best way to straighten a top bow

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Thomas
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Thomas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring 29 Model A PU, 30 Model A sedan
MTFCA Number: 50405

best way to straighten a top bow

Post by Steve Thomas » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Noticed the main bow for the top on my '27 touring is bent at the joint following the final tour of the year. The car had sat for several years before I took position last year. So the joints are very stiff and difficult to move
My thought are to take a piece of angle clamp it to the bow and then use another to pull the bow to the angle. Better ideas? How can you limber up the joints so that they move easily other than use?
large bow.jpg
bow 2.jpg
Attachments
bow 3.jpg

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: best way to straighten a top bow

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:15 pm

A little WD 40 sprayed on the joints every day until you can move it. Spray and try to move gently and move back and forth. When you finally get it to move freely, use a few drops of light oil from time to time Try to get it into the joint and wipe off the excess.
As for bending the bow, good luck. They are very old and tend to rust out from the inside, so might be thin and weak. On a 27 there should be a small bend about 4 inches from the end which bolts to the body. Try to get it to match the other side or look at another car to see how it should be.
Norm

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:27 pm

I had an iron worse than that, not just bent but broken. An old body man welded it up for me and made it look like new, but it was weak and eventually broke again. I finally replaced it with a new piece.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

1923Touring
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Hawkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCI Number: 24919
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by 1923Touring » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:45 pm

Mine was not as bad as yours. If you do try to straighten it, you will need to over shoot, as it always bends back a little. (see the shims in my photo).
-Joshua
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 4.43.53 PM.png

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:46 pm

Soak it for several days in order to make it flexible. Then force some yellow wood glue into the joint and while keeping it it wet, use clamps to bend it straight. When it’s straight, clamp the glued joint tightly and allow piece to dry. When it dries, it will stay straight and the glued joint will keep it straight. Do not glue it until it is straight or it will maintain the bend at the point at which the glue joins the two halves. Jim Patrick

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:01 pm

jiminbartow wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:46 pm
Soak it for several days in order to make it flexible. Then force some yellow wood glue into the joint and while keeping it it wet, use clamps to bend it straight. When it’s straight, clamp the glued joint tightly and allow piece to dry. When it dries, it will stay straight and the glued joint will keep it straight. Do not glue it until it is straight or it will maintain the bend at the point at which the glue joins the two halves. Jim Patrick
Jim,

This is a steel top iron/bow. What is soaking and wood glue going to do for this?

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:06 pm

Steve Thomas wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:28 pm
Noticed the main bow for the top on my '27 touring is bent at the joint following the final tour of the year. The car had sat for several years before I took position last year. So the joints are very stiff and difficult to move
My thought are to take a piece of angle clamp it to the bow and then use another to pull the bow to the angle. Better ideas? How can you limber up the joints so that they move easily other than use?large bow.jpgbow 2.jpg

Hard to believe the joint could be stiff enough to do that. Is it possible that the car was placed in an enclosed trailer, with the top up? I've seen damage like that when the car is left with the top up and the trailer has gone over some rough road. The car can bounce up and down more than one might expect. That bow forms the tallest part of the top. Striking the top of the trailer would be a great way to make that kind of damage.

Your straightening suggestion is what I would do. Consider adding some heat as well, to prevent cracking the bow.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:33 pm

LOL! Thanks Jerry. My bad. Jim Patrick

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:38 pm

jiminbartow wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:33 pm
LOL! Thanks Jerry. My bad. Jim Patrick
Happy Thanksgiving Jim!

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:30 pm

Steve, your angle idea should work. I would do the clamping cold. Once you have it down straight, then some heat applied will relieve stresses in the bend and it should hold its shape. Heat applied before the straightening is likely to deform the metal at the bend.
I agree that the bend is likely to have been the result of a down load on the third bow, rather than stiff joints. If you look carefully, above the major bend there is a slight curve in the opposite direction.

Allan from down under.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:38 pm

If you succeed in straightening the socket you might want to dig the old rotten wood out and replace it with poured-in epoxy resin. The cured resin offers a lot of strength and will seal the inside away from further rust. I did that to my sockets and am happy with the results.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:40 pm

You might brace the sides as you bend to keep from buckling outwards.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic