Recommended specialty T tools for engine, transmission and rear axle work?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Recommended specialty T tools for engine, transmission and rear axle work?

Post by NealW » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:05 pm

There is nothing like having the right tool to do a job right. I learned that last year when doing all the spindle bushing work when I was restoring our 15 runabout. The T's are pretty simple to work on, but there are certain tools that were built by Ford, Stevens or Wilson that just make the job easier.

Short of doing babbitt work and crankshaft line boring, I have been trying to pick up original or reproduced tools that I would need in case I ever have to do major work on a T engine, transmission or rear axle. I have a copy of copy of McCalley's book showing the list of Ford tools that were made back in the day, but I was wondering if those who have done a lot of work on a T engine, transmission and rear axle would be willing to share your list of "you really got to have these tools" or even "these would be nice to have tools to have" so that I can keep an eye out for them in the future.

Thanks,

Neal

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Recommended specialty T tools for engine, transmission and rear axle work?

Post by John kuehn » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:10 pm

I have 3 T’s and working on them over the years I found that having the clutch drum puller, and driven gear puller that were the original Ford tools did help. Another tool that’s almost a necessity is the axle sleeve puller. I bought a repo from Lang’s and it does work well.

One job that’s tricky is getting the height of the magnets as even as you can get it. A tool that I wish that I had is the flywheel magnet height gauge. I did mine with out it but a gauge would be easier to get the height really close.

Most all of the ‘ speciality ‘ tools that’s considered to be a must have are reproduced and the vendors sell them but I don’t think the vendors have the driveshaft sleeve puller. That’s almost a must have.
BUT you can work on a T with today’s pullers and most other tools that a guy would have in his tool boxes and cabinet. Using a little ingenuity will get the job done!
Others will respond I’m sure with their ideas!

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:40 pm

This need is one good reason to join a chapter. Most of them have "tool cribs" available to members; the small fees sometimes charged go to help replace and/or acquire the very types of tools you mention.

Topic author
NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Post by NealW » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:13 pm

I agree that your local T club is a great resource for specialty tools, and one of the members of our club let me use his Stevens hub thread chaser to clean up the badly messed up threads on one of wheel hubs on our 15 restoration project.
John kuehn wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:10 pm
I found that having the clutch drum puller, and driven gear puller that were the original Ford tools did help.
I figured that the 5Z-314 and 5Z-326 pullers would be needed for the transmission. It appears that Stevens reproduced puller has adjustable arm spacing that would allow the puller to be used as a 314 and 326 puller. Has anyone tried to use it for both applications?

https://www.modeltford.com/item/5Z-314.aspx

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:17 pm

I've used the repro Stevens clutch drum puller - it works good although some of those drums can be quite difficult to remove ! I also have an original Stevens drum puller. And no, it pulls the clutch drum only - the driven gear requires a different puller.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:44 pm

Neil, the friend who lent you his Stevens thread tool for your hubs is a friend indeed. I will chase those threads for anyone who brings their wheels to me, either on the car or not, but there is no way I would let the tool out of my sight. There is a real knack getting the two pieces correctly sitting in those fine threads, and stripping them in the tool is not something i am willing to risk.

Allan from down under.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Everyone needs a Stevens Front Axle Tool. Dan 🤗

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Even if you have the correct puller that doesn’t always guarantee you’ll be successful in pulling a really though clutch drum or driven gear. That goes for any other situation you have to use a puller.
You can spread the clutch drum puller jaws on a tough drum.
You see these occasionally at swap meets or use to anyway.

Sometimes a torch or a 3ft. cheater pipe comes in handy. I have a 1” and 2” length of pipes to make pulling at little easier.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:06 pm

I find a battery strap helps a lot lifting the battery in and out.
Art Mirtes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic