Running Board Support

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Vincent H
First Name: Vincent
Last Name: Hoebeke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Roadster

Running Board Support

Post by Vincent H » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi everyone,
I was looking through the Macs auto parts catalog and I found this running board support bracket (picture is attached).
I was wondering, is this an original or aftermarket part? Does anyone else use them on their cars?
Any insight is much appreciated.
Attachments
20201025_154505.jpg

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Running Board Support

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:19 pm

After market. They fit up tight under the running board from adjustable brackets that hang from the chassis and do help to keep the running boards from sagging, especially under the weight of heavy passengers. There was a pair of them on my all original 1926 T coupe when I bought it, but were so rusted, I did not use them. I wish now that I had kept, restored and used them, just to have the original after-market accessory, for, even how, at 230 lbs., I am a little paranoid to step on my running boards to access the car for fear of causing them to sag, but at 6’-3” I am fortunate enough to be able to enter the car without having to step on the running board. Jim Patrick.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:34 pm

Lang's has them for ten bucks less, but it looks like they're just square tubing. I would buy ten feet of 1" for under $20 and drill my own holes.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:48 pm

If they were uchannel accessories for the T’s that had the u frame running board brackets it seems to me that the way the originals were installed and had the strap that attached to the top of the frame the original set up would carry a good amount of weight. I have several frames in my T parts pile and none of those have any bent up or folded down running board brackets but since Jiminbartow had them on his 26 there must have been some issues with the originals being sprung in some way. Anything is possible I guess.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic