Road trip in a 14

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dan Haynes
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Road trip in a 14

Post by Dan Haynes » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:18 pm

I'm planning a trip in a Model T from San Joaquin County, California, up through Sacramento County and Oroville, ultimately via Hwy 70 through Feather River Canyon into Plumas County (Crescent Mills, Greenville/Lake Almanor). Then after some sightseeing going around Lake Almanor to Chester and Seneca, driving back down via Hwy 70 through Quincy and down Hwy 49. It will be about 600 miles round trip over probably 4 days.

Several years ago I corresponded with one of our forum regulars who lives in... Taylorsville? Quincy? Dang it, I can't remember. And I can't remember who it was :(, but I remember he had a TT.

Does anyone else live up there?
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Road trip in a 14

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:24 pm

I think Susanne lives up around Almanor, or maybe Lassen, doesn't she? That will be a good trip. Lots of pretty country.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:36 am

There are a number of us T owners around Oroville, so help is nearby! I don't know how soon you are thinking about this trip as right now 70 is closed in the canyon due to the fire. The weather is beginning to change and it will be getting downright chilly in the mountains too. If you like mechanical things, you will want to set aside about a half-day to explore the Railroad Museum in Portola. They even have a 23 runabout railcar.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
Dan Haynes

Post by Dan Haynes » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:38 am

Yikes, David, thanks for the wake-up call about the fire. Jeez, it's huge and sprawled right between Oroville and Quincy, burning right up to Feather River. I looked this morning and it is a miserable thing, 24 or 25 people killed and who knows how many houses and other buildings lost.

I don't mind it being cold in the mornings and evenings, that makes for a fun drive if you're dressed for it, but the whole project will go in the hopper until the fire is out. By then it will probably be freezing in the mornings.
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:30 pm

I live a bit further north, at the eastern foot of Mt. Lassen (off highway 44, not 36), east of Shingletown... Almanor is about 80 miles from here, give or take... some beautiful countryside around the lake, there's a very cool old gas station (and rock shop) in Greenville that I like to frequent, plus a LOT of good food to be had in Quincy... The run up 70 through the Feather River Canyon is both historic and scenic... and you can either make the right turn at the Wye to Quincy or the left to Chester... Lots of beautiful roads in our part of the world!!

Linus Tremaine
First Name: linus
Last Name: tremaine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: I do not have a model T. But I like them. I Have a 1930 Lincoln.

Post by Linus Tremaine » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:50 pm

when are you going dan?

L

Topic author
Dan Haynes

Post by Dan Haynes » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:02 pm

Hey, Linus -

I don't know when I'm leaving now, LOL.
Last Sunday I was supposed to deliver a touring car I sold, but was unable to do so, so I spent some time Saturday tearing the '14 runabout apart to harvest the radiator you were going to pick up in San Jose. I'll have to do that trip this coming weekend. The radiator is boxed up in the same box the new radiator came in. I have another one and, if I remember, I'll bring that one, too, so you and Brian can take your pick and I'll take the unloved one back, whichever it is.

Getting the car back together isn't a concern, I have all the stuff (thanks, Lang's!); that is, I have all the stuff except for a region that is not currently on fire. Putting off the trip for a couple of weeks isn't a deterrent, I'll just need more layers and to wear a muffler around my face because, like a dog, I love the wind in my face and I always drive with the windshield down. The concealing muffler will also help prevent frightening occupants in oncoming cars.

I spent so much time in Plumas as a kid, it is calling to me. Those little places up there are changing and not for the better. We would always go that route on the way up to the Modoc tours and stop to see what's up. The hotel in Crescent Mills is closed, the old Kingdon Store is now some kind of an art gallery/craft store combo? Everyone I remember growing up is buried in the cemetery on the hill and there used to be some real characters in that little town like Claude and Eva Neer who, when I was little, I actually thought were Ma and Pa Kettle in real life. I felt so privileged to know those famous people and to visit their famous movie house.

Greenville is evolving, too. I remember Flood's Motor Court on the outskirts of town and Ayoob's dry goods store with acerbic Mr. Ayoob himself, always dapper his suit pants, vest and watch chain. And the Coach House restaurant, the movie theater that was a quonset hut with a glassed-in area in the very back for mothers to take their crying babies. But so many of the storefronts in Greenville are now empty with "for rent" signs in the windows.

I want to go back to Seneca to see if there is anything left of it. I'm sure Seneca John's, with its sprinkler on the roof wetting the foot-thick thatch of moss (the "air conditioning") is long gone and forgotten. I suspect the roof finally fell in. I want to drive through Chester and maybe stop and walk it (easy walk, it's little). I want to make the drive up to Round Valley Lake (reservoir) and see if I can find the old "Comeback" Mine where my grandfather worked. While I'm up there I want to make the short trip out to Taylorsville. I don't know anybody there anymore, but it's still a memory.

To start the trip back, I figured I'd overnight in Quincy and have dinner, then breakfast. Now I will have to find someplace that Suzanne says is so tasty. Then continue down to 49 and eventually back to Lodi.

Will the Wedgewood Wonder be ready for a trip? It would be fun to make a mini tour out of it.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:30 pm

I think it was about sixty years ago that I was in Chester and saw winter photos of people walking in trenches through about eight feet of snow. I suppose the photos were on display because the snow was exceptionally deep that winter.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:54 am

Beautiful country up there where the Incense Cedar grows. Miles and miles
of nothing, but stunning views and vistas ! One of my favorite places on earth !
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Topic author
Dan Haynes

Post by Dan Haynes » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:11 pm

Well.

To all the fine folks who live up in Plumas county and environs...

I'm just speechless.

Greenville, Canyon Dam, Lake Almanor, Chester, Taylorsville, Crescent Mills, Round Valley Lake, Westwood and all the great little places nestled in the Feather River Canyon and beyond.

To all of you, be safe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic