Crankshaft Balancing...

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Crankshaft Balancing...

Post by Tim Rogers » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:51 pm

For people in the know- should the crank and flywheel be balanced separately and then balanced again as an assembly or just balance the assembly only?
balance.jpg
balance.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 4497 times
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Re: Crankshaft Balancing...

Post by Dan McEachern » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:01 pm

Crank separately, flywheel separately, trans drums separately. You can balance all your pieces EXCEPT the crank on that balancing stand because you can balance those pieces as a single plane rotor and a static balance will suffice. That is not the case for the crank- it needs to be dynamically balanced on a spin balancing machine.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:03 pm

Dan Knows!!!!!!!!!

Hank

J and M Machine
First Name: John
Last Name: Gulbankian

Post by J and M Machine » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:19 am

Tim Rogers wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:51 pm
For people in the know- should the crank and flywheel be balanced separately and then balanced again as an assembly or just balance the assembly only?

balance.jpg
As Dan mentioned the parts have to be balanced separately and don't forget to weigh the triple gears as most often they are off.
As seen in the pictures we dynamically "spin" crank and flywheel transmission drums and make corrections. We static balance "Weight match" the rods pistons and triple gears. Balancing the engine makes a big difference as most often the rods are way off along with flywheel since there's no way to keep weight of the magnets even. Balancing takes care of the out of weight situation and also makes the car so much better once done properly.
Attachments
IMG_4086.JPG
IMG_3025.JPG
IMG_3602.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_5179.JPG

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:59 pm

When determining the magnet to coil gap, the gap at the bottom is smaller than the gap at the top, due to the sag caused by the weight of the transmission on the end of the crankshaft. As the engine spins, I would assume this sag is one of the sources of the vibration inherent to the T that we all experience. How is this sag dealt with in attempting to balance the various components of the engine?

The babbited fourth bearing (ball cap) was designed to support the heavy transmission drive plate end shaft. When I rebuilt my engine in 2010, I sent my ball cap and drive plate off to George King III in Connecticut for him to re-babbit the bearing and machine the drive plate to fit, so I had a very close fitting drive plate that provided good support to the transmission, but even with a close fitting drive plate shaft, there was still somewhat of a sag to contend with when setting the magnets/coil gap. On T’s with the normal amount of drive plate to ball cap bearing wear, I’m sure the sag and resulting vibration is much more than on my T with its’ rebabbited fourth bearing and fitted drive plate and I find it difficult to imagine how this can be addressed in the balancing of the various components. Even with everything else perfectly balanced, as long as the sag remains, I don’t see much chance of eliminating the vibration. Jim Patrick

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:57 pm

...there's no way to keep weight of the magnets even.

Is there anything wrong with picking magnets that are all within a few grams and grinding a little off the ends of the heavier ones to equalize them before you charge and install them?
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:22 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:57 pm

Is there anything wrong with picking magnets that are all within a few grams and grinding a little off the ends of the heavier ones to equalize them before you charge and install them?
There's probably nothing wrong with that, but why bother? When they're installed on the flywheel, and the whole thing is balanced as a unit, it becomes irrelevant what each magnet weighs. It's all compensated for in the unit balance.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:31 pm

Steve, it can't do any harm. If your flywheel is dise\-assembled to check the magnets for cracks or to set the magnet keepers heights, matching the magnet weights is an easy job, but it does not need to be to the same degree of accuracy as other operations. The same goes for selecting a closely matched set of rods prior to re-babbiting them. The same goes for triple gears. It is easier to match rebushed gears if you start with reasonably close weights.

Allan from down under.

J and M Machine

Post by J and M Machine » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:46 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:57 pm

Hello MrJelf:
There's nothing wrong with that. HOWEVER: my time is your money so how would you like me to spend it?
My machine takes about 5-10 minutes at most to balance a flywheel assembled .
How long would you figure it takes you to weigh all the magnets and then grind them individually to get to the same equation?
The same context as you making the washers to shim the magnets to achieve the same heights. Nothing wrong doing it your way.
I'm not knocking you as you're doing it the way you like but naturally I have to do it as fast as i can to make it worthwhile as we are in business.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Thanks, John. That makes perfect sense.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Dan McEachern
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:52 am

To add to all that, when you get all the magnets weighing the same, get it all assembled, you still have no guarantee that the assembly will be even close to being balanced, as most flywheels have some pretty significant factory balance holes in them from the original factory balancing that compensated for all those unequal weight magnets.

henryford2
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Andulics
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 Truck, 1927 Roadster GOW, RAJO Sprint car
MTFCA Number: 9766

Post by henryford2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:24 pm

Just to add my two cents worth, the allowable amount of unbalance (residual) for specific applications can generally be found in several ISO standards. The physical shape of the part will often determine if the balance should be static or dynamic. With that said you can balance each part of an assembly to an acceptable range, only to have the total assembly out of balance. In my experience (not at the same level as Dan's) it becomes a case where the residual unbalance of the individual parts fall on the same plane (location). A blower assembly may vibrate (both the motor and blower wheel are balanced), but simply rotate the blower wheel on the motor shaft (no "D" shaped shaft) and the vibration may go away. So after all that, I've said pretty much the same thing as Dan, balancing the magnets may not produce the results you're looking for. Just my humble opinion, stay safe.

J and M Machine

Post by J and M Machine » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:02 pm

Here's a perfect example of the flywheel being Way off.
This is a 1914 we did .
It was off @ 134 grams almost 5 ounces per inch of the diameter of the flywheel.
Looking at it the total amount off was 1010 grams/ 2.2 pounds in total unbalance.
Combined weight of unbalance of the magnets and flywheel and also the plates.
After i drilled the two 1" holes I was able to get the total balance at two hundreds of a gram per inch and a total of tenth of a gram.
Better than it has to be but closer I get it, the better car runs and lasts.
Attachments
IMG_0406.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0407.JPG

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:00 pm

The bit which I find hard to understand is Ford balanced the flywheel before the magnets, keepers and screws were installed. I have no idea how this was done or how accurately. Perhaps it was just perfunctory to get things a little closer to some state of balance. Sure, modern equipment can do the job well on a fully built up flywheel assembly, but if you have the magnets off for inspection and individual charging, it make some sense to me to even up the weights before re-assembly. Then perhaps the amount of material needed to be removed to achieve balance will be considerably reduced.

Allan from down under.

dykker5502
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Deichmann
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)
MTFCA Number: 29116

Post by dykker5502 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:23 pm

A wheel is a wheel and I have now balanced 3 flywheels in a regular wheel balancing machine with succes. Here is the latest.
2020-08-05 13.15.27.jpg
alignment controlled:
2020-08-05 13.44.31.jpg
Of course the scale is not correct and you must remember when it says to add 5 grammes you should REMOVE material (not necesarily 5 grammes) from the opposite side of the wheel.
I believe it make it within 1 gram.
Ford Model T 1914 Touring
Ford Model T 1921 Roadster Pick-up
Ford Model T 1922 Fordor (danish build body)
ECCT, Strobospark, HCCT(Sold), Rebuilding coils

Roz
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe, 1925 TT, 1927 Speedster, 1931 Model A
MTFCA Number: 31449
MTFCI Number: 24373
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Roz » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:01 pm

I have a question for the balancing pros. I always have the flywheels dynamically balanced. I don’t know he how holds them in his machine, but I assumed it was on some sort of mandrel. It seems to me there might be a significant difference between locating in the center bore like the crank flange is located and locating off the chamfer around that hole. I just assembled one that I noticed the chamfer was way off center. I made sure to point that out to my balancer guy when I dropped it off. He said no problem. My lathe is not big enough to true it up with the center bore or I would have. I don’t know how he locates them, but I’m going to ask when I pick it up. How should it be located on the machine?

Dan McEachern

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:05 am

John showed a picture above of a pretty standard flywheel mandrel. The flywheel is radially located on the mandrel by the cone as shown above. The cone angle is steep enough that it contacts the edge of the bore in the flywheel- not the chamfer on the bore. BUT, as Dennis asked above, it is always good practice to indicate the inside diameter of the counter bore that locates the flywheel on the crank flange during setup, to make sure it is running true. To add to this, any clearance between the crank flange OD and the ID of the flywheel counterbore can introduce additional runout at assembly.

Now another fine point- did the crank grinder indicate the flange OD when the main journal was ground? As you can see, all the little details start piling up pretty quickly.
Last comment- balancing machines with modern electronics are amazingly sensitive- down to the point where you can chase a perfect balance using an 1/8" drill bit and the balancer will see the change in unbalance. It almost becomes a game where you want to see how "perfect" you can get it even after the machine is telling you that you are in spec for a given unbalance amount. Not so easy to do with older equipment. We upgraded our balancer about 4 years ago, and the difference was amazing- but not inexpensive.

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:13 am

Dan, I missed your earlier post re the factory balancing to counter the out of balance of the magnets etc. As the factory drillings are under the magnets, I supposed that factory effort was just to get the flywheel somewhere near balance. There seems to be no way the factory drillings are used to balance the assembled flywheel. Or, have I missed something?

Allan fromdown under.

Dan McEachern

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:44 am

Hi Allan- you may be correct on that point, but I have never balanced a stripped flywheel that was anywhere near being in balance and not needing correction. My only point was that weighing the magnets for equal weight does not replace balancing the entire assembly. Thanks for pointing out something that I may have overlooked.

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:57 pm

Dan, I have never even checked the balance of a naked flywheel with its factory drillings. Perhaps I should in future, purely out of interest. I have assembled flywheels balanced by a local machine shop. If I have a flywheel assembly torn down, I do make some attempt to match the weight of the magnets after any suspect ones have had the anvil crack test! I figure that if the weights are somewhat consistent, there should be less to do to bring the whole assembly into balance.I agree with a previous poster that it is not worth the effort to r=tear down a flywheel assembly just to match weigh the magnets.

Allan from down under.

Dennis Prince
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Dennis Prince » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:19 pm

A question for those in the know, a few of us in our group just acquired a crankshaft balancer and unfortunately before we could get any instruction on it the fellow we got it from passed away, I have been able to figure out how to set it up and make it work but it came with a Vibration Displacement Indicator and I have no idea what it does or how it works. I have found some for sale on the internet but no info on how it works or how to use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dykker5502
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)

Post by dykker5502 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:19 pm

FWIW - I do not think Ford balanced the flywheel until relatively late in the era. The first T flywheel I did was a 1927 engine which had some drillings (I have had all the magnets off and not marked them to put them back the same places). The one on the pictures above is from a march 1925 with no drillings what so ever.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:04 am

Michael

Ford balanced the flywheels, Ford Methods and Ford Shops (1914-1915) lists the 16 mfg. (machining) steps from raw casting of T-701 gray iron weight of 41 lbs. to finished 35lbs. The last step is noted "16. Balance on Rockford Tool Company's balancing machine." No photos of that operation, but the flywheels were in some type of balance.

IMG_9010 (500x419) (500x419) (450x377).jpg
IMG_9010 (500x419) (500x419) (450x377).jpg (127.93 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
IMG_9011 (500x375).jpg
IMG_9011 (500x375).jpg (129.43 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

dykker5502

Post by dykker5502 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:12 pm

Nothing that can destroy a good discussion like documented facts :-)

However - I've seen flywheels with no drilling but which where not balanced to the precision we can do today. One explanation can be that the magnets most likely was not put back in the same order.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:52 pm

Thanks Michael

Yet to see a flywheel w/o blind drill holes or wide smooth grind marks on the flat surfaces indicating balancing at the factory.

This is 1924 engine flywheel, single hole.

77C7853F-5E53-4B13-921C-6648F3D0E02D.jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Dennis Prince
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Dennis Prince » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:16 pm

I thought that pictures of the Vibration Displacement Indicator might help to identify its operation.
IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG (44.89 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
IMG_1412.JPG
IMG_1412.JPG (35.88 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG (43.36 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1415.JPG (39.33 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG (25.04 KiB) Viewed 3112 times

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott