Help needed: Replacing rear wood wheel hubs.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Brian Cress
First Name: BRIAN
Last Name: CRESS
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedsters, Roadster, Hack
MTFCA Number: 29555
MTFCI Number: 15565

Help needed: Replacing rear wood wheel hubs.

Post by Brian Cress » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:58 pm

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for removing the rear hub from a wood spoke wheel with out damaging the spokes? We have centered the wheel on a piece of 6 1/2" ID tubing in a hydraulic press and applied 10 tons of pressure to the hub with no success. It acts like the front plate is frozen to the hub.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Brian

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Help needed: Replacing rear wood wheel hubs.

Post by DanTreace » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:04 pm

Details in this post on removing the hub plate, has to come off to drive the hub out.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29 ... 1161444998
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:07 pm

Spray some water around the hub and in-between the spokes, let sit over night and try again. You did remove the outside pinch ring first? I not, hand sand the area first before attempting or it will only dig in more.

Hope this Helps,

Hank

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:10 pm

Good advice. Jack Daron’s techniques always the best. I would only advise that “blunt punch” be brass and not steel so as not to disfigure square carriage bolt holes.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Topic author
Brian Cress

Post by Brian Cress » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:17 pm

Wow, very helpful replys. Thanks so much. We will give her another try in the morning.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:43 pm

The hub plate can be a real bear! The method in the link above is the way to do it!
Last edited by Jerry VanOoteghem on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:23 pm

In addition, you can heat the plate with a torch and get it pretty warm without charring the wood spokes. The heat will cause the ring to expand slightly. Also, once you have the plate hot, run a crayon around the id of the plate and let the melted paraffin migrate into the interface between the flange and the hub.

ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:47 pm

Build or borrow a Reagan spoke press. http://www.funprojects.com/techinfo and choose 'Wheel Assembly Press Plans' from the drop down. Also Steve Jelf's video is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZ7WrfHdf8 I've used it to assemble wheels but also to change a front hub to a rear and vise versa.
Brian Cress wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:58 pm
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for removing the rear hub from a wood spoke wheel with out damaging the spokes? We have centered the wheel on a piece of 6 1/2" ID tubing in a hydraulic press and applied 10 tons of pressure to the hub with no success. It acts like the front plate is frozen to the hub.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Brian

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:38 am

What complicates the removal, even after the hub plate is removed, is the fact that you can only support the spokes outside of the 6-1/2" perimeter of the hub flange. When supported that way, you create a fulcrum point for the spokes. Pushing on the hub, causes the spokes to rock on that fulcrum and to therefore, pinch in on the hub, making things even tighter. I think that using a press makes it even worse, with it's constant pressure. I would try placing a hunk of hardwood over the hub nose and whacking it repeatedly with a big hammer. I think the shock of the hammer blows will do more than the constant pressure of a press.

Topic author
Brian Cress

Post by Brian Cress » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:58 pm

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! A huge thank you to all those that replied and the entire MTFCA family. The open sharing of information is what makes this hobby special.
Again, I thank you all.
Brian

ewdysar
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Dysart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1916 Touring, 1927 Runabout

Post by ewdysar » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:40 pm

Brian Cress wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:58 pm
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! A huge thank you to all those that replied and the entire MTFCA family. The open sharing of information is what makes this hobby special.
Again, I thank you all.
Brian
Congratulations! So with a couple of suggestions provided in this thread, what worked for you?

Eric

Topic author
Brian Cress

Post by Brian Cress » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:47 am

Hi Eric. We used Jack Daron's process that Pete Ruzicka detailed in the 2006 link that Dan Treace provided at the top of this thread.
It was time consuming, but worked well when used with a little patience. The biggest thing we learned is that brut force does not work! Rotating the outter plate is the key. Once we got the plate broke loose, it took several lighter taps in all 6 bolt holes to rotate it around. The plate can bind up on the hub if you use too much force. Once rotated, we tapped the plate off from the back as described. Light taps in every other hole kept it from binding on the hub.
Brian

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:38 am

That outer plate lip acts like the little spring clips used to hold diecast badges on 50's cars. The more pressure you apply the more it digs in. It needs to be freed up first, and that part of the hub which shows out side the centre flange needs to be spotlessly clean too so it can be driven off without interference.

AllAn from down under.

pruzicka
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Ruzicka
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1

Post by pruzicka » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:45 pm

I am very happy that I documented the technique from Jack D. The very reason I thought it was important to document this in place it on the form was to help someone in the future. I still have my 1917 Model T but due to health reasons I am now going to pass it on to my twin brother. He and I both loved Model T’s growing up. This was mostly do the stories that were told to me by my father and mother when I was young. My uncles used to use one on a trap line and when hunting. So that’s what inspired my love for Model T. The car is been used for pleasure and even was a feature car in a wedding. It also was a feature car in a local show in 2017 when my car had its birthday determined by the serial number which said it was dated in August. I currently suffer from ALS. So I was unable to do any work on my cars for about a year and a half now. I really enjoyed my Model T! I enjoyed working on it driving it and telling people the history over the Model T and answering questions about it. I sorely miss working on his car. This car was one of my most cherished what possessions. I’d like to think the forum for all the great people and advice!

Topic author
Brian Cress

Post by Brian Cress » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:50 pm

Hello Peter,
I am so glad that you found our post. I hope you are pleased to see your efforts being appretiated by others. Thank you for your contribution to our hobby and I hope you continue to enjoy it for many years to come.
Best wishes, Brian

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic