engine without being too big. A nice hand pump for a fuel tank would be good as the originals are getting pricy and they don't seem too difficult to make. A proper gasoline pressure gauge and a proper oil pressure gauge, something that looks correct. Along the same lines a good gas pedal with foot rest. On the working side of things a bracket that would support an engine (thinking KR) mounting in the pan bolt holes and water inlet that could attach to something on the market.

Just a few thoughts
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Chadwick

there are certainly plenty of sources for ignition component repair and calibration. I have found that repaired coils are good for nearly a lifetime, and calibration for nearly as long. They are as far away as your Post Office. If you go to electronic, that is a choice, not a necessity.
Scott Conger

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:14 pm

Re (thinking KR) mounting in the pan bolt holes and water inlet that could attach to something on the market.

all suppliers carry them, unless they too are out of stock.

Any of the Stombergs with a 1 in their model such as oe-1(up) os-1(side) of-1 (Ford side) are about the right size for the T engine.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:37 pm

...it seems I have no spark and the best option is spending many hundreds to have someone fix it all good. Unfortunately every time I need points I will need to find someone with a proper machine to calibrate them. Knowing the person to go to is in his 80's and I plan to keep this car for a very long time I know that source WILL disappear so I opted to go a different route and run electronic ignition.

If you're referring to stock ignition, I don't see a problem in that department. Unless you have to pull the engine and rebuild the magneto, I can't see it costing many hundreds to get the system working. There are several coil rebuilders (certainly not all over 80), spark plugs are under $5, most complete wiring kits are under $100, most new timers are well under $100 and you can find decent used ones at swap meets for WAY under that. What would run the cost up to many hundreds?
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Jeepbone1
First Name: Brad
Last Name: Kirtner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring Car, 1927 Closed Cab TT, 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50618
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Jeepbone1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:26 pm

I for one would love to see some NEW quality key switch parts that ACTUALLY FIT an original switch and tumbler. And not just in a #55.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:54 pm

This does become an interesting subject in looking into the future as I have attempted this before. After making some very unique, hand crafted, high quality items I just shelved them with the photo-types, (some with CNC programs), etc. Everyone was in years back, but the price it appears always stops the deal. Not trying to "Make Money" just return on investment, continuous inflation of quality materials, and time in quality control.

If you want a cheaper product, then do not expect a person or business to stand behind it. Buy extra shoes for walking and keep your smart-phone charged up.

If you wish quality that meets YOUR expectations, Do it yourself or PAY another's price for products or services.

Hank in Tin-A-See

Ken_Carpenter
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: Carpenter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Ken_Carpenter » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:08 pm

I just want to see vendors being there at the start of a sales meet AND stay until the end. I live in France and I can't justify the cost of travel, food and accommodation to places like Chickasha if vendors are going home early!!

Eck
First Name: William
Last Name: Sheppard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster pickup
MTFCI Number: 24498

Post by Eck » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:54 pm

Nice radiator shell for my 26. Would love to find a chrome to dress up my pickup.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:19 pm

Eck wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:54 pm
Nice radiator shell for my 26. Would love to find a chrome to dress up my pickup.
What is this chrome you speak of ?? :lol:

Roffe
First Name: Rolf
Last Name: Oehman

Post by Roffe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:22 am

New gas tanks (cowl) for the improved model T.

Raoul von S.
First Name: Raoul
Last Name: Vaughn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 truck

Post by Raoul von S. » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:07 am

A mid-to-low grade black spray paint in a can to get that OEM color on pretty much everything
like Henry did ....

What's gonna happen when you can no longer get black paint ?
"Working today, for a seamless tomorrow"

Jrhoads
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Rhoads
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 7497

Post by Jrhoads » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:28 pm

As long as we’re dreaming of pie in the sky, how about some duplicate-of-original Hyatt roller bearings? (I know, it’s not gonna happen — but it would be nice.)

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:38 pm

A reasonable back order time! If something is put on back order an e- mail with an expected arrival date would be nice!
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

florap
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Flora
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Touring 13 Speedster
MTFCI Number: 21967

Post by florap » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Model T Headers

Larry e rutt
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Rutt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 fordor

Post by Larry e rutt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Window riser rollers..

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Oil that will STAY in the engine !! :( :lol:

Dean Kiefer
First Name: Dean
Last Name: Kiefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1926 Snowmobile, 1926 Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 16653
MTFCI Number: 15244
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Dean Kiefer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Air that will stay in the new inner tubes.

babychadwick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)

Post by babychadwick » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Scott and Steve, the first part was drawing a comparison to a different car that I wish the ignition parts were available. That car is a 12 cylinder Lincoln Zephyr. As for T ignition I would like to see an aftermarket mag with spark advance or a dual spark mag but that's never going to happen.

The second paragraph was relating to what I would like to see for a model T.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Chadwick

now you've peaked my curiosity! What calibration does this gentleman do to the ignition? Is it a knowledge thing or obsolete test equipment issue? Am wracking my brain to figure out what it might be that you were talking about...thanks!
Scott Conger

Raoul von S.
First Name: Raoul
Last Name: Vaughn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 truck

Post by Raoul von S. » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 pm

"Piqued"
"Working today, for a seamless tomorrow"

gla448
First Name: bernie
Last Name: glass
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: a lot of parts

Post by gla448 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 pm

NEW ROADSTER REAR 1\4 PANELS FOR 1913 TO 1927

Mindless Automaton
First Name: Kep
Last Name: Kerensky
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 truck, 26 bug
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Mindless Automaton » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:02 am

I know people that can supply almost all those except the tires and tubes. But you won't like the price.

Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by Jugster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 am

How about re-issuing this discontinued side-view mirror?
Attachments
b mirror.jpg
b mirror.jpg (22.59 KiB) Viewed 15360 times

babychadwick

Post by babychadwick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:39 pm

Scott-
The "distributor" has 2 sets of points and a rotor firing via 2 coils that are mounted to the distributor. There are basically 2 6 cylinder distributors acting as a single unit. The points are calibrated using an older unit to adjust when they open/close, while they can be done by measuring without the proper tools it can easily result in half they cylinders lagging behind the others. So yes, the obsolete equipment and skills are beneficial in making the dist "right"

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by D Stroud » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:10 am

Correct windshield slide arm nuts (screws?) for '24-'25 closed cars. I think they are same ones that are used on the TT closed cabs. The ones that have been listed in the vendors catalogs for YEARS are no where near correct, they were for some other windshield, I forget which. My new Lang's catalog doesn't list them now, FINALLY! I have been telling them about this for YEARS, since the '90's! Maybe they FINALLY paid attention. They could be made very easily with a CNC machine out of Stainless Steel I would think. They are very similar to the '26-'27 style but have a male thread instead of a female thread. Just one of my pet peeves that has gone on for years. JMHO Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by D Stroud » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 am

Also, the slide arms themselves. They were just made for two years, '24-'25, other than the ones for the TT's. Again, I would think they could be made with a CNC machine out of Stainless Steel cheaply enough to make them profitable. JMHO Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Rick_Rice
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Rice
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 TT Closed Cab Express
MTFCA Number: 50121

Post by Rick_Rice » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:21 am

Absolutely new 5:1 gear sets for TT's. Lots and lots of guys wanting these.
Kind Regards,
Rick

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Rick

throw out a $$ # of what you'd pay. Dan McEachern might make them if they were profitable.
Scott Conger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 pm

I am amazed that no-one has mentioned clincher tyres of merchantable quality which are fit for purpose! If the general public had the crap we are stuck with, with the attendant very low mileage attainable, and the extensive cracking problems, there would be an outcry! It can be done. It should be done. We need competition in the market place, or a willingness on the part of the cartel to do something about it. I will not be holding my breath.

Allan from down under.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:22 am

I think the new TT gear sets appeared on the market around $800 and were around $1,200 the last time they were available. I believe the maker was doing his own metal casting. I would think that if they were a profitable item, they would still be available. I wonder if anyone would pay around $2k for new ones?

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:25 am

Adam

I'm not a TT owner, so it's moot for me, but having some working idea of the effort involved, materials, etc., I think $2,000 would be a reasonable price point to shoot for. They'd have to be made in batches, for sure, to justify set-ups, involve significant design and prep time, then suffer the opportunity cost of having a number of them sit on the shelf for some period waiting for buyers after the initial wave is over. I'm certain they'll be available again, but when and for how much, we'll have to wait and see.
Scott Conger

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:50 pm

babychadwick wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:39 pm
Scott-
The "distributor" has 2 sets of points and a rotor firing via 2 coils that are mounted to the distributor. There are basically 2 6 cylinder distributors acting as a single unit. The points are calibrated using an older unit to adjust when they open/close, while they can be done by measuring without the proper tools it can easily result in half they cylinders lagging behind the others. So yes, the obsolete equipment and skills are beneficial in making the dist "right"
Chad, are you talking about a Model T? Sounds complicated - post some photos as I've not seen anything like you describe for a T.
Terry

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:53 pm

Dittos on the nice brass mirror. I have one on my 14 T and it's not only great looking, it's a real nice quality piece of workmanship. I believe the rectangle shaped mirrors are still available but would like to have another oval version on hand for my pending 15 project, or as a spare.
Anyone know why the oval mirror was discontinued? Is the rectangle unit next? If it's a get them while you can I wont hesitate.
Terry

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Having one foot in another restoration hobby (antique airplanes), I am eternally amazed and thankful for the variety of Model T parts and suppliers. And I'm grateful for their very reasonable prices. The most recent Lang's catalog is a case in point. Looking through the Lang's reminds me of looking at the Sears & Roebuck catalog (the "wish book") when I was a child.

Do I wish the quality of some items could be better ? Can I think of things that they don't have ? Sure. But in the big picture I feel like we are living in a golden age of parts and information availability.

Dick Fischer

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Excuse me for accidentally omitting one more thing I'm thankful for. And that's the number of skilled and knowledgeable people who perform specialized services for us. I'll mention Stan Howe as an example, but there are many more like him. We should treasure these gifted people.

Dick

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:25 pm

High quality rear axle shafts, made to the correct length, with rolled threads as the originals had, and with correct keyways made to the correct size. Also, with the radius between the end of the threads and the start of the taper, (instead of the dead-sharp corner that most now have).

babychadwick

Post by babychadwick » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:02 pm

In an earlier post (in between the two) I tried to explain.
babychadwick wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:40 pm
Scott and Steve, the first part was drawing a comparison to a different car that I wish the ignition parts were available. That car is a 12 cylinder Lincoln Zephyr. As for T ignition I would like to see an aftermarket mag with spark advance or a dual spark mag but that's never going to happen.

The second paragraph was relating to what I would like to see for a model T.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic