Clutch release ring wear.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Clutch release ring wear.

Post by tom_strickling » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:00 pm

How much side to side movement is acceptable for the bronze clutch release ring (T-3400) ?? Horseshoe shaped.

I am talking about in and out of the side of the hogshead. Thanks
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Clutch release ring wear.

Post by Allan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Tom, I've never known it to matter. The shaft the clutch fork works in is connected to the arm that connects to the clutch pedal. The adjusting bolt on that arm, which rides on the cam on the handbrake cross shaft, often makes its own groove in the cam surface. That is somewhat random, and it is the only thing that governs side play in the bronze fork. I doubt any ever run exactly on centre.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:34 pm

As time goes by, the ring wears and the slop increases. I checked 3 vehicles. 2 were at about 3/16" of movement but 1 was at 3/8" seems like alot. The bolt on the emergency brake cam is centered but the bolt will slide side to side using most of the surface of the cam.
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by ModelT46 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:56 pm

I have NOS bronze - original Ford stock. $25 postpaid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic