Common Wrench: Unusual Ford Script

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tgiro
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Amara
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring

Common Wrench: Unusual Ford Script

Post by tgiro » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:46 pm

A Model A friend of mine gave me a T-1917 wrench to add to the many already in my tool box. I pulled them all out of the box to examine the design differences from the many suppliers of this wrench. It was then that I noticed one of them had two different Ford scripts, one on top of the other. At first I thought someone had etched the larger script on the wrench. But it’s not etched. It’s larger and appears to resemble an early style logo. I hope you can see it in the photo. Any ideas?
Attachments
84130287-7053-44BA-A6DB-CED3163511B9.jpeg

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Common Wrench: Unusual Ford Script

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:53 pm

Better hang onto it. When that happens to coins they're worth big bucks. :D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:03 pm

Probably what happened there was a design change and there were wrenches that weren’t stamped very well and yours was used when the new different script logo was used. It wouldn’t be surprising that there are wrench’s that had defects and yours was one of them and was finally used. But of course it’s just a guess! But if it was a double stamp US coin that’s a whole other story! And that’s not a guess!

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:28 pm

Pretty common I'd say. That is the style that came after the 1913 type.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:37 am

Henry Ford was known to be good at recycling things, even wooden crates.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:33 pm

In Fords thinking if the part worked that was OK. Never mind a blemish. I have a few T blocks and one has a slightly blurred Ford script on it. Sometimes the O in the Ford script isn’t real clear and others are. I’m sure others have noticed this over the years also. Probably when the casting was taken out of the mold blurs occurred.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Ditto that, I have a head that the script is blurry and not well defined (like the core got jostled, the sand wasn't moist enough, or who knows) but I'm sure that never stopped it from going on a car, as long as the part functioned and was within design parameters...

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:33 pm

Lots of variations in script on band wrenches.

Three to the far right are approx. 1915 to 1920.

Rest are approx. 1921 to the end of production - large and small script.
Attachments
1.JPG

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Put in the For What It Is worth column...

I have long held that Ford never had control over their own tool supply for the T. They put out an order for tools where the Purchase Order reigned, they then made drawings of what they received from a supplier for archive purposes and eventually assigning a T-number, and so it went. We have collective evidence that just as many tools didn't follow the drawing as those that did.

The supplier on the other hand was already a commercial tool supplier of the items in question. The supplier then had two choices once the logo requirement came in a couple of years later. They could make production runs with Ford in the die, or...they could run a re-strike of their own commercial product to satisfy Ford needs as to monthly volume. Part of the rationalization here is there are just as many identical monkey wrenches today without the script as there are with?

This one appears to have been almost a mis-strike that was tossed back into material supply and struck again but on a different line the second time around.

I came to this conclusion a while back about strikes and re-strikes because I was having trouble accepting that an order for 50,000 tools such as a wrench spread out over 9 months that ramps up to 1 million + per year that that were used near monthly, especially when Ford was buying on the open market. Would you increase your factory 20 fold as a windfall when you didn't control the one source policy? I sorta doubt it, and there is apparently no evidence that Ford offered single source contracts.

Just my thoughts, your own opinions may vary

Dennis Fleming
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Fleming
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 touring,23 TT Express,23 Center Door,15 Touring,22 Speedster,22Coupe
MTFCA Number: 27815
MTFCI Number: 19314
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Dennis Fleming » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:54 pm

I think these wrenches are cast steel and a supplier used an existing wrench as a pattern which has left what is called a ghost mark in the sand mold. The supplier probably was required to use the current approved logo.
You find this in cast iron skillets from time to time when a new foundry would take a quality Griswold skillet as a mold and put their own logo in the mold but sometimes you can still see the faint Griswold cross logo in the background .
Just a thought.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic