JB Weld

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

JB Weld

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:46 pm

In the past, JB Weld made one product which most of us have used and are familiar with, which is the two part moldable epoxy putty. Recently, JB Weld has started making a thin, two part transparent epoxy glue that comes in a double tube syringe and also a version for larger jobs that comes in two large squirt bottles.

Since these two JB Weld products are used for different purposes, I think that when we recommend that “JB Weld” be used for a certain purpose, we should specify which type of JB Weld we are referring to. The putty, or the clear epoxy glue. Not doing so, might result in someone using the wrong product on his job, that will result in failure and confusion. Jim Patrick

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Re: JB Weld

Post by Dropacent » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:53 pm

One of my all time pet peeves is using any epoxy product on a historical auto made of nothing but metal, glass, rubber and cloth. When you are the caretaker you can do anything you want. It’s the poor guy down the road that will sadly discover epoxy in cracks, on radiators, rotten wood, anywhere a quick temporary fix is needed. Do it once and do it right. In my opinion, unless it’s something cosmetic, epoxy is just a bandaid temporary “fix”. Not really a fix at all.
This is burned into my brain, perhaps because real early in my working career I was tasked with digging pounds of epoxy out of the wood structure of a Packard body. Some well meaning “restorer” poured it in to take the place of missing and rotten wood.
You can all do what you like, and I’m sure lots will, but I’ve been on the receiving end WAY too many times of items repaired with epoxy and not told beforehand. Most should have been thrown in the scrap pile, some were worth and able to be repaired correctly. JMHO. We are only caretakers of our old cars, and should respect them better.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:51 pm

Jim,

There are MANY versions of JB Weld. Marine, Plastic, Wood, Kwik, and the list goes on. Some of them are "old school". Some of them are the 5 minute types. Some even work in water. I know JB Weld has been around for at least 50 years. A product will not have that kind of lifetime if it didn't work.

Jack Putnam, in Ohio
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Putnam
MTFCA Number: 13833
MTFCI Number: 13353

Post by Jack Putnam, in Ohio » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:24 pm

IF you are going to use an epoxy compound I think it is your responsibility to READ the label to see if you are going to use the product in the right application. One should not depend on someone else to tell you which product to use.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic