World War 1 Model Ts

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
FieldMarshalRed
First Name: Randy
Last Name: Tran
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: None
MTFCA Number: 51174
Board Member Since: 2020

World War 1 Model Ts

Post by FieldMarshalRed » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:56 am

Hello everyone, it's Randy. The Ford Model T was built throughout the late 1900s, the entire 1910s, and much of the 1920s decade. This means that there were Ts built during the First World War. Were there any Model Ts used during WW1? If so, what were they used for? Were they used as supply trucks, staff cars, troop transports? Thank you for your time.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: World War 1 Model Ts

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:21 am

Sounds like somebody wasn't taught enough history in school? Not surprising these days, especially in Califunny.
Henry Ford was a pacifist, and basically did not support the war. Ford helped supply ambulances to tend wounded, and some other support vehicles. In addition to that, model Ts were often repurposed (modified) for war use. In Northern Africa, it has been said that there were only two makes of automobiles the Allied Forces wanted to use in the deserts. Those being Rolls Royces (nearly indestructible!), and model T Fords (almost unstoppable, and easy to repair).

You should take a quick look through a section of this forum's gallery

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/app.php/gallery/album/54

There have been several regular contributors on this forum that have restored Great War era model Ts, including a couple very nice ambulances. Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of them lately.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:53 am

Ton Truck chassis were initially produced in few numbers in 1917 and in greater numbers in 1918 but a WW I And Model T ‘expert’ told me there was no evidence of these vehicles sent to Europe. Did you know that Walt Disney drove Model T ambulances for the AEF during WW I ?
I read it on the I’Net so it must be true...
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

JimBeam23
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davidson

Post by JimBeam23 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:25 am

Wayne Sheldon wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:21 am
Sounds like somebody wasn't taught enough history in school? Not surprising these days, especially in Califunny.
Henry Ford was a pacifist, and basically did not support the war. Ford helped supply ambulances to tend wounded, and some other support vehicles. In addition to that, model Ts were often repurposed (modified) for war use. In Northern Africa, it has been said that there were only two makes of automobiles the Allied Forces wanted to use in the deserts. Those being Rolls Royces (nearly indestructible!), and model T Fords (almost unstoppable, and easy to repair).

You should take a quick look through a section of this forum's gallery

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/app.php/gallery/atvum/54

There have been several regular contributors on this forum that have restored Great War era model Ts, including a couple very nice ambulances. Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of them lately.
Totally agree. By the way, has anyone seen the Ford ambulance is on display at the Memorial in Kansas City, MO?

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:33 am

Have to agree with Wayne Sheldon on this one!
It’s kind of amazing what our younger folks don’t seem to know about the recent past. It’s not necessarily their fault but the the neglect of real history and geography by the educational system that’s gotten away from it.
I’m glad there’s some like Randy that wants to learn about ModelT’s and their contributions to the building of America.

Herb Iffrig
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Iffrig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1918 TT Hucksters

Post by Herb Iffrig » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:44 am

Wayne I have seen the WWI Museum in Kansas City. It is quite a Museum. I was very impressed by the displays there.
There is a Model T ambulance there that represents the Model T being used in the Great War. I did notice that there are some parts on the vehicle that are incorrect for the time period. I don't think the average visitor would notice parts from a mid twenties Model T being on a 1917 or so car, but I did. :roll:

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314

Post by MWalker » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:52 am

George House -- What I read on the internet is that Walt Disney took advantage of some "Kodak moments" while he posed with a WW-I ambulance, but that he never actually drove one while enlisted.

Randy -- While Henry was a pacifist and didn't want to contribute to the war effort, other countries such as England, France, and Australia used Ford's products during the war. France had an extensive fleet of ambulances. RAF Col. Hucks invented an airplane starter mechanism to mount on Ford truck and car chassis and several of those were built, near the end of the war and afterward. Google "Hucks Starter" for lots of info on those. Australia used Ford chassis for "Light Patrol Cars" which had machine guns mounted and were deployed mostly in North Africa during the war. (Google "Light Car Patrols.") And yes, there were lots of staff cars and various trucks used by several countries as well.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:15 am

I live in California, and we did study history. WWI was "Recent" History, and WWII was "Current Events". It was things such as Spanish American War that we didn't really do much study. There has been so much going on since WW II that there is not enough time to study in great detail the events before about 2,000. We actually had every year an assembly around Memorial Day where a veteran of the Civil War would come and sit in front of the auditorium. Now WWII is about as far in the past as the Civil War was when I attended school and we might see a WWII veteran on occasion.
Turning this subject to Model T's, My first car was a 1929 Model A. It was first purchased in January 1929 and had many features of the 1928 model. I bought it for $95 and it was in running condition. I knew that there were Model T's but could not say when they had been manufactured. I learned most of what I know about Model T's from the club and publications about Ford. We did study a little about the "Industrial revolution" but those things were considered "progressive". Now "Progressive" means turning back to the former things. :lol: Most things which happened before I was born could have been as far back as B.C. to me. Most of the things I can remember from history class was much teaching on the founding of our nation from the early settlers and the Revolutionary War,the "westward movement" the Civil War. but some things about it were not taught. I found out later from others. One of my grandmothers was born in Canada. However, her family first settled in Connecticut. They were loyal to the king and when their side lost, they lost their citizenship and their property. They were offered land in Canada, and that's how they got there. In fact on my grandfather's side, one of my ancestors fought with George Washington and his sister was married to a Torrey. After the war, that family was split between the two countries! But I didn't learn those things in history class. I found out from studying geneology on my own.
Norm

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:26 pm

Henry Ford was a pacifist, and at first he did not approve of his cars being a part in the conflict, however he did supply the allied forces with chassis to build into ambulances,
when the US joined the war he quickly put all his production facilities at work to support the War Department AT COST...
Thousands and thousands of model Ts were turned out in all kind of versions including a standardised Ambulance, the M1917 of which you'll find a picture here.
He also produced all kinds of other stuff for the Army includung Tanks, only a few experimental ones but at least each one had TWO model T engines. one to drive each track, imagine trying to steer that in a straight line ;)

Another interesting story is that of the American Field Service, a Volunteer Ambulance (and medical)organisation that still exists today that started in the beginning of the First World War, they have a great website with lots of history ! look them up : https://afs.org/category/history/
Attachments
US Army model 1.1.jpg
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:18 pm

Walt Disney served with the Red Cross in the ambulance service. He adjusted his birth year back from 1901 to 1900 to get in , that was in 1918. He got the Spanish Flu in training and missed deployment to France with his unit in the fall of 1918. After 11/11/18 he was able to get assigned as a replacent driver and sent to France in December 1918 and spent most of 1919 driving important people around France, returning to the States in late 1919. Most of his time in France he would have been driving a Model T ambulance.
This info is from official Disney history .

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:39 pm

16 yr old Walt Disney WWI.jpg
Walt by his ambulance
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

George Mills
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032

Post by George Mills » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:25 pm

This is the pic of the T used by Disney daughter for the private museum dedicated to Walt memory she built in San Fran...

French language...maybe French bodied?
Attachments
6C0FA23F-3F44-4B11-9DD3-465B221C404F.jpeg

Kaiser
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post by Kaiser » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:40 am

Yes the bodies were French built, the American Field Service bought T chassis and had the French coach builder Kellner build body's for them, there's one original left, it's in the AFS museum near Paris in France. all others are replica's or recreations. The AFS donated all their ambulances to local communities in France and Belgium after the war ended to help in the buildup of local emergency services, as a lot of people still got killed or wounded by the huge amounts of unexploded munitions still in the ground everywhere in the former front areas (and there still is 100years later :shock: )

Like Walt Disney and Ernest Hemmingway, a lot of the volunteers in the AFS were members of the "rich and Famous' of the day, they were actively recruited from the better universities for service by the AFS for two reasons, they were generally used to driving cars as most came from families that owned at least one car, and second; they paid their own fare and uniforms etc.

Dpenry
First Name: Dustin
Last Name: Penry
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Model T racer

Post by Dpenry » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:53 am

ford t armd plan 2.jpg
ford_t_admiralty_by_wormwoodthestar_dajubke-fullview.jpg
ford t armd.jpg
This is the RNAS model t, they also were used in the Russian Civil War. Model T's were also used as aircraft starters, ambulances, scout vehicles, and just about every other thing you could think of. They even made a prototype tank using 2 T engines and modified rear axles.

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:48 am

From 1928. Discussion on the Ford related ambulance in Europe WWI..
The Medical Department of the U.S. Army in the World War. Volume 3. By United States. Surgeon-General's Office · 1928 on line.

geezert
First Name: Alan
Last Name: McClure
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 coupe, 1915 touring

Post by geezert » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:30 pm

20160920_214015.jpg

geezert
First Name: Alan
Last Name: McClure
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 coupe, 1915 touring

Post by geezert » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:33 pm

20160920_214015.jpg
Had one it's made in america my great uncle was a supply Sgt in ww1 he had two bodies he bought army surplus tucked under his front porch my dad got them and put one together here are pictures

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:52 pm

Ford built and tested WW 1 era light tanks, consisting of two T motors. I saw one survivor at the Fort Knox KY museum years ago. I don’t recall if any made it to Europe during the war. Click on the link to see testing footage:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0su1d3ad8qskz ... s.MP4?dl=0

B8778192-94FA-40E2-9B3B-14EB1993819A.jpeg

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Looks like 15 were built for testing (Ford 3 ton tank), with one making it to France for testing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_3-Ton_M1918

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:09 pm

Have a look at our own gallery at: https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/app.php/gallery/album/54 as Wayne suggested. Feel free to add something too :-)

John E. Guitar
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by John E. Guitar » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:40 pm

A lot of photos here - 1914 Ford Times Canadian Edition Special War Issue:

https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/upload ... an-WW1.pdf
Last edited by John E. Guitar on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:01 pm

I think some of you old guys are a little rough on him. I loved history in school and I don’t remember any part of the curriculum or the books that would have resulted in me knowing how a model T Ford was used in “The Great War.”
Aside from The Blue Max, there really wasn’t much in the movies or popular culture to reveal their use either. I do remember the television show The Untouchables, which was set in the 1930s and once in awhile you could see a T there, and of course reruns of silent movies.

As a side note, my great grandfather was a Major in the YMCA Ambulance Corp in WW I and my great uncle flew in the same squadron as Eddie Rickenbacker. As a result I had a deeper knowledge of the war than my contemporaries.

Kaiser

Post by Kaiser » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:57 am

Mark Osterman has a valid point here, it depends very much on where you live as a youngster, don't know about the USA but here in Europe there is a lot of difference in history lessons in school depending on the country you're in.
We in the Netherlands were 'Neutral' in the first war, in our schools hardly anything is taught about WW1, WW2 is the main focus.
In France and Belgium "La Grande Guerre" is the First world war and is taught with a vengeance while the Second one gets less attention.
In Germany the Second War gets almost all the attention in history class (with obvious reason)
And in the UK the First war is the big one, with mandatory tours to Belgium and France's battlefields for all schoolchildren, plus they have the famed 'Battle of Britain" of WW2 in their curiculum.

A wise man once said: 'If we do not learn from history, we are apt to repeat it' (very true)

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510

Post by Thorlick » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:19 pm

Dustin,

I have not seen that RNAS armored car before. It seems to have been a real thing used by the British Royal Naval Air Service In Eastern Europe.

I found several period photos on line:

79030138-C3F3-4A71-A867-1F613F05F350.jpeg
BDB01349-A4DB-45D3-9E27-A9D328A49A74.jpeg
9337447C-F228-4406-B78C-87AB4C9262D8.jpeg
034D9E33-CCF6-4CD7-9852-F989FEF468F4.jpeg

I find the construction interesting, especially the wheel and radiator details you can see.

I thought my Omnibus body was heavy, imagine steel plate! How can this heavy car hope to move... under drive gearing? How in the world can a little brass radiator closed in a steel box hope to cool a hard working engine? How can you crank this thing? You can see that they beefed up the rear axle with a truss.

This is so impractical that I must have one!!!

TH
Last edited by Thorlick on Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510

Post by Thorlick » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:25 pm

Rob,

There used to be an engine from (for?) one of those tanks up on the Ponderosa Ranch at Lake Tahoe in Nevada. You might have called it “engines“ as there were two model T engines mated together. If one engine stalls all you can do is drive in circles!

imho, TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:53 pm

A few tank photos.
WWI Tank engine.jpg
WWI Tank.jpg
tank%20WWI%20front.JPG
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

erkbrn
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50994
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by erkbrn » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:04 pm

I agree with Mark. I am far towards the younger side of club members (having finished public high school less than 10 years ago) and this wasn't a subject that was covered in great detail. I enjoyed history and was in the advanced classes; even so, WW1 was covered in only a few lectures (3 hours total maybe). Most of that was spent examining the geopolitical climate and events that led to WW1 and the outcomes it had on the international community and economy, rather than the events or specifics of WW1 itself. If they focused on what everyone was interested in instead of what was necessary to know in order to understand what followed, high school would take 10 years. There was definitely no room in the curriculum for machines or vehicles used during that time (much to my dismay). The world history classes were largely structured as 50% of the year spent examining 3000 BC - 1935 A.D. and the final 50% spent on post WW2. Since the United States didn't enter WW1 until almost the end of the war, it wasn't much of a focus of American History classes either. Long story short, there's no need to be condescending about the state of education in the U.S. just because somebody asked for information about an admittedly difficult to research topic. Despite some setbacks here and there, U.S. education has never been of higher quality than it is now. There's a reason why the U.S. (California in particular) has the majority of the best/most desirable universities in the world. But when history keeps going and the schoolyear doesn't get longer, something has to give. I'm glad other members here can share the knowledge on this topic they have found by pursuing their own interests.

As an aside, a high-quality and easily accessible resource for WW1 history can be found in the youtube channel named "The Great War" (link below). Soon they are gearing up to do WW2 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

RRAC
Last Name: Cowan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 bare chassis

Post by RRAC » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:38 am

Hello,

The last photo in the post above by Perry Kete is actually a M1917 tank. These were essentially an American copy of the French Renault FT but built to imperial measurements, using an American engine and incorporating a few other minor alterations.

Here is a photo showing the three "production" tanks that were made in the USA for WWI: the Ford 3-Ton, the M1917 and the Liberty. The Ford tank was cancelled when the war ended while production of the M1917 and the Liberty were scalled way back.
devel1.JPG
Mark Cowan

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953

Post by ModelT46 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:15 pm

The postings here illustrate the use of Ford items in the "War to End Wars" (WWI) The Ford Company was a significant supplier of products for allied use in WWII. check out previous postings. The Minnesota Twin City plant made airplane (or was it tank) engines, The Michigan plant turned out B25 bombers on an hourly basis. Henry Ford financed the "Peace Ship" in 1914 (15?) that went to Europe. Not much was accomplished.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:54 pm

A guy asks an honest question and a few of you criticize him for not knowing.

You really should reconsider your attitude. That sort of behaviour is not good for anyone, or the hobby.
1924 Touring

Ken Lefeber
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Lefeber
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 31968
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Ken Lefeber » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:35 pm

I agree with Herb, the WW1 museum in Kansas City is the place to go if you want to learn more about WW1.
Here are some pictures of the ambulance he was talking about.
WW1 Ambulance 1.JPG
WW1 Ambulance 2.JPG
WW1 light truck.JPG
WW1 tank.JPG

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:50 pm

I'm a bit of a history nut and read about WW1 as a kid. I saw mention of guys like Hemingway driving ambulances but I don't think anyone bothered to mention that they were Fords. Unless you did the research yourself, I doubt there is a school in the country that bothers to teach anything about how Model T's were used in the war. Most only briefly mention the role of Henry's affordable car to putting the world on wheels and initiating the great changes in the way we live that went along with it.

I'm interested in Military vehicles and had considered "Militarizing" my 1917 Touring but it is hard to find info about the role the T played in WW1. I learned a lot from this thread.

People ask questions because they desire to learn. Learning should be encouraged....
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Mark Gregush
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:08 pm

Very glad to see people helping with this request. :D

To the people chiding what is taught in history class, maybe you should have taken time to post some actual information right from the start of this post instead of putting down the education system in general. :(
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:22 pm

Is that a Model T fender? :shock:
Attachments
WW1 fender.jpg
WW1 fender.jpg (53.23 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:35 pm

geezert wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:33 pm
20160920_214015.jpg
Had one it's made in america my great uncle was a supply Sgt in ww1 he had two bodies he bought army surplus tucked under his front porch my dad got them and put one together here are pictures
Allen,
that is supposed to be a M&P body. The 2nd one is in the Marine Corp museum in VA.

John E. Guitar

Post by John E. Guitar » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:45 pm

Frank, I don't think its a Model T. The thing below the headlamp looks like the front of an elliptic spring.

The car on the right is a Scripps Booth.

This is a photo from 1917 and has the title "A woman from West Virginia who worked for the Red Cross Motor Corps is photographed in Washington, D.C."

http://loc.gov/pictures/resource/hec.09023/

RedCrossMotorCorps.jpg

John E. Guitar

Post by John E. Guitar » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 pm

American_Red_Cross_-_Motor_Car_Service_-_Women's_Motor_Corps_Members_drive_sixteen_ambulances_from_Detroit_to_New_York._One_of_the_sixteen_ambulances_driven_from_Detroit_to_New.jpg

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364

Post by It's Bill » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:16 am

Impressive reply Mr. Brown. When so much media is given over to the destruction of our culture, it's easy to forget that there are many thoughtful younger folks ready to step into our shoes. This forum does a great job of filling in my education about American history in a fun and personal way, and we are lucky to have it and people like Mr. Brown participating! Cheers, Bill

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:44 am

WWI was not the Model T's first military service. When Black Jack Pershing was chasing Pancho Villa around the state of Chihuahua in 1916-17, Model T's were part of the expedition.

Villa chase.jpg
Curtiss-Flying-Jennies-Pursue-Pancho-Villa-Across-Northern-Mexico-2.jpg
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Kaiser

Post by Kaiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:43 am

I read a great book by Glendon Swarthout about the raid on Pancho Villa, it's mostly fiction but a hilarious story and very well written. it's 'The Tin Lizzie Troop' , get it, you'll love it !
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 5204 times

Been Here Before

Post by Been Here Before » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:58 pm

As soon as the Armistice was declared in 1918, and well into 1920, Congress was looking for an accounting of the cost of war. “The Report of Quartermaster General U.S. Army,” provides a report that indicated the army had use for light, medium, and heavy duty automobiles. The Light duty automobiles were Fords, Medium Duty were Dodge both open and closed Cars. The heavy duty cars were the Cadillac limousine and Cadillac touring. The report indicated that the cars procured for overseas use were the same as those manufactured for commercial (civilian) use…with the exception that of upholstering, lighting, and painting. Remember the quote Fords only come in black…the Quartermaster report indicated that all bodies were painted olive drab with the upholstery the same colour. Of all passenger cars ordered up to 11 November 1918, both for overseas service and domestic military use, totaled 37,031. The order secured 17,359 cars, and a canceled a total of 19,672.

Trucks came under Special order No 91, in 1918 from the War Department. Light duty trucks (no mention of a Ford truck) were for carrying ¾ tons of material and for an ambulance vehicle. Medium duty vehicles to serve as a truck were Dodge touring car chassis with light duty delivery bodies. The Ford standard Chassis with a lengthen wheel base were for light duty ambulance service. Both Dodge and Ford were in a position to promptly provide the necessary chassis. The army also mentioned the ability to interchange the bodies. There is also a mention of interchangeably of chassis, thereby making the need for ware housing spar parts. Up to 1 July 1919 both light duty trucks and ambulances a total of 31,820 were ordered, with 16,019 delivered and 15,811 (sic) canceled.

The larger trucks 1 ton known as class “AA”, were supplied by General Motors and White.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:53 pm

Something else concerning Model T's:
It is my understanding that the Warford transmission got it's name because it was used for military vehicles during the first world war.
Norm

Professor Fate
First Name: Dan
Last Name: S
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 and '26

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:44 am

The Ford 3-Ton M1918 was one of the first tank designs by the U.S. It was a small two-man, one-gun tank. It was armed with a M1919 Browning machine gun and could reach a maximum speed of 8 mph (13 km/h). The 3-Ton had a 17-US-gallon (64 l) tank that gave it a maximum range of 34 miles (55 km).

Design on the 3-ton tank started in mid-1917, before which American tank forces had been largely equipped with British or French examples. The 3-Ton was a two-man tank designed so that American forces could use another tank besides the Renault FT in battle, and was designed around the FT but as a cheaper alternative. Its two Ford Model T engines were controlled by the driver, seated at the front with a gunner beside him who had control of a .30-06 (7.62×63mm) machine gun (either a M1917 Marlin machine gun or M1919 Browning machine gun) on a limited-traverse mount with approximately 550 rounds of ammunition.

The initial production run of the 3-ton was of fifteen vehicles; one of these was sent to France for testing. A contract for 15,000 of these vehicles was awarded; however, the U.S tank corps felt it did not meet the requirements they wanted. The contract for the 15,000 tanks was ended by the Armistice, leaving only the fifteen original vehicles produced.

The French Army evaluated the Ford 3-Ton tank and thought it inferior to the native Renault FT. However, the 3-Ton Tank was seen to have potential as a cheap, light, all-terrain artillery tractor especially for batteries of the Canon de 75 modèle 1897. One thousand five hundred 3-Ton tanks were ordered from Ford but the Armistice intervened before any were delivered and the order was cancelled.

Survivors
There are two known survivors; one is at the U.S. Army Armor & Cavalry Collection at Fort Benning, Georgia; the second is with the Ordnance Collection at Fort Lee, Virginia.
Ford 3-Ton
M1918-ford-3-ton-tank.jpg
Type
Tankette
Place of origin
United States
Specifications
Mass
3 tons
Length
14 ft (4.3 m)
Width
6 ft (1.8 m)
Height
6 ft (1.8 m)
Crew
2 (Driver and gunner)
Main
armament
.30 calibre (7.62 mm) Browning M1917 Marlin machine gun or M1919 Browning machine gun
Secondary
armament
none
Engine
Two Ford Model T engines
45 hp (34 kW)
Power/weight
10.4 hp/t
Operational
range
55 km (34 mi)
Maximum speed
12.8 km/h (8 mph
Cc:Wikipedia
Last edited by Professor Fate on Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Fate
First Name: Dan
Last Name: S
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 and '26

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:51 am

Ford_Three-ton.jpg
unnamed (341).jpg
unnamed (341).jpg (48.93 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (56.23 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
YbXwQwZez2eE1j-JhqTU_rnqeWTiYeUvY4SZdFJ34sE.jpg
71871.jpg
Ford_Three-ton.jpg
VIDEO:
https://youtu.be/pF3nnBJh7J4
https://youtu.be/0M1Pdtpjoro
https://youtu.be/xgqmZFdxaQY
PREVIOUS FORUM THREAD:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/71810.html

ModelTSpeedster
First Name: Randy
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Speedster, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Roadster, 1926 TT, 1923 boattail (project)
MTFCA Number: 7352

Post by ModelTSpeedster » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:23 am

Here is an example of one of the Dodge touring cars used in WWI. My grandfather was serving as an aide to the chief medical officer at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas during the war. He took this snapshot of one of his buddies in the motor pool.
As you can see, it has a very unusual top, similar to what has been referred to as a California top.
Attachments
WWI - Dodge at Fort Sam Houston - San Antonio, Texas.png

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:02 pm

Now that’s a first. Is that one Carburator shared between the 2 engines?

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:44 pm

Walt Disney was never an official ambulance driver...

Because he hadn’t left the U.S. until after the war ended, Disney never fulfilled his desire to be an official ambulance driver. He never experienced the atrocities and dangers that most ambulance drivers faced, but he did his duty and put in his fair share of driving.

Disney was first billeted in a chateau in St. Cyr. Later, he transferred to Evacuation Hospital Number 5 near Paris, where his duties included being a driver and mechanic for Red Cross supply trucks and providing taxi service for army officers.

He also served at a Red Cross canteen at Neufchateau in the French countryside. His duties included driving Alice Howell, a Red Cross canteen worker, to various base hospitals to deliver doughnuts and ice cream to patients. The two became friends and a few years later when one of Howell’s colleagues was visiting the Disney studios, he asked about her and renewed their acquaintance by sending her a Mickey Mouse doll the following Christmas.

The photo of him standing by an ambulance was taken because he drew the artwork on it. It wasn't HIS ambulance.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:23 pm

The larger trucks 1 ton known as class “AA”, were supplied by General Motors and White.

...and Packard.

packard-truck.jpg
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Been Here Before

Post by Been Here Before » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:05 pm

If this information is correct, the war was over before the "Liberty Trucks" or Class-B Standardized Military Truck saw battle. The following are number of Packards produced in total prior to the signing of the Armistice of 11 November 1918: Packard 5, Another report states that the ambulance corp had 25 heavy trucks in service.

https://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdoc ... pter6.html

Packard trucks were used for a military post war road trip.

https://libertytruck.org/

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:07 pm

Seeing how the thread has drifted a little, I will add some more, several truck manufactures built and supplied the US army and National Guard for the 1916 Mexican conflict. Jeffery, White, Packard are some and Mack who supplied 2 ton armored trucks.

Chuck Regan
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Regan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 50122
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chuck Regan » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:01 pm

Model T of the 26th “Yankee” Division - broken down in Seichprey, Toul Sector on April 20, 1918. Bad timing for a breakdown - Germans raided Toul Sector on April 20-21. Yankee Division was heavily engaged.
Attachments
6F51EDE4-7DD0-49E9-A73F-C63F1C114FEF.jpeg

John E. Guitar

Post by John E. Guitar » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:13 pm

The Riker truck was also used in the First World War.
Attachments
Riker Truck 1.jpg
Riker Truck 2.jpeg
Locomobile.jpg
Riker Truck 4.jpg
Locomobile Mk8 Tank.jpg

John E. Guitar

Post by John E. Guitar » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:17 pm

Riker Truck3.jpg

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:26 am

This is from America's Munitions 1917-1918 Report (published by the War Department in 1919), page 502, 503 and 505. Ford is a little past halfway down the list in the first image, at the bottom in the second image and then at the top and bottom of the third image (light delivery and ambulance, passenger cars were classified as light delivery in the report). the report lists the numbers ordered prior to November 1st 1918, number completed prior to November 1st 1918 and number "floated" overseas.

fordww1.jpg
fordww12_2.jpg
fordww13.jpg
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:47 pm

Doubtless some of that equipment wound up on the bottom of the Atlantic.

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:24 pm

TXGOAT2 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:47 pm
Doubtless some of that equipment wound up on the bottom of the Atlantic.

I cannot get a good scan of the list of lost vehicles as it is kind of small. The report also covers vehicles and equipment “lost at sea” on the way to France. The report does not go into depth or differentiate as to whether they were lost by accident (broken free or washed overboard) or by enemy action. Here is a transcript of the text:

Motor Cars
Ford 9
Dodge 231
Cadillac 21
Miscellaneous 12

Ambulances
Ford 30
GMC 74

Light Repair Trucks
Dodge 89

Trucks, Class AA
White16

Trucks, Class A
Pierce Arrow 10

Trucks, Class B
Packard 27
Riker 75
Pierce Arrow 37
Mack 6
Miscellaneous 15

Four-Wheel Drive
Nash Quad 59
FWD 27

Motorcycles
Harley-Davidson 62
Indian 88
Sidecars 436

Trailers
All Types 308
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Kaiser

Post by Kaiser » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:53 pm

It still amazes me every time what this forums members dig up on any subject, can you imagine that list of 'cars lost at sea' .. who'd have thought someone would come up with that :o
Keep it comin boys and girls, i love it !!

George House
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115

Post by George House » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:37 pm

During my time in the army we had a hard time keeping up with PLL (prescribed load list) of spare parts. Can’t imagine the greater difficulties with way over a dozen makes of trucks.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic