Pictures from a recent trip to Fort William Scotland

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
norrie_model_t
First Name: norrie
Last Name: mavre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Ford Model T Sedan
MTFCA Number: 31587

Pictures from a recent trip to Fort William Scotland

Post by norrie_model_t » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:46 pm

20201013_092935.jpg
20201014_135445.jpg
20201014_135445.jpg
20201013_102334.jpg
IMG-20201014-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20201014-WA0015.jpg

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Pictures from a recent trip to Fort William Scotland

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:38 pm

Nice photos and some wonderful country. Thank you for sharing with us.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:32 am

Nice pics and a beautiful area!
I can tell that the cat is wanting to know when the catered meal is to arrive. He also wishes to remind you of the obligatory cat massage due directly after the meal.
In case you were wondering.

Topic author
norrie_model_t

Post by norrie_model_t » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:34 pm

OilyBill you are a mind reader how did you know that's what my cat was thinking :lol: :lol:

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:19 pm

Wonderful scenery Norrie!
What's the story of the model T "sculpture"? :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:03 am

Here is t he FULL STORY behind the bronze statue. It includes pictures and unfortunately the video has been restricted by the BFI, British Film Institute, for viewing. The Story starts with the challenge show pictures of the attempt and the making of the Bronze https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-hi ... s-44003271
"In May 1911 a Ford Model T car was driven to the summit of Ben Nevis. The feat drew a large crowd to Fort William - and there are hopes that a new statue will help bring more visitors to the town. The idea of driving a Model T to the top of Britain's highest mountain was the brainchild of Henry Alexander, a motor dealer in Edinburgh. The Model T had rolled off a production line in the US for the first time three years earlier, and Alexander wanted to mount a publicity stunt to demonstrate that the imported, mass produced American cars were superior to hand-crafted British ones." :o
This link is about the dedication https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-hi ... s-44195835
nevis.png
bronze t.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
norrie_model_t

Post by norrie_model_t » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:51 pm

In 1911 a Ford Model T car was driven up the tallest peak in the UK in a daring publicity stunt by Henry Alexander, Scotland’s first dealer of the American car company Ford.

In a bid to assure customers the Ford brand was of higher superiority to hand-crafted British cars, Mr Alexander ordered his son, Henry Alexander Jr, to drive a Model T from the foot of Ben Nevis to the peak.

Now a bronze statue to remember the feat has been placed in Cameron Square in Fort William.

In 2011 a Ford Model T was dismantled into 77 pieces and carried to the peak of Ben Nevis by a group of 60 devoted volunteers, tackling some of the most gruelling weather Lochaber has to offer.

Commemorating 100 years since Mr Alexander Jr’s feat, the Model T, minus the engine, was reassembled at the top of Ben Nevis for a photo opportunity, before being disassembled and returned to the base of the mountain, with four volunteers required to carry the chassis alone.

A total of £55,000 was raised from the challenge and the money was used to buy the statue which was unveiled on Saturday. Commissioned by the Powderhall Foundry in Edinburgh, the statue weighs a whopping three tonnes and depicts Mr Alexander Jr behind the wheel of a Ford Model T.

Chris Robinson, chairman of the Fort William Ford Model T project, said: “I am very satisfied, even a bit emotional. The quality of the statue from Powderhall – who are a great team – is fantastic.

“A great day was had by all and it really is a great gift to the town. The general consensus from everybody has been that it is a stunning sculpture and the level of detail is quite remarkable.”

The only surviving grandson of Mr Alexander Jr, Mike Munro, was on hand to unveil the statue in Cameron Square.

A new bronze trail was also launched over the weekend, showcasing Lochaber’s beautiful bronze statues. The model aluminium worker in Inverlochy and the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge are also included in the route, aimed at encouraging more people to learn and explore the culture and heritage Lochaber has to offer.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:02 am

Love the story and the statue is fabulous!! They should have put a drip pan under it to protect the brick surface HAHA :lol: Thank you!!
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:47 am

Thanks for posting - we lived in Scotland for many years back in the 70s and early 80s. There were a only a couple of Ts around at the time but good friend Mike Povey acquired a 17 and later his 1912 and by the time we came back to the US the Ts seemed to be coming out in greater numbers. Our show in Scotland at Glamis Castle drew a few of them, and I think Mike has made every one of them with his T. Of course we were very familar with the Ben Vevis climb, and I've always wanted to get a spark plug for my collection from Alexander Ford. They had some made with their name on them and one is in the Myerton Motor Museum. We had planned to go back for our 50th wedding anniversary this year but the virus put the stop on those plans pretty quickly. We're long overdue for a return visit and once things loosen up a bit, we will begin planning another visit. The Ft. William bronze T will certainly be a grand photo-op for us, as well as taking in a car show if we can time things just right. Of course we have to include the Beaulieu Autojumble, and maybe the start of the London-to-Brighton. I'd love to rummage through some of the old London antique markets again too. Guess when we get back, we'll probably be there for a whole year!
Terry

Topic author
norrie_model_t

Post by norrie_model_t » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:09 pm

Terry it sounds like you have a very busy schedule when you come over the pond maybe have to take 3 years off.
20201013_095527.jpg
Attachments
The cat was exhausted after being in the Model T
The cat was exhausted after being in the Model T
20201013_134937.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic