Door Hinge Mount Loose

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
SurveyKing
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Snell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1924 Touring, 1925 Roadster Pickup, 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31662
MTFCI Number: 23677
Board Member Since: 2014

Door Hinge Mount Loose

Post by SurveyKing » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:32 pm

I have a situation where the holes have slightly wallowed out on the door hinge screws. Is there a product that can be applied to create a good tight bond in the holes?
Screw holes in wood don't allow good hold.

Steve Hughes
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Hughes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1921 Centerdoor
MTFCA Number: 216
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23070

Re: Door Hinge Mount Loose

Post by Steve Hughes » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Drill out the holes for short lengths of dowel. Use a good wood glue. For the best hold I would use a hardwood dowel. Use a self centering drill bit to predrill the holes for the screws.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:45 pm

I am not stating that this is original, however it was a very long time ago that it was done: on my '23 roadster, when I rewooded it, I found the very top and very bottom screws going into the door pillar were slotted, flat-head machine screws, somewhere around 2" long, or so. The nuts were square. There was a washer, but no lock washer. The remaining screws were, I believe, #12 wood screws. Prior to disassembly, you could not tell the machine screws from the wood screws.

Just throwing that out there.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:14 pm

ALSO: Epoxy putty in the hole, then put the screw in before the putty sets up OR a wooden match and some wood glue, drive the screw while the glue is still wet.
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

Ken Buhler
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Buhler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49471
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ken Buhler » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:40 am

Daniel, I have been in the moving business for 30 years and have learned many things that apply to seemingly everything from furniture to relationship issues. When dealing with loose dresser mirror mount screws I found a fix. Toothpicks are made of hardwood and if you use round ones, first you break it in three and insert the stub center followed by more if the hole is fairly big. Then you use the pointed thirds driving them in like wooden nails until you have a tight fit. You can use yellow carpenters glue in this process if you wish. Then when you install the original screw you win!
Work honestly
Stay true to your word
Get the job done right

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:23 pm

My 21 Touring’s wood was pretty much gone other than the wood remains around the doors when I started to restore it. It had been outside for at least 30 years.
When removing the doors I did discover that the hinges had machine screws all the way through at the top of the hinge into the body pillars.
I assumed that it was done that way from the factory or way back when in the past.
The screw heads matched the wood screw heads so they all looked alike.
The square nuts were the older style that are a little bigger than what is mostly available today.
So maybe Ford did it at the factory? Don’t know for sure.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:44 pm

John, between you and me, there might be the start of a trend...
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Talking about lose door hinges brings up another issue for me. I have to continue to remind friends that enter or leave my cars that the door is not meant to be used as a support. I have seen people with significant weight use the door to steady themselves and cause undue strain on the door hinges and the screws into the wood framing. Just a bug of mine!!!!!!

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:16 am

This is one place where I am comfortable departing from original. The top and bottom screws I replace with slot head machine screws with the same size head as the intermediate screws. However, rather than original square nuts, I use T nuts. These allow re-tensioning of the machine screws without the risk of the nut turning. Removing the trim panel just to get a spanner on the nut is not my idea of fun.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
SurveyKing
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1924 Touring, 1925 Roadster Pickup, 1921 Touring

Post by SurveyKing » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the suggestion. This might be interpreted as a dumb question, but what is a T Nut?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:15 am

Daniel, T nuts are used to in effect put a thread in a hole in wood. Think of a top hat with no top. The inside of the sides are threaded. The brim of the hat is a flange on the nut. This has four spikes cut and bent down along the sides of the threaded section. These are pulled into the wood to stop the nut from turning as the bolt is tensioned. They can be driven in prior to inserting the bolt, or the bolt can be used to draw the nut into the timber.
They are commonly used in furniture assembly.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
SurveyKing

Post by SurveyKing » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:09 am

Thank You Allan! Now I know what you are referring to and they would be a great idea.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic