"T" Parts Terminology

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

"T" Parts Terminology

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:38 pm

I guess maybe due to COVID, I've had just a bit too much time, sitting around "contemplating" things, some of which really don't really matter. (....altho' it does sometimes lead to confusion.) However, in this regard, I can't help but notice that not only on the forum, but even in well known and respected Model "T" books, magazine articles, manuals, etc, etc, many Model T parts seem to have more than one name. Got me to wondering which parts have the most names, and one that comes to mind is the tappet. Besides "tappet", they are called tappets, valve lifters, or just lifters, cam followers, or, the one that really "gets me" is "pushrod"! In the Model T Ford Manual, they are actually called "pushrods", and I suppose until modern overhead valve engines became common design, maybe "Henrys" term "pushrod" would have been okay, but nowadays, I'm sorry,...."pushrod" just does NOT sound right to me! When most "T" guys, in fact, most "gear heads" know what a "pushrod" is, and it doesn't have anything to do with Model T Fords! In fact, a Model T Ford (tappet?) is not even made out of a "rod", right? O.K.,....enough. But I was just wondering if anyone can think of another "T" part that has more part names than the tappet, ....???

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: "T" Parts Terminology

Post by George House » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:51 pm

Front radius rod/Wishbone....Timer/Commutator (and more recently on this Forum: “Commuter”)
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:01 pm

Often the manuals, the handbook, instructions, guide and bible don't agree. :lol:
When did I do that?

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:05 pm

2nighthawks wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:38 pm
. . . I suppose until modern overhead valve engines became common design, maybe "Henrys" term "pushrod" would have been okay . . .
I find it interesting that Buick's 1904 model B was (arguably) the first mass-produced OHV automobile engine. Overhead valves were a Buick hallmark from then on.

When it comes to terminology, "thingy" is a precise term that usually clears up any confusion over nomenclature. :lol:
"Get a horse !"

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:07 am

I've heard "lifters" also called "rollers" but that would not apply to a Model T unless someone 𝚞̶𝚙̶𝚐̶𝚛̶𝚊̶𝚍̶𝚎̶𝚍̶ modernized it.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Post by Chris Barker » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:08 am

The most blatant example is MAGNETO. In every other application - cars, trucks, aeroplanes - a magneto is a device that generates very high voltage pulses that power spark plugs directly. The thing on the Model T flywheel is an alternator.

In Britain, we have a problem with 'cotter pin'. To us, a cotter pin is the thing that used to fix bicycle pedals in place - a tapered pin with a thread on the thin end. We use 'split pins' to stop castellated nuts loosening.

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:56 am

And then there are bonnets, boots, windscreens, carburettors, and calling down to the front desk in the hotel to be knocked up in the morning. As Winston Churchill noted, Britain and America are two countries separated by a common language.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:19 am

A term used in Ireland to describe an unknown item is "yoke". I've heard it used in reference to an entire car, as 'how many miles on the yoke?', and by mechanics, as in 'this yoke secures the petrol cap'. ymmv

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:49 am

George House wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:51 pm
... (and more recently on this Forum: “Commuter”) ...
I have also heard it called a "commentator."

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:58 pm

Magneto/Magneto coils/coils...spark coils/ignition coils/buzz coils/buzz box...Jim Patrick

Corey Walker
First Name: Corey
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 runabout, 1921 homemade truck, 1921 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 51502
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Corey Walker » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:22 pm

My grandpa, born in 1915, used to always talk about “modelber rims.” He must’ve heard someone that couldn’t read well call them that instead of “demountable”, or maybe he didn’t read well when he was the age those wheels were around.
Corey Walker, Brownsboro, Texas

Tourabout
First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Price

Post by Tourabout » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:43 pm

I’ve heard the timer called a communicator.
Growing up here in the south we always called the tin Lizzie a T Model and that’s what I still call it. I have been corrected several times over the years that it is a Model T but to me it is a T Model. 😜

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic