Vacuum Tank ..... What's Missing?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
schwabd1
First Name: David
Last Name: Schwab

Vacuum Tank ..... What's Missing?

Post by schwabd1 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:39 pm

download/file.php?mode=view&id=71964

A guy in our "T" club just picked up a 1931 Essex (thus, the tie in to the "T"), I also have a '31 Essex that's been sitting in the back of my building for "some day". He got my interest going on the thing and thought I'd start out figuring what my vacuum tank is missing. I don't know the manufacturer, but there is no place for the usual mechanism the Stewart tanks have to be mounted. Anyone recognize this tank and know what is needed to get this going? Looks like I need the inner tank also.

Topic author
schwabd1

Re: Vacuun Tank..... What's Missing?

Post by schwabd1 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:46 pm

download/file.php?mode=view&id=71969

Here's a pic of what's under the lid.
Attachments
IMG_1257.jpg

Topic author
schwabd1

Post by schwabd1 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:53 pm

Attachments
IMG_1256.jpg

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:40 pm

While nether of my books cover specific pumps used, the Motor's Handbook of Specifications Interchangeable Parts Service Instructions that covers 1925 to 1933 shows that pump. It is a Stewart-Warner Leverless Vacuum Tank.
When float is down, float stem holds valve to intake manifold open and air valve to supply chamber closed so that suction from intake manifold reduces pressure in vacuum chamber and closes flapper valve thus drawing fuel from the rear supply tank. When vacuum chamber fills, the float rises and the float stem closes valve to intake manifold and opens air valve to supply chamber, giving atmospheric pressure to vacuum chamber. Fuel then flows through flapper valve until float again sinks. When carburetor float valve is closed, vacuum tank float remains up and no fuel is drawn into the tank. Shut-off valve at bottom of tank closes when the filter bowl is removed.
If my scanner was working I would post a photo. I will try later with camera if no one else post one.
https://forum.hetclub.org/discussion/10 ... m-canister
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
schwabd1

Post by schwabd1 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:45 am

Thanks for the info Mark. Does it have the inner tank? I tried to find info online for the leverless system after your post, but couldn't come up with anything. It would be great if you could post a pic.

Gordon C
First Name: Gordon
Last Name: Clayton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 TT
MTFCA Number: 49977

Post by Gordon C » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:42 am

Ohhhh memories ! I had a 28 Essex coupe, purchased in 1955 for $10. I had a number of people work on the vacuum tank and could never get it to work. It would work for a while and then put, put put. It would stop working. An old local mechanic finally put an electric fuel pump on it. I still loved that old Essex though. Good luck ! Hope you get it to work.
Gordon Clayton gclaytonsr@yahoo.com

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Vacuum Tank ..... What's Missing?

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:45 pm

Yes there is an inner tank. A good working vacuum pump should work fine, but I would suggest getting one that is a little more serviceable. That one looks to be a sealed unit which back in the day might have been ok. If not a Stewart, more common type, electric fuel pump with a regulator would be my next choice. Hope these photos of the diagram work ok for viewing. If too small just hold down the Ctrl key and click the + key to enlarge. (hold down the Ctrl and click the 0 key to return to normal size, not the O'h key)
Attachments
DSCN0801.JPG
DSCN0800.JPG
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:05 am

While this is really "off topic" - before it can be moved I can help make it "on topic" :-)

I am rebuilding a New Zealand locally made roadster at the moment (slowly I might add) known as a "Colonial Roadster". A common feature of these roadsters is the use of a vacuum tank for fuel delivery. The fuel tanks are usually moved further to the rear so the seats can be lowered by 3 - 4 inches, and as we have lots of steep hills, getting fuel up front could be a problem.

I am planning on fitting a Stewart tank to my car, but I think I may install a 6v low pressure fuel pump inside the vacuum tank or in line to supply the tank as I am not sure that the the work making the many gaskets and joints to seal and then to stay sealed would result in a reliable pump, especially given the car is not used daily.
Toll Gate 1920s.jpg
Waimak Car 12.jpg
P1318562.JPG

Topic author
schwabd1

Post by schwabd1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:26 am

Thanks for the diagram Mark..... that explains a bunch. Not the usual vacuum tank set up. I appreciate the help.

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:20 am

Early Rolls Royces had a similar setup to get fuel from the gas tank (which was down low behind the rear axle) all the way to the front where the carb was above the level of the top of the fueltank, they called it the 'Autovac'.
Attachments
image.png
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic