OT - Old Photo - Pre T - Ford Endures - Home of Superman

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Lyndon
First Name: Lyndon
Last Name: Moore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 8
MTFCA Number: 27876
Board Member Since: 2018

OT - Old Photo - Pre T - Ford Endures - Home of Superman

Post by Lyndon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:08 am

I have had this picture for years. And have a lot of questions that I would like to have answered. I suppose it is an N model, from I have learned lately, because of the step. The car shows to have a lot of missing parts. As you see all the advertisements on the car, and notice it says Metropolis Illinois. Which is the home of Superman. This community is not that far from me, and I have been there many times. Was this picture took a lot later than this cars time? And was it just fixed up as a parade car for this dealer. When did recapping tires start? The license plate. I only see a 4 in the lower corner. Does this mean 1914? Why is the people dressed this way? I cannot make out what it says below the crank on the small sign. There is a sign that says official car. Also just above the word Ford is the start of more wordings. But with the glare of the sun, all you can make out is ALL. I sure would like to have some information on what was going on here, and also the businesses. Especially since this is close to my area.
Attachments
IMG_0405.JPG

Raoul von S.
First Name: Raoul
Last Name: Vaughn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 truck

Re: OT - Old Photo - Pre T - Ford Endures - Home of Superman

Post by Raoul von S. » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:59 am

My gut tells me this was taken in the 40's, and the car is a novelty attention-gitter for the
local Ford dealer. The reverse facing horns and guy by the hood suggest there is a bit of
silliness at hand.
"Working today, for a seamless tomorrow"

Topic author
Lyndon
First Name: Lyndon
Last Name: Moore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 8
MTFCA Number: 27876
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Lyndon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:56 pm

Raoul, you got me thinking and I looked at the stamp box. It is AZO with squares in the corners. This dates this PC from 1927 to 1940
- 1904-1918 Four triangles, pointing up.
- 1918-1930 Two 'up' and two 'down' triangles.
- 1927-1940 Squares in the corners.

TrentB
First Name: Trent
Last Name: Boggess

Post by TrentB » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:48 pm

This is most likely a 1907 Model N, although it could be a 1906.

One feature of note is the radiator cap. This is what is some times referred to as the light bulb radiator cap because the cap actually screwed into the radiator neck, not on top of it as in the later design. The threads on this cap resemble those found on an American incandescent light bulb, hence the name. This style was used up until about mid- 1907.

The rear fenders are clearly Model N. Front fenders and irons seemed to be gon.

Another Interesting feature of this car is the body platform. The original Model N body platform with its pointed turtle deck has been replaced by one that is dimensionally the same, but the turtle deck is replaced by what may have been a rear mother-in-law seat. This design converted odythe car into a three passenger car. It also provided space for carrying packages, etc. There is a lid on the box at the rear making it into trunk.

One of my Ns has a body very similar to this and photos are attached below. This body is most like based on a 1906 Model N. There were two sizes of front seats used on Model Ns. The 1906 Ns have a seat that is several inches narrower than Model Ns built after Model N #2500. This one has the narrower front seat. The hole for the gas tank sediment bulb is located on the left hand side of the car. Later, again in 1907, the sediment bulb was moved closer to the center line of the car.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess
Attachments
DSCN0180.JPG
DSCN0181.JPG

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:53 pm

The license plate is a 1914 Ill. The 1 in 14 is very thin and hard to see. That doesn't mean the photo was taken then. It has the look of later photograph but who knows. I always like these photos that have lots to think about.
Rich
When did I do that?

Drkbp
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: Parker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1925

Post by Drkbp » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:18 pm

Nice introductory article on the new Ford Model N,
Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal, June 1906.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... 0;size=125

On June 2, 1906, Henry Ford drove the author to Pontiac, Michigan, and back. It was a 49 mile round trip and the only temporary loss was Henry's cap and the crank handle.
Car was built in October 1905 and had 30,000 miles on it.

Is this the "light bulb" radiator cap?
Attachments
ENGINE RIGHT 2.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic