Am i missing front 4th main bearing cap ?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
JohnnyBuick
First Name: johnny
Last Name: Buick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912-13's
Board Member Since: 2004

Am i missing front 4th main bearing cap ?

Post by JohnnyBuick » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:06 am

Am i missing a 4th main bearing cap that inserts on clutch spring side of 4th main in pic below ? If so ..anyone got one to sell?
20201122_183023.jpg
...An idle mind is the Devils workshop :twisted:

Aussie16
First Name: Warwick
Last Name: Landy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 LHD USA Touring 1916 RHD Canadian Touring 1916 Pickup

Re: Am i missing front 4th main bearing cap ?

Post by Aussie16 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:15 am

Yes you are missing that part. They are available from the vendors but my experience suggests you should have one re-metalled and machine to specs to get the correct actor clearance around the transmission shaft. Sen me a pm and I might be able to help.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:53 am

John.
Something else is a miss in that photo. That drive plate should be back further, the end about inline with the back of those 2 bolt holes in the pan, uni joint should be about 3/4 of the way in it with the position you have that drive shaft sitting.

Topic author
JohnnyBuick
First Name: johnny
Last Name: Buick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912-13's
Board Member Since: 2004

Post by JohnnyBuick » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:26 am

Thanks for the replies.. the drive plate etc is loose fitting atm and clutch spring shown in pic is attached to an old trans im replacing but i will need that 4th main cap which attaches to the trans case end .. just wondering what size over it would need to be..the vendors sell different sizes .. how does one work out the size required ? Do i Measure the circumfrence of the collar it slides over where the clutch spring ends ??
...An idle mind is the Devils workshop :twisted:

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:54 am

Some may not know that the early driven plates had a different spring locking retainer, with that they take a shorter fourth main, I have came across this a couple times, just in case you are ordering one some one that way they send you the correct style.

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:51 pm

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:03 pm

I don’t know if this is a consideration, but when I bought a roller bearing fourth bearing to replace the original babbited one, the directions advised for me to cut off about 3/8” of the ball in order for it to mate with the cavity of the new bearing. I thought about it and decided I didn’t like that idea so I took out my drive plate and sent it with the original babbited bearing to a machine shop and have the fourth bearing rebabbited and the drive plate shaft machined to fit it. I think I made the right choice. I sold the roller bearing fourth on eBay. Is it possible that your shaft ball was cut off for a roller bearing fourth? Jim Patrick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic