We've lost another one

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

We've lost another one

Post by R.V.Anderson » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:46 am

My friend Hugo Vermuelen phoned yesterday from Canada to let me know that Bob Barrett of Angola, NY passed away on Sunday. Hugo said that he had been working in his shop last Sunday but succumbed to a long illness a week later. Bob was the owner of several Ts: 1909 #1004, an original, unrestored 1911 torpedo, and an original '14 depot hack. Besides his Ts he had an '06 Franklin which, along with his '13 Rolls-Royce, were frequent features of AACA and HCCA tours, along with the Lansing-Dearborn run and the OCF every year. He was working on an unrestored Pierce-Arrow survivor, a 1914 I think, and also owned a couple of 2 cylinder Buicks along with an '04 Holsman. Bob is survived by his wife Jill and a son and daughter, along with his grandchildren. Bob's knowledge and boundless enthusiasm will be greatly missed. There will be no calling hours or funeral but the family is hoping for a get-together this summer in Bob's memory.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: We've lost another one

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:38 pm

A life well lived, doing what he loved, while making a difference. I hope there are antique turn of the century cars in heaven. RIP. Jim Patrick

Topic author
R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:43 pm

It seems I had old information; there will in fact be services and calling hours:

From the Buffalo News: "Family will be present to receive friends Friday, December 11, from 4-7 PM, at the ADDISON FUNERAL HOME, INC., 262 N. Main St., Angola, NY, where services will follow at 7 PM."

Gil Fitzhugh
First Name: Gilbert
Last Name: Fitzhugh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCI Number: 20696

Post by Gil Fitzhugh » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:20 pm

Bob was a most unusual fellow. He'd been suffering from metastatic cancer for years. Despite that, he hosted a great one-and two-cylinder tour fromm Chatauqua, NY, a few years back. He and Jill took their topless 1908 Buick to the Lansing-Dearborn run and the Old Car Festival at least twice - and, when I say took, I mean they drove it to and home from the event, and home was in Buffalo! He often had one of Tracy Lesher's sons navigate for him (Tracy is editor of the Horseless Carriage Gazette), and would letone of them briefly take the wheel in a parking lot. I had the pleasure of navigating for Bob one day on a Finger Lakes tour, in his 1913 Rolls-Royce. Now, guys, I love my Model T (and Bob had those, too), but endow me with enough money and beat me with a big enough club and I'm reluctantly willing to upgrade. Bob was a great guy, and one I'll miss.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic