As we approach the 110th anniversary of the New York to Seattle Race, another photo surfaces.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

As we approach the 110th anniversary of the New York to Seattle Race, another photo surfaces.

Post by Rob » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:26 pm

As a "Model K" guy, it's always intrigued me that Henry Ford chose/allowed a Model K to lead the racers out of New York to St. Louis at the beginning of the race. As with most contests of the period, a prestigious lead car was always selected as the Pilot Car to enforce any controls and set the pace in endurance contests. A question that should be asked is, why a Ford Model K? The model was discontinued after 1908. Henry Ford obviously had set course with the versatile Model T.

A little background. The Model K that led the racers from New York was owned by Ford Motor Company. Robert Teves, the driver, was a Ford New York Branch salesman who had specialized in Model K sales.

For more context, this was not a "half rate operation." The trailblazer selected for the New York to Seattle race was non other than the same Thomas Flyer that had won the New York to Paris race the year before. This was not a low end production. And Henry Ford was involved up to his eyeballs. He had endorsed this contest, and entered two cars. Initially many automakers entered the contest, but one of the leading associations of the day pulled their endorsement, and participation shiriveled to five contestestants. Still, public interest was palpable, and the media covered the race from start to finish.

I've said in previous posts that this was probably the most widely distributed photo of a Model K ever, the pilot car for the race:
IMG_2436.JPG
As seen in Newspapers across the U.S.:
IMG_2437.JPG
Leading the racers from N.Y. City Hall:
IMG_2438.JPG
However, I had to go to France to find another view of the Model K pilot, and Ford Number 1, in this photo and description:
IMG_2407.PNG
This is how the world saw Ford and the race to Seattle.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: As we approach the 110th anniversary of the New York to Seattle Race, another photo surfaces.

Post by DHort » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:51 am

So Rob, are you going to lead the parade this year? Did they ask you?

Did the Model K lead all the way to St Louis, or did it stop in Detroit or somewhere in between?

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: As we approach the 110th anniversary of the New York to Seattle Race, another photo surfaces.

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:30 am

We have been having fun reading American articles about racing and hill climbs in France. So I guess now it is turnabout and fair play to read a French article about an American race!
Nice photos of the K model, and '09 racer number one before it got so beat up!

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:52 am

A stripped down version of the model K ah. Thanks
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:53 am

We have mention of the Thomas Flyer...
But nothing of the Hannibal 8 ?
The Professor is not very happy !! :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3746.JPG
IMG_3746.JPG (19.74 KiB) Viewed 4833 times

Topic author
Rob
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:37 am

Dave Hj, I've not spoken with the organizers. I would have loved to participate, but schedule and logistics wouldn't work, so I didn't check. Some may recall that we drove our K roadster "stripped down" like the Ocean to Ocean pilot car the first year as we sorted it out. I may try to tag along a few days when the racers reach the center U.S..

The Model K led the racers as far as Chicago. In fact, two Model K led the Ford racers into Chicago. Tom Hay, Ford Branch Manager in Chicago, met the Fords and Pacemaker K in his Ford Six near Goshen IN and led them Into the windy city (2nd paragraph):
IMG_2454.JPG
This account mentions that the K pilot car was in the lead as the racers entered Chicago. At the end, it mentions that four of the six race participants are using Firestone tires. The K pilot is included in this tally. It also mentions that the Stearns car has left New York as a participant. However, the Stearns car and crew never become a factor, and I don't think they made it out of New York state.
IMG_2440.JPG
This article describes the long run from Chicago to St. Louis the next day. Roads were bad, and it took the Fords 23 hours to make the trip, driving all night. No mention is made of the Ford K pilot, and the pacemaster does not arrive in the Ford. I don't know if the Model K left Chicago to return to New York, or what happened. With all the accounts of the race along the way, I doubt the car broke down or became stuck. My suspicion is the cars were so spread out there was not much need for a lead pilot any longer, but that's just speculation:
IMG_2455.JPG
Another photo showing two Fords and one of the other racers leaving New York City:
IMG_2457.JPG

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:47 pm

Nice post Rob!! I think the pace car was not a striped down model K but rather a 6-40 Ford Roadster? Yes the Itala dropped out of the race in Cheyenne,Wyo,but after it was hit by a train!!! Bud,who thanks whoever got me posting!.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:26 pm

Bud. Welcome back! You had us worried.

Ford initially called the 1906 Model K "6-40" for it's six cylinder forty horse motor. By early 1907 that was shortened in refeeences to "Ford Six." Then, with the rollout of the runabout (yes, it was initially called a runabout, not roadster by Ford), 6-40 was again used, now for the new body style runabout/roadster.

I'll put up a progression of Ford model advertising for K and NR and S at some point.

Again, good to hear from you Bud.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:59 pm

Good to see you back Bud!
Let us think about this a moment. A half a dozen cars, racing cross country as fast as they can! With a Ford 6-40 as a guide, leading the way ahead of all of them. Perhaps they are all racing with the wrong cars?
Regardless, the only cars able to keep up with the 6-40 Ford are the two little Fords.
Great stuff Rob, thanks again!

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:29 pm

Wayne,
Your comment reminded me of a couple of paragraphs that appeared in the July 1, 1909 Ford Times regarding the Ford 6-40 and the "midget competitors" during the run:

IMG_2484.JPG

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:18 pm

I think the model T's did so well because of the mud and what passed for roads? Also Henry was at the time trying to sell the model T.I am at a loss for words as how i could look at the picture of the 6-40 for almost 60 years and not think about it being striped?? Bud.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:01 pm

I'm missing a detail and got stuck on it.
The Ford K led the racers. The Thomas Flyer was the trailblazer.
What is the difference? :oops:
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic