New cutout

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TrashMan
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Griffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Tudor Sedan
MTFCA Number: 31570
Board Member Since: 2020

New cutout

Post by TrashMan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:51 pm

I got a new cutout today, the diode type. There was a warning label that said I needed to turn my generator down to 5 watts. How do I do that?

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: New cutout

Post by Humblej » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:11 pm

6 amps? You control the generator output by moving the third brush. Ford Service Manual covers this.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: New cutout

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:29 am

The warning is to limit it to 5 amps not 5 watts. 5 amps will give you 30watts of power (5amps*6volts). The T generator is capable of more (20 amps and it will burn out) but the higher you go the more stress is on the generator.
The 5 amp recommendation is based on the fact that's about all you need, since the generator is charging your battery n and your battery is really what is powering the lights and coils (assume not running on magneto). Also the more engine rpms increase the output and you only need about 7.2 volts output to charge the battery - since the output voltage isn't regulated by the diode cutout 5amps is a good safe limit.

This link will explain how but it may not be necessary you should first determine what the generator is producing and if its reasonable.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1370168631
The FunProjects instructions for the diode cutout are no longer available on their site
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic