rocky mountain brake question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jwinters
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Winters
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 pickup
MTFCA Number: 49892
MTFCI Number: 24731

rocky mountain brake question

Post by Jwinters » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:00 am

i have considered installing the rocky mountain brakes on my 23 wood body truck.
i could purchase them from a vendor, but i also have heard that the old style may be better or different.
is it worth the effort to find an older set or just purchase a new set?
im not familiar with the differences enough to make a decision
thanks,

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: rocky mountain brake question

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:09 am

What kind of truck? Is it a pickup? The currently made Rocky Mountain brakes work fine on a standard size Model T. The only drawback is that they don't work in reverse. So it is good to have a good working transmission brake which will stop in reverse if you push hard on the pedal and also have a good parking brake.
Norm

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:10 am

The modern Rocky mountain brakes are slightly different than the period brakes. The period brake linings were pivoted at the rear. The effect of this when driving forward is for the top half of the lining to tighten but the lower half loosen. Naturally in reverse the effect is the opposite, so the braking effect both forward and reversing is similar. The modern design lining is pivoted at the lower front. When moving forward the whole lining is tightened, creating a servo action thereby enhancing the applied braking effect. Unfortunately when reversing the lining tends to loosen with the effect of minimal braking.
Those are the facts. The rest is opinion.
I prefer the modern design, on my coupe going forward I can usually lock my rear wheels. I also retain the Ford brake on the rear transmission drum and that provides adequate braking when reversing.
Last edited by TonyB on Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:18 am

Hi Joseph,
The new Rockies are self energizing forward and work poorly in reverse and when wet. If you have a Aux. Trans. and get cought going up hill and either kill the engine or get out of gear you may find yourself in trouble. Having a good park brake is advised. ( park brakes are sometimes removed because they make the rockies hard to adjust ) I once killed the engine when someone unexpetedly stopped on a very steep grade and could not pull the hill in direct low peddle. Had to restart the engine, mash reverse and grind into under drive, pull the throttle wide open and switch to low peddle all while rolling backwards and trying to convice my wife to get out while she could. I know people that where not as lucky as I was and got badly hurt! Early Rockies are hard to find and almost always need work. A-C brakes energize in both directions but are smaller. To date I have not heard a complaint from anyone using disc brakes. There are also hydraulic drum brake kits available. I'm currently working on adapting a set of 14" Studibaker brakes to model T that energize in both directions but it maybe more work than I had hoped. Thats my $00.02

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:27 am

What we need to do is go back to the originals. It would take someone that would be willing to take on a project like that. The new ones work backwards from the originals, which were CABLE operated, and had a small bracket attached to the brake pedal.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:50 pm

Larry,....in my opinion, that would have happened long ago, except for liability issues nowadays in this super litigious society we live in,....in other words,....there's a reason for all those lawyer jokes! Sad but true,... :roll: .....harold

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32

Post by TonyB » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:37 pm

Larry. I respect your opinion but in this case if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.
Case in point.
When the CDO first appeared in April 1901 it had no brakes at the rear wheels. The braking was on the transmission just like the Model T. By 1903 the Oldsmobile designers realized this arrangement was inadequate and the 03/04 model had external brakes. To me this is a tact omission that the earlier model had inadequate brakes.
Now the Model T appeared in 1908 with the same arrangement as the 1901 CDO which the Oldsmobile designers had already found inadequate.
Now I content that traffic conditions today are many times busier than in 1901 and better braking systems are a necessity.
Personally I don’t like the look of disc brakes so modern Rocky Mountain Brakes are a reasonable compromise. JMHO
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Topic author
Jwinters

Post by Jwinters » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:11 pm

All great info
My t is basically a 23/24 car that has a wood cab pickup much like a tt would look like
The bands stop it pretty good
I did put brake shoes on and my club helped me figure out the brake rods so the parking brake works good also
I live in an area that has hills and I use reverse and the brake and for the most part I’m good but was thinking an alternative brake system may be beneficial
I actually find myself wanting to drive the t more than my other cars so I thought I would look into brakes

6E813780-933D-4CD9-AAB9-3163A0CD16F6.jpeg
6E813780-933D-4CD9-AAB9-3163A0CD16F6.jpeg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 2603 times

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:57 pm

I have RMs on my two T's and have had very little problems with them. If you always keep you foot on the low pedal and use it when going backwards, its not hard to stop. I use low when approaching a stop and speed is down. Using it and RMs will stop a T fairly well.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:59 pm

I guess I really should stay out of this discussion, but, here goes..... :roll:

I'm definitely "not the brightest bulb in the marquis", and now into my 80th year, which doesn't help either, but I have to say, even I have learned a lot from this forum by regular participation in it for many years, and I believe one valuable thing I've learned is that it's a bad idea to use ANY of the three pedals for anything else but what they were designed for! Maybe I take things too seriously, but my OPINION, from what I've been led to believe by the forum is that the original planetary transmission drums are so fragile the any extra and/or unnecessary use of them adds to more cracks developing and eventual drum failure. That's why so many of the more knowledgable Model T planetary transmission guys have repeatedly stated that they've seen very few ORIGINAL drums that do not have at least some cracks in them!

So,....having said all that, I personally try to use the reverse pedal ONLY for reverse, and the clutch or "high/low" pedal for only that, and, of course, always trying to get "low" locked up as soon as possible when first starting out from dead stop. Again, just personal opinion,....FWIW,.....harold

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:38 pm

You were clearly "paying attention" in class, Harold !

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:03 pm

I have a '17 Touring that I drive, a lot! I had two experiences on the 2019 Indiana Covered bridge tour which drove home the importance of good brakes. In the first case I was going down a narrow, steep, winding hill when I came upon several Model T's stopped at a river ford. I pushed the brake to the floor and managed to miss the car ahead of me only by pulling half into a ditch. In the second case I was climbing a steep, narrow road when the engine started to sputter. It never quit but if it had, I don't think I could have stopped the car from rolling backwards into the cars following me or going off the road into the rough. I had three passengers with me so the car was heavier than most.... people could have been hurt.

After evaluating the available braking systems, I went with hydraulic disc brakes. They work great! Forward, reverse, wet or dry it's all the same. I have a driver, not a show car and don't care if they don't look "period." Not everyone will agree with my logic but there it is.
IMG_1402.jpg
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:39 pm

I agree that one should use the pedals for the purpose Ford intended them. But using reverse when backing up is OK and using low when going forward is OK Main thing is to increase the throttle when shifting down and reducing the throttle when shifting up When you press the pedal hold it down hard so the engine compression will do the braking.
Now I realize that sometimes there is no other way to stop the car and it might be necessary to depress the pedal for other reasons.
Also when in free wheeling the auxiliary brake and parking brake are the only way to stop it.
So a driver needs to be quick in acting in an emergency.
Norm

Topic author
Jwinters

Post by Jwinters » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:13 am

Tim,
thanks for the picture of the hydraulic brake system.
i forgot they existed.
did you use the sure- stop system or maybe another vendor.

i don't go fast but it just appears that where ever i go there is a stop light or stop sign at the bottom of a hill.
never on the upside of the hill!!!!!

all good points on using the pedals for what they were intended.

at this point i will keep researching all the options.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:07 pm

Joe,
I used the "Sure Stop" system. The components are of the highest quality and go together well. Unlike mechanical brakes you don't have to periodically adjust them. They also include a reliable brake light switch activated by hydraulic pressure. Under routine driving only a slight pedal pressure is needed to stop. If you stomp the pedal you can easily lock up the rear wheels.

I assume you have small drum parking brakes so the price of discs compared to RM's is about $150 more --- well worth it in my estimation.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic