Accidental aging of new wiring harness.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Accidental aging of new wiring harness.

Post by Chris Haynes » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:05 pm

I bought a new wiring harness for my rusty old '20. Needless to say is stood out loudly compared to the overall rust brown color of everything on the car. When removing the engine I hung it on the fence. Forgetting about it, it sat outside in the weather for a few months of rain and sun. Now it is a perfect match for the weathered old car. :-)

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Accidental aging of new wiring harness.

Post by Allan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:21 pm

Chris, it doesn't take long in the car either, except for the shiny solder on the terminals. The dust/oil fumes have aged the new wiring on Henrietta nicely in the 3 years since I fitted the looms. Having the original aluminium Ford tags makes them look even more like the originals from which the tags were removed. Your weathering will no doubt have faded the sharp, black colour of the loom cover.

Allan from down under.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Re: Accidental aging of new wiring harness.

Post by HPetrino » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Chris,

Over the years there have been a few discussions on this forum about how to achieve the desired patina on new body parts. I believe you have found the correct answer. Wait. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic