Commutators

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

Commutators

Post by Jugster » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:46 pm

Commutators b flat.jpg
For a good many of us, the experience of driving a century-old car isn't about convenience or reliability. In fact, historical purists see frequently required maintenance and inconvenient breakdowns as part of the game. Other folks are just looking for some reliable fun. They're okay with putting demountable wheel rims and spare tires on a car that was not manufactured with them and feel the same about replacing an original, truffle-snuffling commutator with a Volkswagen distributor. Such modifications certainly improve the reliability of the car and if you're going to do a lot of touring, reliability counts for a lot.

I'm not a devout purist. For safety reasons, my car has extra stop-lights, 4-way flashers, turn-signals and a 12-volt electrical system which also powers a self-starter. Hand-cranking is a no-no for me because I'm in personal possession of a stack of vertebra and discs evidently in need of major surgery and titanium reinforcement every eight years, so I can't afford to be a purist. But hey, neither have I crossed over to the dark side! See, I'm of the opinion that part of the warp & woof of the Model T Ford is its famously cantankerous pig of an ignition system—one seemingly having been inspired by that British titan of automotive electrical systems, Lucas. Okay, okay; nothing is really that bad. In fact, the porcine coil & commutator ignition system on Henry's pride and joy was designed by a Ford patriarch by the name of Ed "Spider" Huff—though Henry did try to hog all the credit for it (Sorry, couldn't resist). The flywheel-magneto, coil and commutator ignition system was a unique beast unto the Model T, its primary purpose, that of avoiding payment of royalties to the patent-holders of industry-standard magnetos—which were simple, self-contained, extremely powerful and dead reliable. Oh, well.

Yes, the Ford roller-timer is the kind of piggy which only a muppet frog could love. The fact that a new timer design has come out every year since the Ford Model T started rolling off the assembly line, and continues to this very day, is clearly indicative of that. Could it really be that in over a century, nobody has come out with a timer that does not create a need for next year's new-and-improved model?

My Flivver came with an original roller-timer and it caused no end of trouble. Unfortunately, I, being a newbie to the hobby, didn't know enough to point an accusing finger at the true culprit and whenever my engine would misbehave, I'd wind up shipping coils off to be tuned, replacing the ignition harness, cleaning and re-gapping spark-plugs and taking apart every accessible ignition component to clean and polish all the terminals. On one occasion, a friend came in from out of state to help me diagnose my balky engine and did a compression check which, unexpectedly, turned out perfectly normal. From all appearances, the timer seemed okay, but out of frustration, and not knowing what the heck else to do, I purchased a replacement. Turned out, this little piggy actually fixed the problem.

The old timer sits in a cardboard box on my work-bench and every now and then, when I feel especially boared (Sorry, couldn't resist again), I'll check it over for the umpteenth time, trying to find the hidden flaw. Now, I'm the son of an aerospace machinist, so I know a micrometer from a dial indicator, but darned if I can figure out why this slop-snorting thing doesn't work. It's not out of round, the terminals are all solid, the roller spins free and true—I don't get it.

The new commutator is one of the last rebuilt and overhauled by an old-school machinist/timer guru of sterling reputation before he retired. Though it imparts a smooth idle and good acceleration, it needs to be cleaned with the same monotonous frequency as the porcine unit it replaced—a chore which is a boar (Somebody stop me). I give it a squirt of 5W-30 motor oil every other day of driving and use WD-40 as a solvent when it comes time to clean it. That'll usually keep it behaving for another 170 miles. The lesson learned is that when my engine starts acting up, the most probable culprit will be that swine of a timer; the proverbial fly in the oinkment.

That's all, folks!

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Re: Commutators

Post by MKossor » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:32 pm

The Ideal Timer for the Model T realy does exist. Www.modeltitimer.com
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

L.I. Tom
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Pilz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 roadster, 1923 roadster pickup

Post by L.I. Tom » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:46 pm

Just a thought sometimes the Springs are weak and the roller bounces. Love the pig and your explanation gave me a laugh.😄

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:31 pm

I personally don't like roller timers. Sure they work ok for a while, but they require frequent cleaning and oiling and once the fiber ring gets bumpy the engine will pop and miss at speed and not pull well any more. Anderson and new day timers are my personal favorites. I've tried many different types and those two get my vote for reliability and performance.

Stephen

Vrayfoster
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Foster
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16395
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by Vrayfoster » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:07 pm

What I discovered about roller timers is a bit of metal wear particles will get under the timer ring and occasionally would short out the lowest post. The problem wasn't continuous as the timer lower post would clear the short then short again creating occasional misfires. On day cranking my engine it backfired telling me something ain't right. Unfortunately that was how I found my timer problem. I quit using roller timers after that experience.

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KWTownsend » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:18 pm

I always love reading your posts Bob. Like Steven, I prefer an Anderson or an AnCo timer.

: ^ )

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic