Hogs Head Questions...

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Hogs Head Questions...

Post by VowellArt » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:44 am

Does anybody have any pictures of a completely disassembled Hogs Heads (and I mean the Model T Parts, not some bloody pigs head), that is without pedals and or any of the other parts on or in it? Any and all of them I'd like to have pictures of and what I need is front, right side, rear and underneath and the years they came from. I'm especially interested in the 2 lever 1909's.

There are a few assemblies I need to do still though, but the Hogs Head is one of them as is that big damned heavy noisy thing up front too.

Any and all pictures would be appreciated, thanx. :D

-=Martynn=-
Fun never quits!

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Hogs Head Questions...

Post by DanTreace » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:24 am

Martynn

Some views of two-lever early 1909's hogshead.

100_8978 (500x376).jpg
100_8978 (500x376).jpg (169.34 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
1909 floorboards out.jpg
IMG_6713 (720x540).jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:57 pm

I am about ready to dismantle the Hog's Head from my 1921. Come over and bring your camera.

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:17 am

Dan, Much appreciated, these are great (especially that last one, very clear as to what is going on). By the look of that linkage, it works like the brake lever in later cars, kicking the Hi/Lo pedal into neutral, I noticed it also has another arm on it that works the reverse band but uses a lever instead of a pedal to engage Reverse. In the last picture you posted (the one without the body), there appears to be a bell crank lever just above the Hi/Lo shaft, do you know what it is for? Also there doesn't seem to be any adjustment for the Hi/Lo pedal at all (or is that the adjustment for the Hi/Lo pedal?) no threaded shaft with jam nut like is on the other two you posted. Also noticing that the two in the car don't have that bump on the back of the inspection cover tower either...is one of these earlier than the other?

Also the hogs head itself appears to be stamped metal not cast, would really be interesting to see the inside of one of these, do you also have pictures of their insides? I'd like to know what those 4 rivets are for on the back. Do you happen to know if there was a RHD version of the 2 lever? Wouldn't think it would be that difficult, that slip shaft linkage part would be on the other side with the control arm also opposite of where it is in the picture, as all the shaft bosses would be too.

Chris, that would be great, let me know when you're going to do that! Your car is a bare bones 21 right?, soooo, that would mean it wouldn't have the starter/Bendix housing addition to the Hogs Head. :D
Fun never quits!

Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:15 am

VowellArt wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:17 am
Chris, that would be great, let me know when you're going to do that! Your car is a bare bones 21 right?, soooo, that would mean it wouldn't have the starter/Bendix housing addition to the Hogs Head. :D
The Hogs Head is off and laying in the driveway.

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:20 am

Chris, Oh, jeees I wish I had seen this earlier (I was expecting a call, not a post, sorry).
Fun never quits!

Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:07 am

VowellArt wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:20 am
Chris, Oh, jeees I wish I had seen this earlier (I was expecting a call, not a post, sorry).
You didn't put your phone number in your post.
You are still welcome to see it.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:17 pm

Just to keep you motivated Martynn, you will find major differences to USA made hogsheads when compared with RHD units!

Allan from down under.

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:39 am

Allan What sorts of differences and do you have any pictures of RHD Hogsheads? And do you know if there were ever any early car RHD 2 levers?

I've sort of started amidships on these, 1911-1912, 1913-14, 1915 (15 is sort of an oddball), 1916 and 1917-1918...not sure if there is any differences between the 1917's and the 18's yet but I don't think there is. Still looking for information, but I've got some nice pictures of the 1909-1910 early steel hogsheads and the 2 lever linkage....but therein lays a snag, because of the way the 2 lever works it should be rightfully on the brake control lever assembly and not part of the hogshead assembly...yet its linkage is really part of the hogshead assembly and not the brake control lever assembly...fun huh? So, I'm still pondering over what sort of cross over assemblies I'm going to have to do with these two, like I always say, fun never quits, even when I sometimes wish it would lighten up just a bit. :lol:
Fun never quits!

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:08 am

Martynn, the difference is in the adjusters. On a RHD cover the reverse and brake bands have the adjusters on the outside and the first gear band is adjusted on the inside. This is a direct opposite to the arrangement on LHD covers. The adjusters are constructed in the same way, just swapped around in application. I don't know about RHD two lever covers. There is an original two lever car in Victoria, imported from the USA within the last 20 or so years, but I cannot remember if it is RHD or not.

Allan from down under.

nsbrassnut
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Lee

Post by nsbrassnut » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:03 pm

Hi All

Based on comments in the book "In The Shadow of Detroit" Ford US didn't start shipping T parts to Canada until March of 1909 (reference was Detroit shipping invoices) and that barely 500 were even assembled in Canada during that model year, so I think the chance of two pedal Canadian, RHD is likely very low. I do know that by the time the late 1910 models with the cast aluminum hogs head did come in RHD as I got to view and photograph one a couple years ago.

Here are some pictures of the '14 - '16 Canadian RHD aluminum hogs head with the most of the parts stripped off for comparison. The casting shows mold lines around the right hand side where the pedal mounts are which suggest to me where th LHD patterns were modified to make RDH models.

Sorry about the upside down pictures, the system likes to flip some of my pictures.

Stay well.

Jeff
Nova Scotia
Canada
Attachments
CDN RHD 4.jpg
CDN RHD 3.jpg
CDN RHD 2.jpg
CDN RHD 1.jpg

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:50 pm

Thanks Jeff, this is exactly what I needed to know, good pictures too. I see what Allan was saying about the adjusters being on the outside for the brake and reverse and the Hi/Lo being on the inside of the Hogshead (just the opposite of the domestic cars).
Fun never quits!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic