Engine installation in a TT truck

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
civinwt
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Hopkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 20TT 1Ton, 27 Runabout

Engine installation in a TT truck

Post by civinwt » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:34 pm

Helping install an engine in a '20 TT truck and ran into a couple of problems. Do the rear motor mount ears go over the top frame rail? and if so, then the 2 side bolts do not line up. If the rear mount ears go inside the frame rails, how high are the blocks for the ears to sit on? Also, is there a difference in oil pans between car and truck with reference to the height of the rear mount ears. And lastly, is there a difference in height for the shoe on the e-brake shaft between car and truck? Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Engine installation in a TT truck

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:45 pm

Rides on top like the car. I am pretty sure the wood blocks were not used on the TT. The cam on the cross shaft is taller for the TT's. No car and trucks used the same pan.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

jeffstag
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Versteeg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '27 TT, '25 TT, '23 Fordor, '23 Touring

Post by jeffstag » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:52 pm

Everything mounts the same as the car with the pan ears sitting on top of the frame rails with the same pan. The brake shoe on the TT is quite a bit taller, however, since the brake lever mounts under the frame and the TT frame is quite a bit thicker.
23 Touring
23 Fordor
25 TT
27 TT

Humblej
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:14 pm

I checked my unrestored 1924 TT and the engine pan ears are mounted to the top of the frame with a wood block and side bolt like the car, but the top bolt has a spring, castle nut, and cotter pin, similar to the radiator mounting.
20201208_170056.jpg

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by jsaylor » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:34 pm

If your pan ears don’t line up with the frame holes you have a bent pan. May just be the ears but best to remove the pan from the engine and have it properly straightened on a pan jig. Bent pans are one cause of broken crank shafts.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:23 pm

Removing the engine/transmission from the pan to get it straightened entails a certain amount of work. Not getting it straightened can entail even more work, plus lots of dough.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:35 am

Jeff, you post that your TT is original, I am not doubting it just I have never seen springs like on the radiator to secure the pan ears before. I like that idea since you tipically only finger tighten those nuts and bolts on the pan ears. Appearantly the TT frame moves more than a regular T would out in the fields and so forth. Other than that I see there is an insurance item of motor belly support on that truck which I have never seen before. I have a motor belly support similar to that on my 21 and everyone gives me a weird look as to why. The whole setup got me thinking and I like it. I was not trying to hijack the post just pointed out a couriosity that cought my eye. Frank

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:01 am

Frank, I read about using radiator springs on pan ears in "Tinkerin' Tips". It is not an uncommon "upgrade".

Humblej
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:26 am

More information from the Ford Service Bulletin, May 1925, vol 6, no 5, pg 22: Crankcase Arm Bolt on Trucks

We have discontinued using the side bolt and block for the crankcase arms on the TT Truck. This allows the mounting of the engine to be somewhat more flexible and reduces the possibility of cracking crankcase arms on trucks used on rough roads, etc.
The change discontinues the following parts for use on trucks:
T-3073-B Crankcase arm bolt-side
T-3083 Crankcase arm block

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:24 pm

Another common problem is that almost nobody realizes that T car and TT truck front crossmembers are different. It’s not uncommon to see a TT with a T front crossmember and there is a severe mis-match between the engine water outlet and radiator water inlet.

Topic author
civinwt
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Hopkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 20TT 1Ton, 27 Runabout

Post by civinwt » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:26 pm

thank you all for your informative replies. Of the 6 TT frames I have recently checked, 3 of them have the e-brake shaft still installed with the top of the neutral shoe 3" from the edge of the shaft. These look to be original fitment as the bolts holding it together still have the split pins installed albeit very rusty. the other frames do not have the e-brake shaft. All of the frames have only one hole in the side where the pan ear sets, which is 2 1/2 " from the top of the frame. On all 6 frames the horizontal bolts for the pan ears are 1" lower from the top of the frame compared to the car frame, so they would not fit. (ref: picture shown above). Could this be a difference between Canadian and American produced trucks? Also, regarding the front crossmember, all are original truck crossmembers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic