Help!!! I can't find a top pattern!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

Help!!! I can't find a top pattern!

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:55 pm

I was offered a free top, made by someone who could get the materials and make it themselves, but the catch was that I had to supply the pattern in either detailed measurements or an old top I could loan him as a template. Does anyone have a diagram with measurements for a 27 touring top, or maybe someone has an old top I could borrow for a template?
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: Help!!! I can't find a top pattern!

Post by Original Smith » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:30 am

Don't skimp on a top. Get in touch with Mike Francis at Classtique. He makes the best kits around. Be sure to specify the Turf Grain pattern, which is very close to the original. Don't fall for the Colonial grain which is a little cheaper. After retiring I took an automotive upholstery course. It's one of the most rewarding things I have ever done, but I did have a pattern, and that helps. I have made two tops, boots, and upholstery. It's loads of fun.

ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:40 am

Jonah, here is a good follow-along of putting on a two-man top. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3803&p=47227&hilit=top#p28833 The Classtique videos help but Royce Peterson's article was the most helpful: https://modeltfordfix.com/installing-a- ... r-model-t/
Jonah D'Avella wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:55 pm
I was offered a free top, made by someone who could get the materials and make it themselves, but the catch was that I had to supply the pattern in either detailed measurements or an old top I could loan him as a template. Does anyone have a diagram with measurements for a 27 touring top, or maybe someone has an old top I could borrow for a template?

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:37 pm

Thanks for the help, does anyone now were I can get a pattern? I can get the correct material.
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:43 pm

There are no patterns out there and anyone who “lends” you a top had better accept the fact that it will be returned in pieces, for there is no way to make a pattern without unstitching it in order to get the actual size of the individual pieces. Also, there is padding and fasteners you’ll need to get, Plus the shipping both ways will cost money. You need to accept the fact there are some things you will need to save up and pay for in order not to wind up with substandard, ill-fitting results that, not only do not function as intended, but look like what it is. An attempt to save money at the expense of quality. I wager that, by the time you buy the proper waterproofed roofing materials, padding and fasteners and your friend presents you with a bill, you will end up paying much more that you would have, were you to get a professionally made kit from “Classtique”. I also bet that once your friend gets into it, he will realize that he has made claims he cannot live up to and will have to bow out, especially if he does not have a professional, heavy duty upholsterer’s sewing machine designed for very thick materials.

When I was 16 in 1970 and restoring my 1926 coupe, it was in terrible shape and needed everything (badly rusted and dented body with bullet holes in the side, rotted wood, rotten upholstery and top, broken glass, worn out, rotten tires, rat damaged wiring, etc.). I had an after school part time job bagging groceries at $1.65/hr and did not make much money, but what I did make, I saved until I got enough for the next part. That is what you need to do. Slow down, save up and do it right. I have learned from first hand experience that efforts to take short cuts, often cost you more and provide you with less. Jim Patrick

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:10 pm

A few years ago I took some NOS top pieces to Hershey and could not give them away. No one wanted them. Ended up in the trash. Dan.

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:40 pm

Thank you all for your advice, my friend has a professional canvas sewing machine and how's the knowledge materials and experience to do what he needs to do. He also has work on restoring old cars and knows what he's talking about. If anyone does have a top that they would let me use, I will replace it with a new top made with new correct material.
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:44 pm

If he knows all that, he doesn’t need a pattern. There are key measurements on line.

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:03 pm

in many ways the top covering job itself is simple, in other ways it is not. The pads must be made separately to the top covering. You need to set the top bows in position and lock them there, then you can measure and make everything. Once the top bows are secure, and the pads in place use some cheap material to make the patttern, use the many photos available out there to figure out the "hems" and other special finishing stitching. If memory serves me right, you end up with three 'sections"; the back panel, the front bow/windshield "flap" and the top. Yep, I'm not counting the bow drill nor pads in those three parts.
Yes, having a well-done top nearby to reference to would be helpful, but having one to take apart isn't necessary, as each top is slightly different due to bow variations. The kits are made with some extra margin on the materials to deal with that. An experienced person with a good sewing machine and attention to detail can produce a top that fits better than the factory--actually I've seen an inexperienced person who was VERY attentive to details do an excellent job.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Dropacent, were can i find the key measurements?
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:43 pm

Cmon, Jonah. I found them in 2 seconds and I’m a computer illiterate
F4256146-0550-46A3-A51F-3F23481E28A0.png

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:11 pm

I apologize for my incompetence, I was just wondering if you knew of any specific websites. I am limited in in the amount that I am allowed to web search.
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:38 pm

Jonah,

Use the search function at the top of the page. Much faster than waiting here for an answer. Sometimes you have to try different topics to get your answer. Sometimes you can use google and just include MTFCA or Model T ford in your search. You are not incompetant. You are just learning and remember that no question is a dumb question. We all have to learn somehow.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:53 pm

Hi Jonah
Another thing to consider is to buy a top kit instead of making one. The kits that are sold are pretty much complete minus the bows, top pads and some finish hardware. You can check them out at the parts suppliers websites.
If you already have the top bows that’s a plus.
That’s a wonderful gesture for someone to make the top if you furnish the patterns so that might work out.

The top material that’s in the kits still needs to be attached to the top bows and fitted here and there when installing it. The instructions tell you what to do and where and how to nail the material. It does take a little time to do it even with the top kits.

Good luck with your restoration and take your time when fitting the top.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:00 pm

I could be wrong but I don’t think you will be able to find the 1927 touring top pattern in the form you need for your friend to use to make the top. That is, the individual pieces necessary to create the entire top from the waterproof top material you purchase. I searched the web using several different descriptions using “mtfca” in the search and, if I could have found a pattern, I would have posted it here for you. Sorry. Maybe someone else will have better luck, but I still think purchasing a kit from Classtique will be cheaper and better in the long run, but I commend you for your faith and perseverance. Jim Patrick

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:48 pm

What are the main differences between a 27 touring top and a 25 touring top?
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:57 pm

I looked in the MTFCA photo gallery and found two good pictures taken from the side: the ‘25 T roadster was posted by Dan Treace and the ‘26 T roadster was posted by George N Lake Ozark. Comparing the two pictures might give you a idea of the differences. If, when I post them on this thread, they are too small to see details, you can go directly to the gallery and click onto the pictures to zoom in and have a close up look. Jim Patrick
8EA7B63D-0149-4A94-9E8A-40A983065EC6.jpeg
2B42A5B2-A4C8-4EBB-826E-597156736C3F.jpeg
2B42A5B2-A4C8-4EBB-826E-597156736C3F.jpeg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 2578 times

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:16 am

Ah, but a roadster top and a touring top are very different in the "cuts" so try to look at tourings only!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

W Austen
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Austen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915

Post by W Austen » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:05 am

The red "Model T Ford Handbook" by Leslie Henry shows how to make a pattern and top. I believe the book is still available from dealers.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:30 am

As I mentioned above, don't skimp! Most original tops have common sense fasteners secured inside the material that is placed before being sewn together. Are you willing to forget about that possibility to get an incorrect top for your car? Also your question about a 1925 top being the same as a 1926 top is ridiculous, being the two cars are totally different! You need to learn how to do research. If you don't have Model T, The Car That Changed The World, by Bruce McCalley, you need a copy. Many of your questions will be answered in that book.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:55 am

He's a young kid, Smith.

He's not nearly as knowledgeable as you, but he is far more polite. My experience has shown me that a lack of knowledge can be overcome with age and education, but rudeness is usually forever.
Last edited by Scott_Conger on Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

jab35
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615

Post by jab35 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:15 pm

Jonah: Here are some links that should help you. Follow your parents’ internet browsing guidelines. Everything I’ve viewed appears safe and legit to me. Some of this might have already been identified by others on our forum.

This one might already have been recommended,
1926 touring top discussion and photos: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1232637852

Excellent discussion and instructions in this one,
AACA Forum discussion:
https://forums.aaca.org/topic/198684-re ... -ew-stitt/

Lots of detailed photos, but remember it’s a 1923, not a ‘26
1923 touring top replacement slideshow:
http://www.cimorelli.com/23-touring-top-web/

Model T Ford restoration Handbook, I found several on e-bay, here’s one example and I have no connection to this seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-R ... Swi2Rfstws

This was one of the first books I purchased and it was first published in the 1960’s. A wealth of information, but very low quality paper and as a result the images are not sharp. There are no patterns shown. The article ‘How to make your own top by E. W. Stitt is on pp 86-95. How to make the boot for the top is on pg 96.

Good luck with your project, jb

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:37 pm

A new copy of the “Model T Restoration Handbook” (red book) was one of my first purchases in 1970 and contained a wealth of information. The other two pictures are two other, just as useful books that helped me immensely in the two year restoration of my 1926 coupe. Believe me. As inquisitive and into your Model T project as you are, when you get them, you will spend many a late night up reading them. I was still in school and my grades suffered because I spent all my time studying these books, learning all about my T. The most useful information, to me in the red book was several pages in the back with the names, addresses and phone numbers of all of the Model T parts vendors and service providers available in 1970. I spent a lot of time writing to them and on the phone for parts I needed. Hopefully, they update the list with each new publication, so try and get the most recent publication for the most up to date list of vendors. Jim Patrick

E7A329B2-9C8F-425C-B211-4A02916BCCB8.jpeg
E7A329B2-9C8F-425C-B211-4A02916BCCB8.jpeg (78.55 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
F7C5728A-96E3-4B30-957B-C542677FCDAA.jpeg
A7A9D98A-8BC2-4EA4-8E7A-805E1638E37C.jpeg
Last edited by jiminbartow on Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:51 pm

Scott

I agree. It is nice to see Jonah ask so many questions. That is how you learn. Hopefully he will be able to purchase a few books and then he will be able to answer his own questions.

Jonah

Dont hesitate to ask questions. All of us are here to help you and encourage you.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:17 pm

Keep asking questions Jonah! It’s great to see someone who really has an interest in Model T’s and a super attitude! Those two things will take you far in the T hobby.
This is the place to learn and we are here for you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic