Battery relocation

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TheSaintDiscJockey
First Name: Brooks
Last Name: Schlieben
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 TT
MTFCA Number: 32304
Board Member Since: 2015

Battery relocation

Post by TheSaintDiscJockey » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:41 am

I would love to bring my battery indoors in that that the T sits under a carport. Cold weather becomes an issue. With the current cables, are there extenders I could use, so that I could move the battery to the turtledeck area? I guess I could buy longer cables, but the ones I have now are correct and want to keep it original. Pulling it out the holder is a task in and of itself, and would like to be able to remove the battery quickly. Thanking you in advance for any thoughts!

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Re: Battery relocation

Post by D Stroud » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:48 am

Brooks, I use a battery maintainer on our '25 coupe. It lives in the unheated garage all winter. Works for me. :) Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:37 pm

I second what David said. Our one starter car is presently residing in a shop/barn that is right now, 2F. I go out once a week and plug in the cheap battery maintainer and within 30 minutes, it shows the battery to be fully charged. The last few years I'd just let it sit for 5 months and it would still start. Battery is now 5 years old and last summer was too pooped after 5 months sitting to crank...hand cranked it up and generator replenished battery. Now, with the maintainer on this winter, I expect the car will start just fine in spring. I tested it last week and it turned the motor over just fine at 10F.

Bottom line, buy a maintainer and run an extension cord to it...like I mentioned, mine only takes 1/2 hour every week or so to keep things up to snuff.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:40 pm

One of my cars sits all winter in the garage of our summer house where the temperature inside has gotten as low as 15 below zero. I keep a "smart" battery maintainer on it all winter and have never had a problem. I just bought a new battery last year and the old one was 7 years old.

Topic author
TheSaintDiscJockey
First Name: Brooks
Last Name: Schlieben
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 TT
MTFCA Number: 32304
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by TheSaintDiscJockey » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:42 pm

Many thanks, guys.
I will do just that!

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:46 pm

At the local auto parts store you can buy a strap with two ends which fit over the terminals and when you pull up on the strap they tighten around the posts. With this tool you can pull the battery right up and out of the box. Wherever you locate the battery, it should be firmly attached so that it won't roll over as you drive the car. And if you pull the battery, you can bring it indoors to keep it warm. But it still should be kept in a fully charged state but not overcharged to last a long time.
Norm

davidheavner
First Name: David
Last Name: Heavner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 ruabout
MTFCA Number: 31779

Post by davidheavner » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:52 pm

I keep a battery maintainer on my '20. My car sits in an unheated garage. I didn't know about the tool to pull the battery so I made a wooden holder the battery sits on and pull it out with para cord. My original battery bracket had rusted out and been repaired, so it was easy to make a holder to put in the original bracket for it to sit on. I will check out the battery puller the next time I'm in a parts store.

Aarongriffey
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Griffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring

Post by Aarongriffey » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:41 pm

Do you really think moving the battery to the truck will keep it warmer than in the battery box?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:01 am

Because of today battery construction, we should not be using the post to lift the battery up. Yes I do it too, but if you do some checking there has been information put out there that says not to. The cases are not as thick and strong as they use to be. I don't think the clamp type will fit thru the door anyway so we really don't have a lot of choice other then to try and reach down and lift up or use the post type lifters.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:43 am

I find it easiest to disconnect the battery then climb underneath and push it up and over to the side, then I can dust pick it out of the trunk. Jim
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:16 pm

For removing a battery from the box, plan ahead. Install it with a strap around it to use as a handle when you have to lift out.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic