Carburetor Information

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Carburetor Information

Post by ModelTWoods » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:12 am

What can any knowledgeable person tell me about A Zenith updraft carburetor marked with an )$ cast into the body followed by a stamped number and a Zenith updraft carburetor with a casting of S4BF? Also, what were Stromberg MB-1 carbs used on, originally, and finally, has anyone had any experience runing a Mayer brand carburetor and intake?

Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Re: Carburetor Information

Post by Michael Peternell » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:11 am

The Stromberg MB-1 was original equipment on the Cleveland 6 model 40 cars. The earlier overhead valve engine . Not sure about the
later flathead engine.

BuddyTheRoadster
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Rini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 roadster

Re: Carburetor Information

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:51 pm

Can you post a picture of the mystery Zenith? I haven't seen ")$" on a casting, but I've only studied them for a few years. Could it be "O4" or "O5" with 100 years of wear and tear? O4s came on Chevrolet 490 and probably a number of obscure cars.

Zenith S4BF is a darn good carb from everything I've heard. Zenith sold them with a matching manifold for Model T. See this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1381924692

The brass and cast iron Zeniths seem to really only have two problems: the pot metal venturis swell with age and can crack the casting, and you fine tune the mixture by changing out the jets. Since your friendly Zenith dealer doesn't stock jets for 100 year old carburetors anymore, Stan Howe makes an adjustable main jet now.

I found a couple applications for Stromberg MB-1 aside from Cleveland; Metz around 1919 and a couple obscure trucks. Later Clevelands used a Stromberg OS-1.

I love researching 1920s carburetors, let me know if I can help more.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic