RIP Jay Klehfoth

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

RIP Jay Klehfoth

Post by KWTownsend » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:55 pm

I just receive notification from Barbara Klehfoth that Jay passed away this afternoon. "It is a shock to all of us and he was deeply loved by everyone."

It is a sad day.

: ^ (

My1914T
First Name: Ross
Last Name: Benedict
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Drs. Coupe
MTFCA Number: 17965

Re: RIP Jay Klehfoth

Post by My1914T » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:46 am

Truly sad. Both Jay and Barb did a lot for the MTFCA and the Model T hobby generally over time. Our thoughts are with Barb and family.
Ross

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:03 am

Oh, shoot. So sad to hear this. I never got to meet him in person, but always loved the "Life in the Slow Lane" he wrote. I very much knew and appreciated all the things he did for the model T world.
RIP Jay.
My condolences to all his family and close friends for their loss.

Model_T_Family
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Sayer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Model T Touring (Black), 1924 Model T Speedster (Red)
MTFCA Number: 30962
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Model_T_Family » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:15 am

We loved Jay he has known my wife since she was a little girl. He always held a great respect for Ben Yumori and my wifes family. A Model T Guy at heart, I would visit them when I came to Indiana and once stayed with them for a few days. He always supported my journey in Model T life. I was truly sad to see this post today and send our love and thoughts to his family.

Eric, Jennifer, McKaela, Tatiana, and Camila

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4

Post by Luxford » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:58 am

My wife Sally and I are really shocked to hear about Jay, He and Barbara have been lifetime friends of ours.
We first met Jay just after he took over as editor of the Vintage Ford in mid 1990 and he talked me into writing the column on back issues which Bruce had produced before hand to inform later members of the great content they contained.
On several visits we stayed with Barbara and Jay first in Dallas and later in Centreville when he moved the MTFCA business address to there.

On one occasion we talked about the up coming 100th Anniversary of the Model T and I made a pact with Jay that if he organised a celebration I would ship over one of my T's a for it. Which we did in 2008.

As we know he and Barbara did just that and produced an outstanding event for us all as well as doing all the clubs business dealings all those years including the establishment of the museum.

It's only a short time ago we spoke on the phone which we often did, we both are greatly impacted to hear this news,
If it hadn't been for the virus drama this year we would have been there in summer to visit again.

A great friend who we will really miss.
What a terrible time of the year for this to happen.

Barbara if you read this we will be in touch.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115

Post by George House » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:19 am

I am shocked and saddened to find out Jay has been taken - too soon - from us. I very much enjoyed the fellowship over lunch with Jay and Barbara when I visited the museum many years ago. They are both so dedicated to showcase our beloved Model T s and are just all around great folks. May God’s comfort and peace settle on Barbara now.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:44 am

Oh what a shame! I met Jay and Barb at the museum a while back. Very nice folks. Prayers go out to Barb and the family.
May he rest in peace.

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:33 am

Jay will certainly be missed in the Model T community I don't think I would be wrong in saying he WAS the MTFCA for quite a few years when he was at the helm. He and Barb were two of the friendliest people I ever met, and always enjoyed visiting with them at Hershey. Very sad day indeed. Jim
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:36 am

I'm very sorry to read about Jay's passing. He was a great contributor to the hobby.
Norm

Don D
First Name: Don
Last Name: Demio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T
MTFCA Number: 27167
MTFCI Number: 20405

Post by Don D » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:36 am

We have been blessed to have Jay cross our path in life. He was a true gentleman. He and Barbara contributed so much to our members.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Rest in Peace my friend,
Dom

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCI Number: 6866

Post by KeithG » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:14 pm

It was very sad to read that Jay had passed. Our most sincere sympathy to his family.

Jay was always a friendly guy and knew his Model T's extremely well. He and Barbara did an outstanding job in organizing the 100th anniversary of Model T's in Richmond in 2008. For that event, Jay had a tag that said "Big dog", and Barbara had one that said "Other Big Dog". That event will always be remembered as one of their crowning achievements.

May Jay rest in peace.

Keith Gumbinger
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407

Post by Moxie26 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:17 pm

I am very shocked and upset with Jay's death. ....he was very helpful,as was his wife,setting up our local chapter ... Also, when we met at the old museum in Centerville we did speak about some improvements he had in mind for the new museum in Richmond and did respect my input. Not only that, after a while with people coming into the museum he says you can have a discussion with the folks at came in, and to help those folks with any questions that they had besides explaining the way the Model T would run. Prior to this he was very helpful and organized with Bruce McCalley.... Our sympathy and prayers go to Jay's family and hopefully whatever services will be arranged would be made public here on the forum......Jay, God bless.

TPrez1923@aol.com
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Mahoney
MTFCA Number: 261

Post by TPrez1923@aol.com » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Having worked with Jay and Barbara for 21 years on the MTFCA Board and as President 3 years, I can truly vouch for the kind of person Jay was. Always helpful, always thinking about what was best for the MTFCA. Over the years we became family as did so many others. A true testament of how a life should be lived. Debbie and I had the pleasure of once again seeing Jay and Barbara just 2 months ago on a road trip, and as always even with Jay's declining health issues they were the consummate host and hostess. We will miss Jay, and wish all the best to Barbara and family during this difficult time. Another great one has gone on before us. Mark & Debbie Mahoney

paulmikeska
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Mikeska
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1917 Speedster, 1923 Farm Truck, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 15976

Post by paulmikeska » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:07 am

Very sad news. I was fortunate to get to know Jay and Barbara and tour with them years ago when we were members of the Dallas T club. My thoughts and prayers are with the family as well.

Ron Patterson
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Patterson

Post by Ron Patterson » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:51 am

Very sorry to hear this news.
All my best wishes go out to Barbara and the rest of the family.
Ron Patterson

Russ_Furstnow
First Name: Russ
Last Name: Furstnow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1913 Touring, 1914 Runabout, 1915 Coupelet, 1916 Coupelet
MTFCA Number: 28
MTFCI Number: 10546

Post by Russ_Furstnow » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:28 am

We are very sad to hear of Jay's passing. He was instrumental in growing the club and publishing a great magazine. Our prayers are with Barbara and the family.
Russ and Kathy Furstnow

Ddaved
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Dunlavy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 220

Post by Ddaved » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:02 am

I had to let this sink in for a day before I posted. Jay was one of the few "ONE OF A KIND" who contributed greatly to our hobby. I have so many fond memories of my knowing Jay, I will recall them as I pray for Barbara and family. God Bless you all.

John iaccino
First Name: John
Last Name: Iaccino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Roadster, Open Runnabout
MTFCA Number: 17802

Post by John iaccino » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:59 pm

Sorry to hear of Jays passing. Cathy and I have many fond memories of Jay and Barbara on National tours. He will be missed.

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:43 am

Moxie26

Re: RIP Jay Klehfoth - Obituary

Post by Moxie26 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:49 am

Obituary for Jay Gordon Klehfoth
CENTERVILLE, Ind. – Jay Gordon Klehfoth, age 75, of Centerville, Indiana, died unexpectedly Wednesday, December 16, 2020, at his home.

Born and raised in Richmond, Indiana, Jay graduated from Richmond High School in 1963. He attended Purdue University and graduated from Indiana University in 1967 with a B.S. in Business Administration, majoring in marketing and finance. Jay completed the MBA program at Miami University of Ohio in 1971, after serving as an officer in the United States Air Force.

After his stint in the Air Force, Jay returned to Philco-Ford in Connersville, Indiana, serving in various financial management positions. In addition, he owned and operated Yankee Farm Antiques in Cambridge City, Indiana.

In 1976, Jay accepted a position on corporate staff at Ford’s World Headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan. Initially, he served as a liaison with Ford of Europe. Later, Jay was assigned to work with Ford’s Diversified Products Operations (Ford’s non-automotive businesses). In 1979, he became an internal business consultant, acting as a consultant to the executive vice president level and above of the company.

In 1981, Jay accepted the position of Assistant Vice President of Finance and Planning with W.R. Grace’s Natural Resources Group, located in Dallas, Texas. He was deeply involved in taking the group public. The new company, Grace Energy, was traded on the New York Stock Exchange.

While in Dallas, Jay became associated with a local chapter of the Model T Ford Club of America (MTFCA), a nonprofit California corporation founded in 1965 and dedicated to the history and preservation of the Model T Ford. Model Ts had been a love of Jay’s since purchasing his first car, a 1927 Model T coupe, at the age of 13, a car still in his family today.

In 1989, while working for Grace, Jay accepted the responsibility of editing “The Vintage Ford,” the official magazine of MTFCA. In 1992, he and his wife, Barbara, added the business office to their responsibilities and Jay was awarded the title of Chief Executive Officer. In addition to running the club, they were credited with gaining a 501(c)3 educational nonprofit status for the club. The MTFCA is one of the world’s largest antique car clubs with members in all 50 states and 41 foreign countries. The club has over 125 chapters around the world.

In 1999, Jay and Barbara purchased the Malone House, an 1835 Federal-style row house in Centerville. After extensive restoration was begun, they moved to their “new” old home in May 2000. They also moved the publication and business offices of the MTFCA to their home in Centerville, as well as their three Model Ts – a 1927 coupe, a 1926 dirt track racer, and a 1923 English-built Model T town car.

Jay and Barbara enjoyed their historic home and the area. They became active in local organizations and enjoyed collecting antiques.

Jay served on the Board of Trustees (President for 2004-2005) of the Centerville-Center Township Public Library and was past President of Promote Centerville, Inc. He was a member and past director of the Centerville Lions Club. Jay was also a member and past director of the Wayne County Historical Museum. Jay and his wife, Barbara, were Life Members of Historic Centerville, Inc. and Friends of the Library. Additionally, they were members of the Cope Environmental Center, Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, and other local organizations.

Survivors include his wife of 35 years, Barbara Mauzy Klehfoth; children, Jennifer (Daniel) Hollandbeck of Bainbridge, Indiana, Alex (Jayme) Klehfoth of Helena, Montana, and Cheri (Lyle) Pearson of Columbus, Ohio; four grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; brother, John E. (Kristal) Klehfoth of Elkhart, Indiana; two nieces; nephew; and many friends.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Gordon Walter and Mary Emery Klehfoth.

A memorial service for Jay Gordon Klehfoth will be announced by the family at a later date. Arrangements are being handled by Mills Funeral Home, 405 East Main Street, Centerville.

Memorial contributions may be made to: Model T Ford Club of America, P.O. Box 996, Richmond, IN 47375 or 2nd Chance Animal Rescue of Richmond, Inc., 2905 US Highway 35 N, Richmond, IN 47374-9707, in honor of Jay’s love of animals.

Condolences may be sent to the family via the guest book at www.doanmillsfuneralhome.com.

dlmyers
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Myers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 24465
MTFCI Number: 19884
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by dlmyers » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Thank you, Robert.
The old forums are a gold mine of information.

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100

Post by Hap_Tucker » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:45 pm

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Barbara and their extended family. Jay was instrumental in helping so many of us on so many different projects. One of those was helping to get the 1906-1907 Model N,R, & S Chapter going again. And that evolved into the 1903-1909 Early Ford Registry. He will be greatly missed.

Sadly submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303

Post by aDave » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:38 pm

Jay.jpeg
Jay.jpeg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 3814 times

Ron Patterson
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Patterson

Post by Ron Patterson » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:38 pm

I suggest we all donate what we can to the MTFCA in honor Jay's significant roll in the establishment of the MTFCA Museum and Bruce McCalley Memorial Library and Research Center.
Ron Patterson

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:41 pm

Jay and Barbara at the old museum......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFiXv5OWthg.

Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:46 pm

2020 continues to be a year we all need to forget. One sharp stick in the eye after another all year long. NOTHING good has happened this year. Jay's passing is the last straw.

Very sad news, indeed.

Marshall

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:25 pm

Jay & Barbara at dedication of new Richmond, Indiana MTFCA Museum......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M_wMKuA62k.

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:20 pm

Barbara, a thoughtful Christmas blessing to you and the family. You all are in our thoughts and prayers..... everyday.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic