Any tips on insurance?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

Any tips on insurance?

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:14 pm

Does anyone know of insurance company that would insure a Model T?
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

GG Gregory
First Name: GG
Last Name: Gregory
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Roadster

Re: Any tips on insurance?

Post by GG Gregory » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:16 pm

I have Hagerty good folks

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:20 pm

JC Taylor
Norm

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:32 pm

I just added mine to my auto insurance. The agent didn't bat an eye.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

TFowler
First Name: Todd
Last Name: Fowler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor Saloon

Post by TFowler » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:33 pm

I have JC Taylor.......very reasonable rates and simple process to get coverage.
I have no experience with claims......so far. :roll:

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:11 pm

Whenever this comes up there are several favorites. The top choices seem to be Hagerty and J.C. Taylor. If you go with Hagerty be aware that roadside emergency service is part of their "club", separate from the insurance policy. Look at the various companies' websites to see what their policies entail.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:00 pm

Sorry to say that a number of the companies that insure vintage/antique cars will not cover drivers under a certain age and you may need to have 10 years driving experience before the will. Check the web sites for the ones listed above for example. Some also have minimum value and storage restrictions.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

ryanf1023
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Fenrich
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster Project

Post by ryanf1023 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:09 pm

I’m with Intact in Canada. Had they not changed their minimum age requirement months before I got my antique car, I don’t know what I would do.

I had to laugh that Hagerty wouldn’t insure under age 25 (in Canada atleast) while also having an awards program for drivers under 20!

Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:30 am

He is between 15 and 16 so may have to look into other insurance company's, not the major ones that cover antique/vintage/classic etc cars.
Last edited by Mark Gregush on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:45 am

I went online and did a search with the question, “who insures antique cars” and a lot of auto insurance companies appeared that insure classic cars. Try it. Jim Patrick.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:35 am

Check with the insurance company your family has for their cars. Under age drivers (16 to 25) can sometimes get a "rider" policy added so they are covered when driving but the car may have to be titled in an adults name.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Jim_PTC_GA
Last Name: Fisher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924, 1925-ish
MTFCA Number: 31822
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Jim_PTC_GA » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:37 am

I just called my regular insurance guy and explained what I have and what I wanted to do. I drive my T less than 50 miles a year and only around town here where I live. Gave me a pretty good rate. Car is valued at 6-8k.
Just give me time to Rust and I'll be good as new. :) Wabi-Sabi

Rick_Rice
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Rice
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 TT Closed Cab Express
MTFCA Number: 50121

Post by Rick_Rice » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:10 am

Guys,
I don't want to cause a debate and almost erased this three times and kept it to myself, but I had Hagerty too. I had full coverage on my TT and not a single at-fault auto claim in several decades when Hank and I went on our little runaway thrill ride together.

After I reported the incident, my local agent smiled big told me "the issue was a very simple straight forward claim that would be settled very fairly in 24-48 hours".

Without getting into the particulars, the folks at Hagerty are very nice..., until you have a claim and deal with their adjuster. I initially thought maybe it was just my bad luck to deal with the particular adjuster that was assigned to my claim. After they paid the claim, my education still wasn't completed. My experience taught me the insurance companys are not "like a good neighbor" and you are "not in good hands".

This has been a game changer for me. If it wasn't for Hank and I having some very fruitful candid conversations, the truck would have already been sold after he masterfully repaired and put it into better condition than it was before the accident. I must say I am still thinking very serious about getting rid of some of my old toys and pursuing other interests and hobbies with my wife in retirement..., the lake has been calling us for a couple years.
From the heart and just being honest.

CudaMan
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:10 am

I have my antique cars insured by Condon Skelly, I have been very happy with them.

12 years ago I stupidly scraped and pushed in the rear passenger side of my 1971 Plymouth GTX show car on one of those gas pump post barricades. Condon Skelly sent a local rep out to my house to assess the damage. I had already asked around and picked a shop to do the repair work, and when I told the rep asked who I had picked, he said "good, he's the best in the area". They covered the full cost of the repairs with no questions or hassles. The repairs came out perfect, you can't tell that the incident ever happened. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:20 am

Thank you all for the advice! How do I get a title for an old car like this?
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:41 am

look at the laws in your state for title info.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:45 am

Jonah D'Avella wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:20 am
Depends what state you're in. Some are a nightmare, others are fairly easy. It's always been very easy for me in Michigan.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:57 am

All states are different. Search the Tennessee DOT website or ask at a DMV office. For the latter, don't volunteer any information they don't ask for. It may complicate things.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:07 am

I have had Formost insurance through J.C. Taylor for almost 30 years. Full coverage. I have never needed it for an accident caused by driving my car, however, on an out of state tour I had an accident where the deck lid fell on my hand when I was removing a tool. It almost cut off the tip om one finger and I had to go to the E.R. They stitched up the finger, which fortunately was not broken. The bill was $1,000. My medical insurance would not cover it because it happened with the car. I contaced Formost and they paid $900 toward the bill then my medical insurance paid the other $100. So I am very satisfied with the company.
Norm
Arizona Trip 005.jpg
Arizona Trip 008.jpg

Dan Hatch
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:50 am

Not to change the thread but what happened to Norman is the new standard. Friend of mine drove his modern car from Key West to Birmingham non stop. His wife went to doc with back pain . She told doc that hurt after the trip. His med insurance would not cover it. Had the file a claim with car insurance.
Same thing if you get hurt working on your car or someone else car. Dan

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068

Post by Art M » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:13 pm

I have insured my 23 touring with Condon and Skelly for 43 years. The car can be driven all 12 months of the year, but this is only true for certain cars. They ask if the car has been modified to increase horsepower. I don't know if a hottsr c
I never thought about submitting a claim when I sliced my thumb when mounting my slow moving sign.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068

Post by Art M » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:14 pm

I have insured my 23 touring with Condon and Skelly for 43 years. The car can be driven all 12 months of the year, but this is only true for certain cars. They ask if the car has been modified to increase horsepower. I don't know if a hottsr c
I never thought about submitting a claim when I sliced my thumb when mounting my slow moving sign.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:49 pm

Adding to my earlier post - I added my Model T to the same insurance policy that covers my other vehicles - Auto Owners - From November thru March I get a reduced rate as I choose to put it into "storage." It's my choice to do so and I could keep my insurance fully active year around if I wanted. My policy includes roadside assistance and all the rest. I've never had an issue with my T but thru the years we've had a few deer strikes and a couple of totals with our modern cars, all of which were handled to my satisfaction.

I checked into Hagerty but they had more restrictions and cost more than Auto Owners.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

DanTreace
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:27 pm

Jonah D'Avella wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:20 am
Jonah

This is from TN gov't site, DMV. Gives the info on how to title and register your T, taking into consideration that you acquired the '26 touring without a valid title on that particular vehicle to use for registration and title in your name, then again, due to your age, you may not legally obtain a title.

In Tennessee, unless a child is legally emancipated, it is unlawful for a child under the age of eighteen to be the registered owner of a vehicle.

https://secure.tncountyclerk.com/forms/ ... cation.pdf
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:50 pm

Until it is titled/registered, I don't think you can get insurance anyway.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

jab35
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:09 am

Followup to Mark's statement, you should be able to insure the unregistered vehicle under your homeowner's/rental policy, which is generally very inexpensive. Typically these policies cover aggregated personal property up to a certain value. You might need to increase the level of coverage to include your T while it's parked or you are restoring it and getting the title. This is property insurance only and offers no liability coverage if you have a mishap driving your T. jb

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:31 am

When I bought my "Pile of rusty parts" I had a bill of sale but the car was not registered. Every state has it's own rules concerning registration and insurance, so what I did here in California might not apply where you live, but at least it is something which might be of help where you live. In our state we have the Department of Motor Vehicles. This is where we take driver's tests and also where we register our cars. In order to get a registration or have one renewed, we must show proof of insurance. We also have what is called "Non Operation" With a Non Operation certificate, you must pay a minimal fee I think it is $5.00. This will keep everything valid until the car is ready to drive. Then one has to apply for insurance and the insurance company will notify the department of motor vehicles that the car is insured. They will also give you a card which indicates the policy number and dates of insurance. You take the title, the proof of insurance and the certificate of non operation in and get the car registered and pay the fees.
Now in my case, I had no title. We have a company in town called "Tag Stop" For a reasonable fee they will search to see if your car is titled to someone else, and if it is clear, they will apply for the certificate of non operation for you. So the first thing I did when I bought the pile of parts, was call the Tag Stop. They came out and looked at my engine number and proceeded to clear the title and got my car registered as "non operation" . They also check for unpaid fees and penalties which might need to be paid before it is registered. I did this before I started the restoration, because I didn't want to end up with a car I could not register. Everything passed, so I proceeded for about 10 years restoring the car and then got the insurance and paid for the tags and I was ready to go.
Anyway, this process might be different where you live, but someone who lives there would be able to help you.
Norm

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Susanne » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Please don't laugh...

I have mine listed with USAA as one of my daily drivers (<1000 miles a year)... they're not as cheap as Hagerty, but I had a lengthy discussion with them when I got the policy for it, and they said they were good with it. I asked that they were sure it was a Nineteen Fifteen Model T touring, and they paused, then said, yes, A 1915 Ford Toruing car, Then they asked if there were any accessories or modifications I wanted as a rider...

Wow. Just... totally... WOW.

Not that any of the vintage or antique insurance companies are better or worse, but they will cover my car if a SHTF event happens with the T.

If you are a USAA member, ask them. You might be pleasantly surprised. ;-)

Corvette Guy
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Jones

Post by Corvette Guy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:40 am

I'm with Hagerty, as Farm Bureau wouldn't insure me as they considered my TT a kit car. Since my TT came from the factory with a bare frame and since it now has a cab and bed it's a kit car in their eyes. I pointed out that it won't go much faster than a bicycle and they said it didn't matter. I think I pay $175 for $6500 stated value for year round full coverage.

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:36 am

I have Hagerty and no claims. Most of what I have heard about Hagerty is good, but I too resent being forced into their "club". The benefits of Hagerty's club only duplicate what we have with AAA for our other cars. Hagerty requires that the covered vehicle be parked/stored inside a real building. They will not allow the vehicle to be stored in an open carport or in a trailer.
Part 2: If the OP wants to title the vehicle in his 15 or 16 (I forgot which) year-old son's name, in almost all states he will have to wait until the young man is 18.
Part 3, If you want the T to be covered by your homeowner's insurance, you should specifically list it on your homeowner's policy. There will likely be an extra charge for this coverage which will only cover fire/wind and non-flood water damage. It will almost certainly not cover the vehicle when it is being driven.

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:00 am

RE If the OP wants to title the vehicle in his 15 or 16 son...
The OP is the 15/16 year old, not the father.
When I looked that the Hagerty web site, parking in driveway, open shed and couple of others were on the list as being OK. I got a note from the Northwest rep. after I checked the prices on line, told him I would be interested in the insurance but had no use for the "Package" except towing, but even at that, for the 45 extra you only get 20 miles.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring

Post by Retro54 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:11 pm

Just providing an experience testimonial for the purpose of assisting with the initial question.

I insure my other hobby vehicle, a 1954 Chevy Bel Air, through JC Taylor / Foremost Insurance Co.. When I put my 15 T on the road, I will insure that as well.

My 54 has an agreed upon value policy of $10k. I live in PA and the total policy with PA particulars and limits matching my regular drive policies costs me $115 per year and hasn't changed in years. (Just sharing as point of reference). Remember ** an agreed upon value policy is an agreement of value between you and the company. When you exercise your policy, the 'value' of the policy is reduced the cost of the repairs, until your car is made whole again. (very important point).

Around 7 or 8 years ago, I was in a hit-n-run accident with a drunk driver. Driver hit my rear bumper, bounced off and left. (he was caught and jailed).My rear bumper & bumperettes were mangled, bumper brackets bent beyond repair, drive rear fender tweaked, but not enough to warrant body work on an original paint car.

Even though it was not my fault, I ran the accident through my policy. (even though the adjuster sent out by the other driver's company's dad was a president or something in the classic Chevy association). JC Taylor made me whole. The adjuster took care of everything, let me choose the vendors for the repair (original bumpers straitened and rechromed by Librandi Chrome Plating a top notch firm) and let me purchase other replacement parts from wherever I wanted. The repair work was done by an excellent local shop that 'didn't do estimates'. my adjuster talked through the expected repairs with him and cut a check that the adjuster estimated would likely cover the repair. If repair had gone over his estimate, another check would have been cut. ONCE THE CHECK WAS CUT, lets say it was $3,000, the insured value of my policy was reduced by $3k. IT was made whole once repair work was done. That taught me that you had better insure the car for a value that could cover you in the event of a major accident. Good lesson. JC Taylor went above and beyond, and gave me piece of mind while i was heart broken over the damage to my baby (we've been together 24 years by now). Based on this experience, I anticipate always staying with JC Taylor.

Regarding underage insurance... for a period of time, your guardian (father, mother, etc.) may have to 'own and insure' the car and allow you to drive it (if their policy would allow that - you of course do not want to commit insurance fraud). This is one was to insure a car as a young hobbyist.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic