Magnets Vs. Slingers

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dave Loving
First Name: David
Last Name: Loving
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Touring; 1911 Torpedo; 1923 Roadster

Magnets Vs. Slingers

Post by Dave Loving » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:33 pm

I'm rebuilding my 1915 CenterDoor engine. It currently has a distributer and slingers. It also has a Warford, High Compression head,
& Model A Carb.
I know Distributers and Mags don't go together, but is there an advantage to having either magnets or slingers?
Your humble opinions are desired.

Dave

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Re: Magnets Vs. Slingers

Post by JohnH » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:39 pm

Having seen what happens when magnets break, I use slingers. There's also less weight on the 3rd bearing. One thing I did notice was the lighter flywheel made doing hill starts different but it didn't take long to get used to it. However, the slinger design is important since some types will break off. Also, the bolts securing them must lock tightly. Mine have been in the car for 11 years with no problems.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:00 pm

It's your choice. If you do not plan to ever use a magneto, the slingers should do just fine for distributing the oil. It will also allow you to run the engine at higher RPM without the danger of slinging a magnet. However, If you carefully inspect the magnets and use new brass screws and set them to the proper level from the flywheel, it is unlikely you will break one. If you use magnets without a magneto coil, the magneto will not work anyway, and you would have to pull the engine and transmission to install one in the future. So the choice is this: if you don't plan to install a magneto now or in the future, leave it as it is. If you want to use a magneto in the future, install the coils and magnets now, then you won't need to pull the engine again.
Some people like the originality of the magneto and coil type ignition system. But since you use a high performance head and Model A manifold and carburetor, you don't have originality anymore anyway.
Some people like to tinker with modifications which either increase power or speed. In that is what you want, then the slingers are fine.
Just a word of caution, the rest of the drivetrain is made to handle the original power of the engine, and if you increase it too much you run the danger of breakdown of the rear axle parts.
Norm

Art Wilson
First Name: Art
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring

Post by Art Wilson » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Hi Dave,
Looks like you are having fun.
Our car does not have any magnets or slingers on the flywheel to splash oil. Only the bolt heads that attach the starter ring gear. I do have and recommend the accessory oil supply that attaches to the left side of the hogshead and feeds oil to the front of the engine.
Our engine has a stroked Scat crank and a Z high compression head. The rest of the engine is stock with an NH Holley carburetor and a New Day timer.
I've had no troubles with the car other than that the brass always seems to need to be polished.

Give Nancy our regards.
Art (and Gail)

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:23 am

Slingers usually break, regularly too leaving bits of metal around the trans. At least when they break it is rarely 'catastrophic' and they have little weight so you probably won't notice them gone.

Magnets tend to break if not checked first (for cracks) and not installed properly.

blgitn
First Name: Roger
Last Name: Harmon
MTFCA Number: 16412
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by blgitn » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Am I setting myself up for failure here? Do the brass screws fail without the magnets?

R/Roger.
Attachments
PXL_20201016_201227961.jpg
PXL_20201016_214848569.jpg

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:40 pm

"Am I setting myself up for failure here?" I am going to say yes. There is a LOT of centrifugal force being applied esp when you add the oil to the mix. Even just having the teeth on the ring gear moves a lot of oil around.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:57 pm

I would say "yes".

Are the screws new? Don't use old ones which will be work hardened (brittle) and prone to break.

Having them sit out like that will flex them, which will make them brittle which will break them. There is a LOT of force when they spin around and smack into the oil.

Slingers (as much as I don't like them) would be a better solution.

Maybe fold up your own slingers using heavier gauge steel plate?

Cheers, Adrian

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:20 pm

I'm using spools on my speedster, only one per screw. They move a lot of oil.
100_7343.JPG

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:59 pm

These are the only slingers I install - manufactured by a well respected T guy !!!
Attachments
oil paddles.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic