Holley Vaporizer troubles

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Holley Vaporizer troubles

Post by thom » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:48 pm

The otherwise nice '27 Coupe that I'm working on for a family having an estate sale has a d**m Holley vaporizer carb still on it. I've done everything else I can to get it to run and when I removed the carb I found the vaporizer plate behind it had a hole burned in it. I tried making one but it didn't work. I'll get one coming from Lang's.

NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Re: Holley Vaporizer troubles

Post by NU2theT » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:59 pm

Thom, get a rebuilt NH. My 26 had a vaporizer, they are interesting but the NH's are the way to go. Good luck with that 27 and post some pictures.

Topic author
thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:26 pm

The owners/sellers want it fixed ASAP so I need to try the new plate first. They live in Florida and are staying here in NC until the estate is settled and I don't want the sell of the Model T to keep them longer than they want to stay.
If it were mine I would ditch the vaporizer and install a carb set-up like on my '21 Touring.

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:12 am

There is nothing wrong with a vap setup. I have been running them on my Ts for years and that means national and local tours. Replace the plate and make sure all connections are tight. I use hight temp silicone gasket cement on mine when they are opened up. I have passed more than my share of Ts on mountain roads with the vaps.

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:35 am

They run OK but are a bitch to start cold on the crank. Start right up with the starter and full choke however. I ditched mine for an NH after going through 3 of them to try to cure the crank starting issue.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:58 pm

I would get an NH and manifold to get the car running until you can rebuild your vaporizer... I (god help me) actually like the Holley vaporizer design, but I also understand it's a beast to find parts for and keep going (because, yes, they DO burn out)... but a running T is better than one that is not...

Also look up the linkages for running your throttle linkage over the top of your motor, while the conversion to a "normal" carb (and it's punching a hole in the 2-3 cylinder web) is a great idea, I also would love to see unmolested "improved" motors stay stock as much as possible...

SamInStL
First Name: Sam
Last Name: Atkinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '27 Runabout, '25 Panel Truck
MTFCA Number: 7023
MTFCI Number: 18469
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by SamInStL » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:03 am

I've owned my 27 Roadster for 42 years, have driven it possibly 100,000 miles in that time and have always run a vaporizer on it. Mine starts good regardless of outside temp, runs smooth and is just as "fast" as others with NH carbs. My suggestion; do as I did and get a rebuilt from Russ Potter--they are show-quality-beautiful and will give years of trouble free service.

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:29 am

Mine start well in cold weather also. Those that have been on tour with me know my cars run well.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:14 pm

That poor old maligned vapo-rub carb. Usually very misunderstood and I'm no rocket scientist.
Get the 6273 vaporizer plate and maybe a new 6276 primary air tube if it's not perfect. How's that little 6277 heater coil around the tube?
I didn't see the little screw that passes thru the outlet pipe in the upper section and wrecked that. $25 dollars in parts.
Shipping was more than the parts. You perhaps have some high temp sili-sealant already so lightly goop up any spot that could leak air.
I even put a little around the primary air tube where it enters the bowl section and the upper section.
:)
On a tired, far from perfect engine in my late TT with a burned out starter, three choked pulls on the crank and away it went.
Open the throttle a bit more than you might otherwise with an NH.
You folks "think" these carbs are junk? The Holley Brothers Kerosene "mixer" for OT engines have been likened to "a beer can with holes punched in it" and are far more difficult to deal with but the same notion exists there also. NO air leaks.
A shot of the well used, home made vap plate that I found on this truck. At least it was smiling!
Holler if you need any help. :)
Attachments
P1010066.JPG
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:03 am

Since you're under a time constraint, you don't appear to have the time to try this, then try that, then buy this part, then buy that part, etc. I'd order all the pieces that the suppliers offer for the vaporizer & install them all.

Check/replace the intake manifold gaskets as well.

TFowler
First Name: Todd
Last Name: Fowler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor Saloon

Post by TFowler » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:22 pm

I agree with Jim and Jerry and Duey.
Strip down the vaporizer, clean all passages, buy and replace all parts Duey mentions.
ALSO
The SPRAY NOZZLE (part 6286) definitely has to come out.....there are some orifices that behind it that must be cleaned for proper operation. I had to use an easy-out to get spray nozzle out.

There is a flapper in the upper throttle body......make certain that is free and not stuck

Use high temp red permatex for air tight seals ....seal the connection of the outlet pipe/outlet pipe nut/vaporizer plate.

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:32 am

In the summer of 1964 I had a 55 gallon drum of caustic soda - water mix, a miracle solution, I thought at the time, that I put T parts in for about a week, the parts looked brand new when removed and washed off with water. I probably had the cleanest Holley vaporizer in all of Texas. Only one problem, the caustic soda completely ate the pot metal Venturi, leaving no trace of it ever been there. Not knowing for years it was missing the Venturi, it never worked. I’m not sure what ever happened to the Vaporizer so you may check and see if Venturi is present.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic